Shambala 2016

5co77ie

On 29/06/2016 at 0:47 PM, tigger123 said:

First year going to Shambala this year and very excited for it. Does anyone know what time the music tends to finish each night?

You are in for a treat. A big treat. Shambala is a fantastic festival. Unfortunately I can't advise when the music tends to finish as I have no recollection. I know that there are one or two late night venues which go on until the very wee hours.

Don't forget to pack the fancy dress for the parade on Saturday. I'm really not a fancy dress person but at Shambala I am - as is everyone else, so you'll regret it if you don't make the effort.

The festival has the best vibe to it.

I'm excited about it too. :)

12 hours ago, OBface said:

What are people's thoughts on the dress up? Is fruity Friday still a thing? 

Fruity Friday is still a thing. I think the dress up is a bit of fun. I've never gone in fancy dress to connect with that years fancy dress theme though. I just wear something that I'd not be seen normally wearing in public (apart from the one morning at a party in Lewisham where the lack of fags drove me to walk to the local shop buy some whilst wearing a sequinned suit).

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fruity Friday is still a thing. I think the dress up is a bit of fun. I've never gone in fancy dress to connect with that years fancy dress theme though. I just wear something that I'd not be seen normally wearing in public (apart from the one morning at a party in Lewisham where the lack of fags drove me to walk to the local shop buy some whilst wearing a sequinned suit).

I'm looking forward to it! Handily my friend turned 30 at Glastonbury and wanted us to dress as mythical creatures for the Saturday night so can recycle from there. Just need to get the rest of my team on board. 

1 hour ago, OBface said:

I'm looking forward to it! Handily my friend turned 30 at Glastonbury and wanted us to dress as mythical creatures for the Saturday night so can recycle from there. Just need to get the rest of my team on board. 

Having had to miss out on Glastonbury this year I am really looking forward to it too. That's very handy that you have a cache of fancy dress to draw off. Good luck with getting your team on board - I think they'll regret it if they don't dress up in something outlandish.

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Having had to miss out on Glastonbury this year I am really looking forward to it too. That's very handy that you have a cache of fancy dress to draw off. Good luck with getting your team on board - I think they'll regret it if they don't dress up in something outlandish.

As amazing time as I had perhaps wasn't the worst year to miss! 

The owner of Fairylove (great costume shop that does the rounds at festivals if you havent come across it) echoed what you say about Shambala. In fact said its the only place she ever feels under dressed. Need to up my game. 

11 hours ago, OBface said:

As amazing time as I had perhaps wasn't the worst year to miss! 

The owner of Fairylove (great costume shop that does the rounds at festivals if you havent come across it) echoed what you say about Shambala. In fact said its the only place she ever feels under dressed. Need to up my game. 

I haven't heard of Fairylove. I did go to a card shop at Shambala and all the staff were either on mushrooms or acid at a guess. They were well stoned anyway. We went to the counter to pay for something and the bloke on the counter said 'we don't want your money, just take it'. I fear that they didn't make much money that day. Kind of sums up Shambala though when the stall holders even get in on the act.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Never been before but working it as a steward this year. Where is it, what's it like and how would you sum it up? Anything to aim for to do there - as in things / venues not to miss? Cheers.

if you're having a campsite party, it's great. For the entertainment laid-on not necessarily so much, tho it depends what your bag is.

It's certainly not a bad festival, but from the way it's often talked about I find that a bit too-much Emperors new clothes..

I absolutely love Shambala but don't go for the music (not that I go to any festival for the music). It's a great place to wander around and chill out with friends. It takes place on a country estate near Market Harborough (Kelmarsh Hall). I would recommend crossing over in to the woods to see what's going on there - it really is a pleasant place to chill with dj's playing from the tree tops. It's also a very successfully green festival (very little litter is left on the Monday). Oh, and it's worth making an effort on the fancy dress front, even if fancy dress isn't your bag.

PS - One other thing to look out for is the Police Rave Unit. You'll know it when you see it.

Not long to go now, and yes, it certainly will beat sitting behind a desk. :)

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I absolutely love Shambala but don't go for the music (not that I go to any festival for the music). It's a great place to wander around and chill out with friends. It takes place on a country estate near Market Harborough (Kelmarsh Hall). I would recommend crossing over in to the woods to see what's going on there - it really is a pleasant place to chill with dj's playing from the tree tops. It's also a very successfully green festival (very little litter is left on the Monday). Oh, and it's worth making an effort on the fancy dress front, even if fancy dress isn't your bag.

