Neil Young

glasshousebill

On 2/20/2016 at 11:48 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm not very familiar with the rest of his 90's stuff, mirror ball aside, so am not sure what to expect going forward. 

Sleeps with Angles is fantastic and Broken Arrow has some really good stuff on it. I think I might start a Neil Young marathon as well. I have never listened to some of the 80's albums all the way through.

35 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Finished sleep with angels for first time today and you're right. Will definitely be buying that. 

I wouldn't recommend doing what I've done that. In the case of those albums you've missed, ignorance is probably bliss. Reactor and landing on water were very very very hard work. 

I have Reactor on vinyl and must admit I do like it, Opera Star and Surfer Joe are really good.

On 21 February 2016 at 0:52 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

There are only so many Neil Young British tours left.

Which is why it's such a crying shame that with NY fully ensconced in a Euro tour at exactly the right time of year Glasto appear to have booked Moos instead. This coming together might never happen again whilst those three blokes from Devon are always only in the next bleeding county. 

Edited by Mandroman

Do you lot ever think he'll do a UK equivalent of the Carnegie Hall shows he did last year (? maybe the year before). 

Would be bloody fantastic, unfortunately didn't have the ££££ with it being an arena show this time around, but seeing Neil Young in a small-ish venue (even RAH-esque) would be incredible. 

45 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Do you lot ever think he'll do a UK equivalent of the Carnegie Hall shows he did last year (? maybe the year before). 

Would be bloody fantastic, unfortunately didn't have the ££££ with it being an arena show this time around, but seeing Neil Young in a small-ish venue (even RAH-esque) would be incredible. 

Saw him last year in a venue that was probably 3-4000 capacity. Brilliant. Likely one of the best gigs I've been to. Would be great if he'd tour smaller U.K. venues. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2016 at 5:52 AM, glasto-worker said:

at first I was thinking about 1997 - the year he pulled out though a cut finger.

but you mean 2009 - this was the setlist.

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Mansion On The Hill
Are You Ready For The Country?
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Spirit Road
Words
Cinnamon Girl
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Comes A Time
Unknown Legend
Heart Of Gold
Down By The River
Get Behind The Wheel
Rockin' In The Free World
A Day In The Life

I have been lucky as I have worked at many concerts where he was playing including Hop farm in 2008 and I made certain there would be no clash with shifts .

this was the setlist at Hop farm 2008

Love And Only Love
Hey Hey, My My
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere 
I've Been Waiting For You
Spirit Road
Fuckin' Up
Oh, Lonesome Me
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Unknown Legend
Heart Of Gold
Old Man
Get Back To The Country
Words
No Hidden Path
A Day In The Life

and the Phoenix Festival in 1996

this was the setlist.

Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Down by the River
Powderfinger
Big Time
Slip Away
The Needle and the Damage Done
Sugar Mountain
Heart of Gold
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin' Up
Cortez the Killer
Music Arcade
Like a Hurricane
Sedan Delivery
Danger Bird
Rockin' in the Free World

a video clip from that year https://youtu.be/aOVbt_zNQvg

I know that many were not keen on the Phoenix Festival but working at it was just pure magic but of course we used to arrive a day before the public so we missed all the bad traffic jams.

on checking the dates came across this cracking shot { which I have not seen before } of the Pyramid area in 1997 { as many will know the stage burnt down in 1994 } - the actual guest bar is the large white tent with blue strips and I used to work in there - from memory the larger tent was some type of press office.

it would be great if I could see him again but not sure where that will be.

9795-view-0.jpg

I adored Phoenix - all three I attended were brilliant. It was my first introduction to Neil Young (I knew Heart of Gold from a video recording of Sounds of the Seventies on BBC2 and Rockin' in the Fireworks because of Pearl Jam) and was a bit overwhelmed by the noise he made, as I recall, but loved every minute.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, glasshousebill said:

bumped... he could still play Glastonbury .. there's room in his Euro tour schedule. Many big acts still to be announced? 

he headlined in 2009 and is just as big as he was then. the only slot he could ever feasibly take that wasn't headliner would be the Sunday Legend, which is also booked up this year. he ain't gonna play, and i kind of doubt he ever will again

Sounded great around then.

New album sounds interesting too!

EARTH
We made a live record and every creature on the planet seemed to show up.
Suddenly all the living things of Earth were in the audience going crazy. 
Then they took over the stage, letting their wild sounds mingle with the Vanilla Singers perfect corporate harmony. 
Earth's creatures let loose, there were Bee breakdowns, Bird breakdowns and yes, even Wall Street breakdowns, jamming with me and Promise of the Real!
The show was non stop bliss for 98 minutes, no breaks.
EARTH does not fit on iTunes. 
It breaks all their rules 
(and couldn’t all really be heard that way anyway)
No one who was there will ever forget the love, wonder and beautiful madness of EARTH.
I know I won’t.
Neil

Edited by The Nal

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've faltered recently for various reasons. Need to get back on it as I ploughed through the hard stuff and finished the 90s renaissance. Just got into the 2000s. Last one was are you passionate. Dunno if I was expecting too much but was a bit disappointed with that considering the personnel. Lots of good stuff preceding it that I hadn't heard before though. Especially broken arrow and silver and gold.

I need to crack on - only five weeks till I see him and a decade and half to get through. 

Yeah I'm seeing him on June 8th. 41 albums in 33 days. No joke.