2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Fans of the Gregorian Calendar, rejoice! Hot on the heels of the highly popular year "2015", which was well received by fans and critics alike, there will be a direct follow-up year, which is expected to be titled "2016". News is beginning to emerge of the various recording artists who will be providing the soundtrack, discuss them here!

The obvious is David Bowie, releasing Blackstar in January.

Then the amazing Polica have a new album in April.

The most exciting prospect is that Owen Pallett is resurrecting the world and characters of 2010's Heartland for a sequel album of sorts. He calls this song "Lewis Gets Fucked Into Space"

Talk about 2016 releases here. Mention Glastonbury so Neil doesn't relegate us to the post-apocalyptic wastelands of the Discussions board, like he did with Bamber's Jessie J thread.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm really looking forward to Daughter's new album which comes out in January. Their debut is one of my favourite albums of this decade so far and both singles and the two new ones they played on their tour last month sound great

I hope they play at Glastonbury 2016.

1 hour ago, TomViolence said:

Currently have DIIV, Daughter and Savages on pre-order and I'm excited for Polica, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, AnCo, Guy Garvey, Bon Iver and Last Shadow Puppets to release something. 

Desperately hoping Grizzly Bear, Local Natives and Cate Le Bon resurface next year too.

Guy Garvey's album came out a month ago. Glad to hear you're excited for it though. :P

There are about fifty albums I'm already looking forward to so not really worth listing, but it already seems like it's gonna be a very good year.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Guy Garvey's album came out a month ago. Glad to hear you're excited for it though. :P

There are about fifty albums I'm already looking forward to so not really worth listing, but it already seems like it's gonna be a very good year.

May we have the top 10?

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Fuck. I'd forgotten all about Santigold. Yes please.

Oh I was going to mention her! She played some new stuff at Latitude this year (and had her dancers hand out doughnuts to the crowd for sticking around during two new songs), it sounded great, been waiting for it ever since. Her debut pretty much lives in my car so I still listen to her quite often even though she was quiet for a while.

Also, we have the promise of a new LOS CAMPESINOS! album next year. The future is bright indeed.

So Help Me God/Swish next year?

Just now, FloorFiller said:

there's a shit ton of albums that i'm excited about already, but considering this was announced today, it's what currently has me mega excited. been a long time coming. i'd pretty much given up hope of there ever being a third Glassjaw album

Between them, Brand New and Thrice, it's a pretty busy year already

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Oh I was going to mention her! She played some new stuff at Latitude this year (and had her dancers hand out doughnuts to the crowd for sticking around during two new songs), it sounded great, been waiting for it ever since. Her debut pretty much lives in my car so I still listen to her quite often even though she was quiet for a while.

Also, we have the promise of a new LOS CAMPESINOS! album next year. The future is bright indeed.

So Help Me God/Swish next year?

See - for me - Santigold is what pop should be like nowadays. Not that 'style' of music blah blah blah, but brilliantly different and new and chart bothering with attitude...whilst confusing and confounding those peddling pop-pap.

Much prefer / am glad my kids love her rather than OneFuckingLittleMixDirectionFactorMurs.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

May we have the top 10?

Sure. Radiohead (believe), Bowie, Kanye, Spiritualized, Death Grips, Savages, Chromatics, Animal Collective, Pixies and just for you... Grandaddy!

But still that's leaving so many out including some more of my favourite acts and follow ups to great debuts and promising new artists releasing debuts and the new Stone Roses album/EP and a whole load of other shit. Man I'm excited already.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Sure. Radiohead (believe), Bowie, Kanye, Spiritualized, Death Grips, Savages, Chromatics, Animal Collective, Pixies and just for you... Grandaddy!

But still that's leaving so many out including some more of my favourite acts and follow ups to great debuts and promising new artists releasing debuts and the new Stone Roses album/EP and a whole load of other shit. Man I'm excited already.

Spiritualized???????!!!!!!!!!!

Runs off to Google...

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

See - for me - Santigold is what pop should be like nowadays. Not that 'style' of music blah blah blah, but brilliantly different and new and chart bothering with attitude...whilst confusing and confounding those peddling pop-pap.

Much prefer / am glad my kids love her rather than OneFuckingLittleMixDirectionFactorMurs.

I remember being well into loads of chart/pop stuff around about the time when that came out, there was her, La Roux, Little Boots, New Young Pony Club and Lykke Li all breaking out at once. Kanye and TVotR going pop with immense style. Then into the indie/NME stakes there was the mighty Los Campesinos! taking off like a rocket with TWO fucking insane records in one year, Foals; magnificent first album, The Kills making insane grooves. On the trendier side of things there was LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip and M83 all putting incredible dance/indie/pop records into the world. Portishead reformed and introduced me to their incredible back catalogue. And I'm pretty sure all of this happened within the 18 month span when I was in 6th form. It was a fucking time to be alive.

Rose-tinted specs are a marvelous/malicious thing, this thread is all about looking forwards!

Looking forward to new stuff from St Paul and the Broken Bones.  Bit concerned from some recent comments that they may go too new style R n B but hopeful for some more Muscle Shoals stylee awesomeness.

Oh yeah, really hoping for a Glastonbury appearance too after the disappointment of this year. TBC FFS!!

Edited by Gnomicide