2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm yeah same. I'm already sorta hoping my headliners are gonna be Radiohead - Kraftwerk - Foos. Obviously plenty of time for that to change but with the likes of Flaming Lips/Primal Scream/Warpaint all likely to be in contention for various headline spots things are definitely going to get messy again. 

On 11/11/2016 at 9:16 PM, FloorFiller said:

A Tribe Called Quest's new album is sounding fantastic on first few listens. remains to be seen if it'll go down as another classic but i'm loving it  first few times 'round

Also been listening to this over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thumbs up from me.

Really enjoying the new Tribe album too. Wonder what the likely hood of them playing is? Someone mentioned elshwere that they were done touring...

I Saw Q-tip headline west holts in 2009, incredible gig. I think his 3 solo albums are worth a listen after exploring a tribe called quest. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

new Gold Panda. not sure what the instrument is, but when it kicks in.. just lovely!

I've been scratching my head over why people aren't all falling over each other over worship of this album for the last few months, easily one of the best of the year.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've been scratching my head over why people aren't all falling over each other over worship of this album for the last few months, easily one of the best of the year.

I agree, it's fantastic and seems to have gone mostly under the radar.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I haven't got round to listening to it for some reason. The Kingdom ep was wicked though, a couple of my favourite GP tracks on there

Bit late to this party but I've just been through Powell's latest album having never heard of him before and think it's brilliant. Reminds me a lot of Suicide. 

Excited for all the top albums of 2016 albums I always seem to miss some gems through the year and clean up in December., rough trade just released there's hence how I found Powell.

19 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Bit late to this party but I've just been through Powell's latest album having never heard of him before and think it's brilliant. Reminds me a lot of Suicide. 

Excited for all the top albums of 2016 albums I always seem to miss some gems through the year and clean up in December., rough trade just released there's hence how I found Powell.

The song I just checked out is cool. Will pursue that.

Which reminds me, I stumbled across this song described as "Nick Cave meets Suicide" by the YouTube comments. The rest of the album isn't quite like this but it's still very 80's inspired (his character is a washed up 80's singer) and it's just as great.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The song I just checked out is cool. Will pursue that.

Which reminds me, I stumbled across this song described as "Nick Cave meets Suicide" by the YouTube comments. The rest of the album isn't quite like this but it's still very 80's inspired (his character is a washed up 80's singer) and it's just as great.

I like that, got the album on Spotify now.

I love days when you scoop up loads of new music, you can go through weeks of nothing new then completely change you're immediate go to albums in a few hours (on a particularly good day).

The best one is when you dismiss a band for a couple of albums then release one song you love that opens up there back catalogue in a new way and you can feast on it. Maybe that's just me... happened with The Garden recently (I wouldn't say they're good, but I do enjoy them now)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/16/pop-music-bespoke-plaything-wealth-divide

Was reading this and thought of this thread...

To be honest though, I do collect all of a number of specific bands releases and although I groan internally when I see another 'boxed set' appear of something I have 100 copies of already, nothing beats the experience of unboxing it.