Volunteering at Glastonbury

normalperson

Hi, first I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, I did a quick search and couldn't find much. If it has feel free to just link me threads and I'll leave you all alone.

I'm looking into volunteering for Glastonbury this year, but have a few concerns, I've done a few festivals before but never Glastonbury and never volunteered. I am worried that it'll ruin the "magic" of my first Glastonbury if I volunteer the first time I am there, is this likely to be the case, will I likely just feel like I missed out all weekend?

Also in the future I want to volunteer at festivals and am worried as Glastonbury is so large it won't give me a fair view of what volunteering is like, how similar is it compared to other festivals?

Sorry if my queries are a bit subjective!

Cheers

It's all massively subjective but..

Yeah, there's definitely a risk that you feel like you missed out. While some of the groups you can volunteer with will have a certain amount of flexibility on shift patterns (allowing swaps etc) not all of them will, and ultimately you will need to put in the hours - for the vast majority of roles that means 24 hours largely during the 5 days of the Festival. There are groups that require less, or shifts before/after the event, but obviously they're a lot harder to find/get.

The thing is, Glastonbury is so big, with so much going on at times that even going as a ticket holder and having full control over your own schedule, there's a good chance you end up thinking you've missed out on something or other.

The "fair view" of volunteering thing is pretty difficult to answer - within the realm of festival volunteering generally there's a huge variery of roles. As Glastonbury is on a completely different scale to everything else far more staff are needed and as a result the roles allocated to different organisations are quite narrow compared to other events.. For example if you volunteer with Festaff at Glastonbury then you'll be doing wristbanding and nothing else, whereas their roles at other events are likely to be a lot more varied.

6 hours ago, normalperson said:

Hi, first I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, I did a quick search and couldn't find much. If it has feel free to just link me threads and I'll leave you all alone.

I'm looking into volunteering for Glastonbury this year, but have a few concerns, I've done a few festivals before but never Glastonbury and never volunteered. I am worried that it'll ruin the "magic" of my first Glastonbury if I volunteer the first time I am there, is this likely to be the case, will I likely just feel like I missed out all weekend?

Also in the future I want to volunteer at festivals and am worried as Glastonbury is so large it won't give me a fair view of what volunteering is like, how similar is it compared to other festivals?

Sorry if my queries are a bit subjective!

Cheers

I have swung both ways - from 1979 to 1987 as a Punter and as a Volunteer since 1989 - in fact some of the early ones you had to be very local { as not even National Oxfam was involved } - it was all friends of a friend to get a job - The WBC started running bars in 1986 and I asked them how I could become a Volunteer and I was told I would have to be a member of the TUC but they changed the rules and they let me join in 1989 and I have remained a Volunteer ever since even although they offered me a Paid Job in the 90's

Over the years I have worked every shift going { and some over night shifts as well when the bars were open 24 hours per day { they only did it at a few events } 

'incident' is correct as there is some people who don't actually work while the festival is on and there are others who only ever work a ' day shift ' but its easy to get bogged down and if you wait for the right job to come up ' you will have a long wait ' 

I have never felt I have missed out - in fact most people don't have access to a 24 hour Marquee which has its own power supply where Crew can sit about and have a drink and a laugh all night if they wish { and some do stay there all night }

You get to see ' behind the scenes ' - where my Crew camp is there is various other groups of workers { all within their own camp } and on the Monday and Tuesday its possible to visit other Crew Bars and meet other people.   

I have worked at various festivals and just because they are smaller than Glastonbury has not bothered me at all.

In fact ' within the crew camp ' the actual set up is the same and some of the smaller ones do have the advantage that the crew car park is very close to the crew camp. 

I am in the lucky situation that my place at Glastonbury was reserved for me last year so I don't have to hunt for a place and I can pick my own shifts {but that only happens due to my long volunteer history with the WBC}

Due to when I had Cancer the WBC offered me a Glastonbury Guest ticket but I turned it down as I preferred to stay with my Team and work with them.

Once you become a Volunteer you will never want to be a Punter again.

my Punter wrist bands { cant find the ones before 1983 } just to prove I was a Punter at one stage. 

0174_o.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! I definitely want to have a go at volunteering in the future, but think I'll hold out and do at least my first year at Glastonbury as a punter.

I'll just have a go at the resale and apply to volunteer at different festivals for this summer, considering either Latitude or Reading (done Reading the last few years so know it quite well).

1 hour ago, normalperson said:

Thanks for all the advice! I definitely want to have a go at volunteering in the future, but think I'll hold out and do at least my first year at Glastonbury as a punter.

