2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Both fantastic. Angel Olsens especially had me in a trance all day yesterday. Top 5 AOTY so far for sure

Her last one was pretty alright while not being special, but the singles off this one are in a different league, so I'm expecting a big step up.

Yeah it is an incredible surprise of a record. Put off listening to it for a while because the last one was fairly good but nothing that made me look forward to the next one or anything but she's completely changed up her game and brought some huge tunes with this one - listened to it more in the past two weeks than I think I ever did Burn Your Fire for No Witness.

Back to Isaiah Rashad for a sec; I was kinda disappointed initially because same as so many others I'd been looking forward to what was next from this guy after hearing Cilvia and on first impressions TST felt over-long and unambitious. Now I've listened to it a couple more times and focused on it song-for-song rather than the big picture, I think it's great. He's still extremely talented and the production is kinda low-key and so are the features (obligatory Kendrick spot on TDE record aside) but that gives him more room to shine technically. I think the problem was - with so many Kendrick comparisons - expecting a statement like GKMC forgetting that Section.80 came first; so if this is Isaiah's Section.80 then the big things are yet to come.

On 2 September 2016 at 1:45 PM, not worthy said:

The new Wedding Present album arrived this morning

on first listen.....The boy Gedge done good, very good

I have it on good authority* that John Peel will turn up to add mandolin and waily ghost noises to every set in the JP tent next year if this lot don't finally appear on the bill.

* Doris Stokes told me in the home baking aisle in Sainsbury's the other night. 

On 05/09/2016 at 8:19 AM, Mandroman said:

I have it on good authority* that John Peel will turn up to add mandolin and waily ghost noises to every set in the JP tent next year if this lot don't finally appear on the bill.

* Doris Stokes told me in the home baking aisle in Sainsbury's the other night. 

I've now listened to the new Wedding Present album 4 times. I have to upgrade my initial rating of 'good' to 'bloody excellent'.

The best they've ever done and my favourite this year so far.

Give them a headline slot in the JP Tent, they deserve it, and John would approve wholeheartedly