PS - One other thing to look out for is the Police Rave Unit. You'll know it when you see it.

Not long to go now, and yes, it certainly will beat sitting behind a desk. :)

Have fun Yog. Almost got tickets this year but got the leave late and when I went to buy the tickets they'd sold out! :-( oh well

Next year. 

Went to Standon Calling last weekend instead. Awesome little festival. Defo recommend it. 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I absolutely love Shambala but don't go for the music (not that I go to any festival for the music). It's a great place to wander around and chill out with friends. 

ps. Know what u mean about not going for the music. For me it's about the potter, the beautiful sight (especially illuminated) but mostly being with friends and total chilling. Music is a happy bonus. 

Edited by semmtexx
Making it easier to follow...

9 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Have fun Yog. Almost got tickets this year but got the leave late and when I went to buy the tickets they'd sold out! :-( oh well

Next year. 

Went to Standon Calling last weekend instead. Awesome little festival. Defo recommend it. 

Cheers semmtexx - I'll give it my best shot. As well as the usual motley crew one of my older brothers is coming to Shambala this year. He has never been to a festival before and I just know he is going to like it.

Yeah, I've looked at Standon Calling myself before but have yet to go there. I think my new one for next year is looking like Equinox though.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Cheers semmtexx - I'll give it my best shot. As well as the usual motley crew one of my older brothers is coming to Shambala this year. He has never been to a festival before and I just know he is going to like it.

Yeah, I've looked at Standon Calling myself before but have yet to go there. I think my new one for next year is looking like Equinox though.

It's always fun taking newbies! One of my favourite bits is when people see the sites lit up at night - almost always makes people's jaws drop! 

I'll take a peek at Equinox...

6 hours ago, MoonBuggy said:

Any thoughts on the best way to sell/refund a Shambala ticket (face value, of course)? Large group of us are going, but someone's had to drop out and I'm a little confused about how the ticket barcode system works. 

I'd love to be able to help but lack true knowledge of how to work this scenario.

15 hours ago, MoonBuggy said:

Any thoughts on the best way to sell/refund a Shambala ticket (face value, of course)? Large group of us are going, but someone's had to drop out and I'm a little confused about how the ticket barcode system works. 

if it's the same as last year you can simply give (sell) the ticket to someone, and they can enter with it. There's no cross-checking with matching a name to the ticket in order to enter.

However.....

It's only as good as the ticket system, and the ticket I bought off a friend last year had supposedly already been scanned when we arrived (it hadn't) and they didn't wish to issue a wristband against that ticket (tho they did with little argument) .

I'm not sure what might have gone on there. The 'bad' presumptions are that either the ticket system itself is somehow compromised, or that someone-staff has been abusing it to supply their mates with tickets ....  tho it might have been something as minor as a problem with the ticket scanner, I suppose, or even a cock-up by the mate who I bought the ticket from, who might have in-error used the ticket he'd sold instead of the one he'd kept for himself.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if it's the same as last year you can simply give (sell) the ticket to someone, and they can enter with it. There's no cross-checking with matching a name to the ticket in order to enter.

Actually last year they introduced a rule that the name on the ticket must be correct and ID will be checked (though I'm not sure they actually did ID people). If you sell your ticket you should edit the ticket details with the new name on the ticketsellers site.

See the terms and conditions bit here: http://www.shambalafestival.org/essential-info/ticket-information/terms-and-conditions/

I don't know if it's common knowledge , or a bit premature to talk about 2017 before we have even had 2016, but talking to a friend who lives in North Dorset at the weekend there has apparently been a licence application put in to hold the festival there next year. Same sort of location as End of the Road / Lamer Tree (but not there) and application for 24,999 people on site.

7 hours ago, tjamest said:

I don't know if it's common knowledge , or a bit premature to talk about 2017 before we have even had 2016, but talking to a friend who lives in North Dorset at the weekend there has apparently been a licence application put in to hold the festival there next year. Same sort of location as End of the Road / Lamer Tree (but not there) and application for 24,999 people on site.

Thanks for the information, which I hadn't heard of before. I think the festival first started in that neck of the woods before moving up north to it's current location. It would certainly be a game changer for me and would probably push me more towards going to the Equinox Festival in September instead.