I'll just have a go at the resale and apply to volunteer at different festivals for this summer, considering either Latitude or Reading (done Reading the last few years so know it quite well).

well in that case ' keep this link under your hat ' http://www.hotboxevents.com/

even although its a strange name they are connected to the Promoter of Latitude and Reading { who I personally know } 

its three 8 hour shifts and they have various duties - after a few years many are promoted to Supervisor { well the people I know have all been promoted }

They demand that everyone has a Police National Computer check made before they get offered a place.

I have seen their Crew Campsite at Latitude - its all very basic but they appear happy enough.

they start the process on Monday 1st February 2016 but you can do it now by setting up a Hotbox Events PAAM account and they will e-mail you when the process starts.

only real downsides is - you have to pay for your own transport and your meals. 

Thanks for the link and the info, all really appreciated!

Just set myself up an account, will hopeful do one as a volunteer and one as a punter, then get my glastonbury ticket in the resale.

Do you know much about the police check? Not a UK resident but I had one completed recently (I can PM you with details if so, if not I'll query it with Hotbox Events)

3 hours ago, normalperson said:

Just set myself up an account, will hopeful do one as a volunteer and one as a punter, then get my glastonbury ticket in the resale.

Do you know much about the police check? Not a UK resident but I had one completed recently (I can PM you with details if so, if not I'll query it with Hotbox Events)

sorry I don't know  because the WBC does not do a Police Check and the rules about who can and cant be a volunteer is covered at 

'people from the EU' 

http://www.hotboxevents.com/faq/1/Applying-to-volunteer/#answer46

'people not from the EU'

http://www.hotboxevents.com/faq/1/Applying-to-volunteer/#answer52

At the end of the day ' they are the only ones ' who can explain  what proof they expect to see with regards a 'police check'

don't forget that you can reach them via Facebook and twitter

if you are from Ireland then it should be simple but anywhere else it gets complicated.

years ago no one bothered about ' status ' but then all of a sudden they had to comply with UK Border Agency { or whatever name they are using this week } 

I've done both too (though not to the same extent as glasto worker) being an ordinary punter in 2003 & 4 before working/volunteering for recycling crew/litter pickers in 2005, 10, 11 & 13.  Initial volunteering was born out of not getting a ticket in 2005 but since then it has been a good way of me getting to/affording Glastonbury and I have generally enjoyed it.  I have tried a couple of times to get tickets so as could take the kids but was unsuccessful.  I am glad that my 1st experiences were as a punter as gave me flexibility to fully explore and enjoy the festival but I know people that volunteered at their 1st festival and thoroughly enjoyed it.  If it was a choice of going or not going to your first one I'd definitely volunteer these days (maybe it's my age!).

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2016 at 3:00 PM, normalperson said:

I know you were looking at other events to work at.

please note I have no connection to them

-------- below is their words -------

Interested in volunteering with us in 2016? You can get priority access to opportunities at all our festivals by joining our pool of amazing volunteers.

Being a Charity Concierge is unlike any other festival volunteering experience. The work is fun and engaging and you’ll enjoy the feeling of raising life-changing funds, while offering festival customers a service they really want!

Concierges love working hard and accomplishing great things as a team, but they also enjoy plenty of time off to enjoy the festival (at Latitude, all our concierges worked just three, six hour shifts and all were given at least one full day off.) Be a part of  our fantastic, fun team of people working to change the lives of vulnerable children.

Download Festival (10th-12th June 2016, Leicestershire)
Latitude Festival (14th-17th July 2016, Suffolk)
V Festival (19th-21st August 2016, Essex)
Electric Picnic (2nd-4th September 2016, Dublin)

' application ' http://child.org/charity-concierge-2016

I've only ever worked Glastonbury and have done the last 7. 

I've never felt like my festival was spoiled by working at it.

Sure you may get shifts that clash with your favourite band, but so what, there will still be amazing bands playing when you're not on shift that you get to see FOR FREE!

• 3 weeks later...

I worked last year. I'm working again this year, and I won't be going back as a normal punter for a while yet if I can help it. For me, getting on site early and having the run of the place before the public arrived was utterly priceless. 

8 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I worked last year. I'm working again this year, and I won't be going back as a normal punter for a while yet if I can help it. For me, getting on site early and having the run of the place before the public arrived was utterly priceless. 

were you aware that your normal GFL crew wristband will get you into the interstage area any day ' before the public gates open ' ?

29 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

were you aware that your normal GFL crew wristband will get you into the interstage area any day ' before the public gates open ' ?

Yep, I was! I didn't make use of it last time though - too much going on elsewhere. Definitely something I'll do this year though!

On 2/16/2016 at 8:26 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'm working for 5th time this year on recycling crew and will be going on site before the gates open for the 1st time this year.

