Parking

stabbyjess

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and a newbie to Glastonbury. Next year will be my first time and I can't wait!

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many a time.... When is it that I can buy my car park pass? I assume it's when I pay off the balance of my ticket but not sure. 

Cheers :)

I would worry less about where you park than where you camp. You're going to be on site for the best part of a week so want to be in a location that is closest to where you are likely to be at the end of the night.

That said, possibly the most important thing is to take a note of what field and where in it your car is parked - relative to fixed things like fences, gates and pylons.

Don't make the mistake I made years ago of just making a mental note that my car was next to a big red van.  When I came to leave the van had already gone and I spent a couple of hours pushing my wheelbarrow around the fields till I found my car.

Wherever you park, some people have suggested splitting the load, so that you can take your tent first and pitch in your desired spot without having to carry everything else at the same time.  That means that you have to come back to your car for the rest of your stuff, but at least you don't start the festival knackered by carrying 2 tons of kit in 1 go.

The last two times I've driven, we've parked very close as we arrived Tuesday night. On both occasions we got out easily,  particularly this year when we drove straight out. We were in the car before 10am each time though, don't know how much difference the time makes.

1 hour ago, stabbyjess said:

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated, can't explain how excited I am and it's still so far away!

I may as well let you know now, you'll be planning for the next sales on the journey home in June ;-)

And check under the car before driving off.

A few years ago { before the site was expanded over to the West - may have been 2007 }

The Crew car park was next to the wall and the public car parks were behind that field - I parked very near to the wall and the public path - for some reason I had to leave very early Monday morning { so it was still very dark } as I was moving my gear I had my small torch out and the beam caught something under my car - banged the gear in and decided to have a look - someone had stashed a dozen glass bottles of Beck's beer right behind my front wheel - if I had not spotted them I would have driven over the bloody lot - where they came from I don't have a clue ' all I know is I did not stash them there ' 

On 28 December 2015 at 1:14 PM, carlosj said:

Wherever you park, some people have suggested splitting the load, so that you can take your tent first and pitch in your desired spot without having to carry everything else at the same time.  That means that you have to come back to your car for the rest of your stuff, but at least you don't start the festival knackered by carrying 2 tons of kit in 1 go.

I take everything in then put my bag in the nearest lock up to the gate and find a camping spot. When the tent is pitched I go back for my bags. 

• 2 months later...

Got a question about Car park tickets, it was about 5 years ago when I last went by car so can't quite remember. Do you give a licence or anything when you buy it? Saw the info on the site says "car park passes are non-transferable", but no further info...

Might have a different car closer to the festival so need to know. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Boss84 said:

Got a question about Car park tickets, it was about 5 years ago when I last went by car so can't quite remember. Do you give a licence or anything when you buy it? Saw the info on the site says "car park passes are non-transferable", but no further info...

Might have a different car closer to the festival so need to know. Thanks in advance.

Definatly no need for licence numbers , so parking passes can be swapped between cars with no problems , just dont put it on untill the you have made a decision which car is going !! they are a nightmare to remove !!

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Definatly no need for licence numbers , so parking passes can be swapped between cars with no problems , just dont put it on untill the you have made a decision which car is going !! they are a nightmare to remove !!

Yes I remember them being a pain to remove. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Ruth1980 said:

Also don't put it in the windscreen until you get near the site. If you stop somewhere on the way down you don't really want to advertise to any dodgy sorts that you're leaving a car full of festival gear! 

Good point.

40 minutes ago, admscott said:

Can you still buy parking passes nearer the time? Could do with saving the £35 right now. 

You can but you'll get hit with another postage charge if you wait until after the tickets have been sent out.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Glasto_First said:

Do the car park tickets determine where you park, are they colour coded  or numbered .... or do you just get directed once you get there?

No they are all the same, you'll just get ushered in the ones where there is space.