Virus alert

maelzoid

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I just picked up a virus warning while surfing these boards.

I was alerted to this virus / spyware :

CXweb/ExpJS-BS

Just thought I'd warn you all.

Thanks. Can you please tell me:-

1. what device you're using

2. if a phone/tablet, whether that's using wifi or the phone network

3. which browser you're using.

And only those who read the Glastonbury section are deemed worthy enough to be warned about this? I know there's a superiority complex here and those who enjoy other festivals aren't fit to lick the mud from a Glastonbury-goers boot but this just about takes the biscuit, deliberately and wantonly withholding this information from those who enjoy other festivals while secretly hoping that misfortune befalls them as some form of punishment. 

Shame on you.

3 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

And only those who read the Glastonbury section are deemed worthy enough to be warned about this? I know there's a superiority complex here and those who enjoy other festivals aren't fit to lick the mud from a Glastonbury-goers boot but this just about takes the biscuit, deliberately and wantonly withholding this information from those who enjoy other festivals while secretly hoping that misfortune befalls them as some form of punishment. 

Shame on you.

Relax! The virus is a Glastonbury exclusive.

the chances are it's not actually a virus, but is instead an advert carrying a pop-up advert payload.

About an hour before this post, some ads to iPhones were turned back on (all but house-ads have been off to iPhones for a while, because of the Game of War pop-up ad issue), so I suspect it's related.

On seeing his post I immediately requested that iphone ads were turned off again, so hopefully that's it addressed.

4 hours ago, mrtourette said:

Shame on you.

Foiled again!

35 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

Il bet it's a windows Trojan on the PC and nothing to do with the site.

Download & Run malwarebytes free scan on the machine & it will find and remove it & any other spyware crap too ;)

https://www.malwarebytes.org

You may well be right. We have solid virus checkers at work which took care of it, and that's how I knew about it. I thought I'd mention it, in case my favourite forum was affected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 December 2015 at 7:35 PM, donthaveacoolname said:

This morning I experienced the multi pop up ad thing again "win an iPhone" and some very sexually explicit ads. I had something simular a few weeks back on an iphone but this time I was on android using mobile  network and crome browser 

I had the same on my android last week; sexually explicit pop up, asking to choose between brunette or blonde I seem to remember. Anyway, only way to get rid was to clear all pages and history and eventually it was ok; I also deleted the efestivals android app.

I now just google and select the link; not had same problem since.

As a footnote, glad it's not just me :)

Can you please let me know:-

1. what *exactly* is happening, rather than "something happened". If I don't know exactly what's happening, I can't look at why. If "a trojan alert", what software is giving you that alert?

2. your operating system.

3. your device type (desktop/tablet/phone)

4. your webbrowser.

Thanks.

Edited by eFestivals

14 hours ago, oneeye said:

I had the same on my android last week; sexually explicit pop up, asking to choose between brunette or blonde I seem to remember. Anyway, only way to get rid was to clear all pages and history and eventually it was ok; I also deleted the efestivals android app.

I now just google and select the link; not had same problem since.

As a footnote, glad it's not just me :)

Did you choose Brunette or Blonde? 

I had desktop, win 10, chrome and clicked to go into this thread http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/171495-word-association-game/?page=111#comment-4873310 by using the link below the arrow below & got the sex pop ups, they weren't overly bad, just sexy pics.  I can't replicate, think I hovered over an ad but it won't do it again. AVG reported 3 trojans in my local folder linked to chrome about an hour later.  

Untitled_zpseioimgmw.jpg