I'll be working for the first time this year, I signed up to work volunteer for shelter this week. I missed out on general sale tickets. I'm really looking forward to working it this year, it will be a different experience. Through I know shelter run some of the bars, I don't have many other details! ha

7 minutes ago, benc said:

I'll be working for the first time this year, I signed up to work volunteer for shelter this week. I missed out on general sale tickets. I'm really looking forward to working it this year, it will be a different experience. Through I know shelter run some of the bars, I don't have many other details! ha

Shelter don't run any of the bars - they supply staff for Avalon Bars here is the 2014 map { I have the 2015 one but its on another computer but its basically the same } - they run it very similar to the WBC { which is no big surprise as all the directors used to work for the wbc } except many of the bars use a cashier system so it takes longer than other bars.They have various shifts { which should have been explained
in the terms and conditions }

As long as you listen { you will have to go to a briefing day } then you will be ready to get started on whichever day you start - that all depends on which bar you have been allocated.

The main Tent Managers all have vast experience so they will be hanging about waiting to help out anyone who is a slow learner.

its good fun and you should enjoy it.

AVALON-Site-Map-2014.jpg

1 hour ago, benc said:

Nice! I didn't realise they supplied to workforce for so many bars.

Although outside of the fence, the campsite looks like it's nicely situated.

That crew site is very close to where the WBC used to have a camp in 1989 - it may be outside the wall but its all fenced off so its very safe - most of their bars used to be run by the WBC so I have worked in most of them  - best bar by far is Cockmill - worst bar is the Pimms Bus - a right pain in the arse to work in. Another good walk in bar is the Park Bar.

what that map does not show is there is a crew bar within the Avalon crew site and that will be cheaper than all the other bars and will remain open later that the rest of the bars.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

We were never sure when the Avalon site crew bar would open or shut last year. it seemed to operate on an ad hoc basis !. 

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

Most of the bars run by Avalon last year were staffed by volunteers and at least one one that I was aware of was worked by paid staff.

Avalon does not have to use Shelter volunteers { or  Environmental Justice Foundation volunteers } although they prefer to have volunteers.

its a best fit situation.

They have a dozen or so bars - all the Managers are paid staff and in a ideal world Shelter and EJF would supply enough volunteers but they do have drop outs for one reason or the other so Avalon has no choice but to use Agency staff from time to time.

all the Agency staff are on a different contract to all the volunteers and due to certain problems that has cropped up with Agency staff in the past it makes sense to keep them separate.

I have seen Agency staff in action and trust me if they could that would be a last option.

if you find the same situation - walk into the bar where the Agency staff are working and check out how many Managers are watching them - it will be a lot more than a normal bar where its staffed by normal  volunteers.

-----

Jean who was in charge of the Avalon site crew bar is a very old hand { god knows what age she is now } and again in a perfect world she would keep the bar open for so many hours per day but if Avalon was short of normal volunteers then this may explain the erratic hours.

The WBC has a bigger network so they can avoid most of the volunteer retention problems and we make bloody sure the WBC crew bar remains open until at least one hour after any bar closes - I know this because for various reasons my Team in recent years always work the crew bar and if we ever spot a bar had to remain open
for some reason or the other we will work on { past our normal shift } to keep the bar running - some nights it remains open until 6am.

I have a simple part solution to your problem - if you find the Avalon site crew bar to be closed approach one of the senior Avalon Managers and volunteer with a few friends to help them out - it may sound a crazy idea but trust me they will approve it - work for a few hours and then shout out and you will find other willing volunteers to replace you.

20 or so years ago { long before Avalon split from the wbc } this was a common situation as the WBC used to not supply enough volunteers to keep the crew bar open.I have lost count how many times my friends and I kept that bar running just to help out. 

sure its a few hours extra work but Avalon will repay you with extra drinks so its a win win situation.

Hi everyone, new here! Couple of quick questions

Was looking at trying to get a volunteering place for glasto this year but struggling to talk my mates round to the idea. So was wondering is there ever many people working it on their own kind of looking to just meet people there? Would be up for doing that but can easily see everyone already being in groups

Also anyone thats applied through oxfam/festaff - If you're fairly quick off the mark is there a decent chance you'll get it? Or is it more or less a lottery for a first time application

There'll be plenty of people on their own - probably a much higher percentage than amongst ticket buyers. And because you arrive a day or two early, there's a good chance to get to know your fellow stewards before the Festival proper kicks in.

Oxfam is first come first served. It's a fair bet that they'll fill their places quickly when public applications open, last year was within an hour, so like with the ticket sales its a case of knowing your stuff in advance, and being ready.

With that in mind, check out their web site - there's a lot of information there, and you can register your main details in advance so that when applications open you can log straight in and add a festival - skipping most of the steps. The key date is March 15th, so I'd suggest getting prepared before then.