2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/10/2016 at 3:18 PM, Simpo said:

Here's the title track from Boxed In's new album, which came out last week. Danceable and joyful

Saw them play at Glastonbury one and a half times this year.

I decided I'd been in front of the pyramid far too much this year, so eschewed Beck in favour of seeing Boxed In in my new favourite place the Crows Nest. It was wonderful, a couple of handfuls of people dancing with the gusto and joy that people have at Glastonbury. I was so so happy. I chatted with them after, lovely people. Then knowing it was all over soon, I just sat on one of the chairs there, just looking out over the festival, with a few tears in my eyes. 

But yeah, Boxed In are super.

I like that mate. Right up my street.

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

I know this won't be out until this thread title is out of date but the Gorrillaz hypemobile is gaining momentum: 

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/gorillaz-kick-off-phase-four-with-the-book-of-noodle/

Looking forward to seeing what direction they take this one in.

I suspect a single will be out before the end of the year.  

I was pretty annoyed nothing immediately followed the hype build up from last week when they went through all the phases on social media then just stopped.  Personally, I have very, very little interest in Jamie's artwork - what I want is new music.

Listened that Banks album this week, not that impressed really. Just sounds like a blend of loads of stuff Pitchfork loves; little bit of Kanye, little bit of Grimes, some Sia and quite a lot of FKA Twigs. All that aping on the production a d arrangements might  be OK if the tunes were decent, but they're all pretty boring.

39 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Listened that Banks album this week, not that impressed really. Just sounds like a blend of loads of stuff Pitchfork loves; little bit of Kanye, little bit of Grimes, some Sia and quite a lot of FKA Twigs. All that aping on the production a d arrangements might  be OK if the tunes were decent, but they're all pretty boring.

I listened to it at the weekend. I thought it was OK but not something I'll be revisiting I expect. So much good music out at the moment that an album has to be an 8/10 on first play otherwise it will be cast aside! 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

So just for comedy value.....anyone heard the new Robbie Williams track?

Had it on the new music playlist from Deezer in the car this morning; nearly crashed I was laughing so much. It's not a strong effort :lol:

It was one of the features tracks on Sunday Brunch at the weekend. Reacting similarly I was close to ejecting coffee through my nose.

4 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

It was one of the features tracks on Sunday Brunch at the weekend. Reacting similarly I was close to ejecting coffee through my nose.

One of my colleagues is Russian.  I mentioned it to him this morning and his reaction was pretty much unrepeatable, even for eFests.

I think it can be summed up just from the chorus:

Party like a Russian
End of discussion
Dance like it got concussion, oh
Put a doll inside a doll
Party like a Russian
Disco seduction
Party like a Russian, oh
Have it like an oligarch

Poetry I tells ya.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Rudebox is a misunderstood work of art

My thoughts exactly. its so bad its phenomenal.

"OK then, back to bass-heads
Dance like you just won at the Special Olympics
They got the rudebox off the back of a spaceship
So sick I just had to take it
The R-U-D-E-B-O-X
Up your jacksy, split your kecks,
Sing a song of semtex
Pocket full of Durex
Body full of Mandrax
Are we gonna have sex (yes)
Do you wear your knee socks (ohh)
Back to the rudebox "

My personal favourite is rhyming durex with sex (yes).

Edited by mjsell

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

My thoughts exactly. its so bad its phenomenal.

"OK then, back to bass-heads
Dance like you just won at the Special Olympics
They got the rudebox off the back of a spaceship
So sick I just had to take it
The R-U-D-E-B-O-X
Up your jacksy, split your kecks,
Sing a song of semtex
Pocket full of Durex
Body full of Mandrax
Are we gonna have sex (yes)
Do you wear your knee socks (ohh)
Back to the rudebox "

My personal favourite is rhyming durex with sex (yes).

Missed out "You don't sweat much for a fat lass".

54 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I'm not sure the Robbie Williams song is really any worse than Millennium or Rock DJ to be fair, apparently he's back writing with Guy Chambers again so his new album could be his most successful for a while. 

It's so much worse than both of them.  His stuff around then at least had a bit to it, even if it wasn't Mercury winning material.  Millenium had a good melody line, and while Rock DJ was lyrically a bit rubbish it had a decent bit of swagger to it.

This new one is just a mess.

EDIT: In my opinion ;)

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, Quark said:

It's so much worse than both of them.  His stuff around then at least had a bit to it, even if it wasn't Mercury winning material.  Millenium had a good melody line, and while Rock DJ was lyrically a bit rubbish it had a decent bit of swagger to it.

This new one is just a mess.

EDIT: In my opinion ;)

To me both this and Millenium just sound like him singing nonsense over a well known sample,

All the Russians i've spoken to this week, none of them gave a fuck about it. Nobody is offended. There's a guardian article today trying to stir up a bit of controversy, but essentially it's a big bag of nuffin. It's a fairly dull witless song and banal video, devoid of any imagination, but nobody's going to start getting upset with RW about that now, are they? About 20 years too late for that.