Super Bock Super Rock 2016, Portugal

Riot Paula

I couldn't find a thread for this festival but they've just announced The National and Kurt Vile.

Me and my husband are planning to go to Benicassim but if the line up isn't great we are considering doing this one instead. Anyone know anything about it? Are there hotels close to the festival? We got a hotel in Beni last year that was about 15-20 minute walk from the festival and would like to do something similar here (been there done that with camping at Beni plenty of times and can't be bothered with it anymore haha).

Any info would be great as I can't find much discussion about it anywhere.

The festival is very good and extremely cheap ticket-wise. It's also set in a nice location - in a woods amongst the trees. It's not massive and only has three stages (main, second and dance tent). Logistically it is tricky. I stayed in a great/cheap apartment in Sesimbra and got the bus in. You still had to walk for a long time to get there (45mins?), though walking there and meeting loads of other festival-goers en routs was actually really fun.

I've done three foreign fests (all in Portugal) and this was my favourite one (Optimus and Primavera were the others). I'd def go again.

Edited by Homer

Thanks Homer. Are the timings similar to other european festivals I've been to with music starting at about 6pm and ending about 8am with headliners on about 2am? Are the buses all night? I'm worried it'll be a situation where if you want to get a bus you'll either have to leave before the headliners come on, or be stuck there until the bitter end!

Yes, the times are like other Euro festivals. I didn't even get onsite until about 8pd odd. Headliners were after midnight and the dance tent went on until about 6am.

The bus situation is fine. Basically, there are shuttle buses running to the nearest town, then you jump in a cab from there. They're pretty cheap.

Is it not close enough to stay in central Lisbon? I was under the impression that it was?

edit: it's located in the Parque das Nações area 15 mins from the centre of Lisbon so I think Homer maybe talking about the festival's previous location...

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

You're right Frankly! Last year SuperBock Super Rock happened in Parque das Nacoes nearest to Oriente Station, so the site is in Lisbon, instead the previous editions were in Sesimbra, about 30/40 miles from Lisbon.

the capacity of attendance decreasing to 18 / 20 thousand people, because the Main Stage is on MEO Arena (indoor), before the attendance was 30/35 thousand.

With a new location you don't worry about logistical questions cause you have a central station of train, underground, bus or taxis!

sorry for my english...I hope that you understand in general what I'm saying! ;)

forget this festival , this is not a summer festival. I had the opportunity to go to edition 2014 (Massive attack,metronomy,tame impala,foals,etc) that was great!, the zone as meco in the area with one of the best beaches of Portugal , a protected area . Now it is simply in the center of Lisbon, in an arena . I am Portuguese, and I must go, but only because I love Jamie xx

Edited by sabrosa22

• 3 months later...

I've got a group of friends really keen to go to this festival, the lineup looks great and the tickets look cheap for a long weekend. However, the website is terrible and it's hard to find any information about it at all. Can anyone give me like an overview of the whole thing? Like general layout, weather, stage location, recommendations, prices. 

Any help at all would be really appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, BGW said:

I've got a group of friends really keen to go to this festival, the lineup looks great and the tickets look cheap for a long weekend. However, the website is terrible and it's hard to find any information about it at all. Can anyone give me like an overview of the whole thing? Like general layout, weather, stage location, recommendations, prices. 

Any help at all would be really appreciated :) 

Hi there. SBSR is a very urban festival nowadays. It used to be near the beach, in the woods, but right now it is near the river in a very urban area called "Parque das Nações". It's structure is very simple, you have 3 stages: 1 outdoor under a "structure" (look it up "Pavilhão de Portugal"). The biggest stage is indoors, in an arena called "MEO Arena" (which is not a very good venue accoustically, but it is the biggest concert room in Portugal, holds about 20.000 people). It doesn't have a very "festive" enviroment inside the festival, not sure how it is in the Camping they provide, but I hear the camping site is really good. If you like the line-up and want to visit Lisbon / Portugal, you might really enjoy it. If you want a proper festival environment, it might no be the best, even the "main stage" is indoors... Any other question just ask.

• 3 months later...