2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

NME is for kids tho and its 'best of' lists are skewed towards their demographic. Just like those three will place highly on Mojo's list and The 1975 and Drake and stuff won't get a look in.

You are of course spot on with Mojo 50 best of 2016:

1. Blackstar

3. Skeleton Tree

16. 22, A Million

Nowhere: The 1975, Drake

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

You are of course spot on with Mojo 50 best of 2016:

1. Blackstar

3. Skeleton Tree

16. 22, A Million

Nowhere: The 1975, Drake

Is the full list online anywhere yet? Had a look at their website but it's not up yet.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Is the full list online anywhere yet? Had a look at their website but it's not up yet.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/578-mojos-top-50-albums-of-2016/

I've got 6 of their top 10 which clearly has me down as a typical Mojo reader!

Edited by Avalon_Fields

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Gambino album next weekend and El-P and Killer Mike trying to get RTJ3 out this year. Post AOTY lists at yr peril.

Only reason to post an AotY list before NYE is if you're selling either albums or publications; if that doesn't apply to you, then you're a buffoon. You wouldn't start listing your favourite tracks on an album before you'd even listened to the last one now would you?

15 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Kurt Wagner has one of the greatest natural voices in all of music.

Also has some of the greatest teleportation powers in all of the X-Men.

new Laura Marling album Semper Femina out March 10. first single here:

http://www.thefader.com/2016/11/28/laura-marling-soothing-semper-femina

don't think i ever got round to listening to her last album (although not sure why as i loved When I Was an Eagle) but liking the sound of this. long overdue an appearance at Glastonbury. not sure if she'd be too big but Park headliner would be great (although i'd almost certainly end up missing her...)

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Another AOTY list, this time from a cracking record shop in Bristol called Rise. If you're ever nearby get yourself in there.

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse.php?campaign=AOTY

The list itself looks pretty good to me, although Bon Iver does find himself in the top 10...

As he should ;)

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this album. A debut album Dolls of Highland from an American artist called Kyle Craft, hope it is his real name, rubbish stage name if not.

AOTY has a critic score of 76, but one of the 6 critics gave it 40, user review is 79.  I think it might be a bit Marmite and some people will not like it.

It has a mixture of styles Country, Southern Rock, but a big slice of Glam Rock. He still seems to be doing support act and small venues in the states, but I think it is quite an impressive debut.

Not sure if I have embedded this properly

Edited by GMF

9 hours ago, big__phil said:

Another AOTY list, this time from a cracking record shop in Bristol called Rise. If you're ever nearby get yourself in there.

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse.php?campaign=AOTY

The list itself looks pretty good to me, although Bon Iver does find himself in the top 10...

Aha, a lovely place. I popped in there last year when I was down in "Brizzle" (as I understand nobody actually calls it) for Joanna Newsom. Picked up Seems Unfair by Trust Fund and Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens, neither of which I could find anywhere round here. List is V good, lots I agree with there, although my eyes must be going because I can't find Beyonce on there.

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

Finding myself enjoying Starboy a lot more than I thought I would.  The second half of this year has definitely seen my musical tastes expanding somewhat.

i got half way through the album on my walk to work and found a lot of it instantly forgettable. gonna give it a few more tries but it doesn't sound like anything special and was all a far cry from the mixtapes

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i got half way through the album on my walk to work and found a lot of it instantly forgettable. gonna give it a few more tries but it doesn't sound like anything special and was all a far cry from the mixtapes

Yeah, whether it stands up to repeated listening is another matter altogether!  But a year ago I wouldn't even have bothered listening to it as it's "not my kind of thing". 

I think of albums like relationships in my younger days.  Some are one nighters, some are semi-regular booty calls, and some are long term!

And then there are those you can't believe you even listened to once and pretend you never did :lol:

Schoolboy Q just posted on facebook saying '' kendrick releasing a new album next year jan 26 ''

I know its not going to be a 2016 release and there's no official announcement as of yet but definitely one to keep an eye on.

Edit: Seems like he's possibly been hacked, apologies if so haha

Edited by rhg_99