2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, tevaburger said:

thoughts on the new record anyone?....not hitting me like 'Star Wars' did...but I'm sure it will sound good live, esp

I love it. For me, best thing they've done in an age. Reminds me of Yo La Tengo in places. First record of theirs in years and years that i want to put back on as soon as it's finished.

just finished through my first listen of the new Pixies album. imo it's considerably better than Indie Cindy. obviously it still a long way off the quality of their old stuff, but guess to enjoy new Pixies you kind of have to put their old stuff to the back of your mind. Baa's Back is the obvious highlight just for bringing some rawness to the whole thing - actually could've fitted nicely on one of the first four albums. All I Think About Now, intentional or not, sounds an awful lot like Where Is My Mind pt.2

2 hours ago, chimpola said:

Car Seat Headrest is possibly the worst name for a band (other than OASIS),  the new album is great though.

I almost had a panic attack thinking I'd missed a new NEW Car Seat Headrest album. This is a cracking album though, probably my favourite of the year.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

just finished through my first listen of the new Pixies album. imo it's considerably better than Indie Cindy. obviously it still a long way off the quality of their old stuff, but guess to enjoy new Pixies you kind of have to put their old stuff to the back of your mind. Baa's Back is the obvious highlight just for bringing some rawness to the whole thing - actually could've fitted nicely on one of the first four albums. All I Think About Now, intentional or not, sounds an awful lot like Where Is My Mind pt.2

Yeah. I mean, as much as I argued that Indie Cindy wasn't a car crash, it wasn't a good album either, whereas I believe this is and I'm really loving it. Couple of shiters but most of it is a hoot.

First EP from Anteros has come out over the past week, only had one listen so far but I'm really enjoying this,  may try and catch them if they come down this way.  They've been putting stuff on soundcloud and youtube for the last year but I'd not caught them until now.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Bought any recent wax chief?

Explosions In The Sky - The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place, Nils Frahm - Spaces and St Vincent - Strange Mercy are the most recent additions. I did get given a box of records recovered from a mate's mum's attic during the process of him moving her out, tasked with seeing if anything was worth having. It was mainly all compilations of shite from the 70s, but there was a copy of MJ's Bad in there which immediately caught my eye, but upon opening it up I found the disc looked like it'd been attacked by wolves and was never going to be playable ever again. Then I found a very battered sleeve of The Shape Of Jazz To Come, which didn't seem to gel with the tastes in the rest of the box, but definitely had me excited in case the contents was well preserved. Didn't have a disc in there at all, I rooted through the rest of them to see if it had got into another sleeve but weren't there. So I dropped them all off at Red Cross, told the man if he reckons he can't shift them I don't mind taking him to the tip to save him the work, don't want to look like one of those middle class dweebs who gives the charity shop loads of useless tat that wont sell because their conscience feels better if somebody else bins it for them, but he said even unplayable vinyl sells - mainly to people doing arts and crafts or decorating. What a world we live in. Anyway it made me think I should definitely add Bad and Shape Of Jazz To Come to my collection and I'm sniffing around the internet for decent pressings when I get paid next week.

Anything exciting on the Wooderson turntable at the minute?

14 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Bought any recent wax chief?

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nils Frahm - Spaces

Spaces, There Is Love In You by Four Tet and Super Ape by Lee Scratch Perry are the next on my list.

I've been on a bit of a Burial spree recently though, got Rival Dealer a few weeks back, Kindred arrived the other day and I'm thinking of ordering his self-titled later today.  

This on wax at high volume is something else:

new Jagwar Ma is out. more of the same really and on first listen it doesn't sound quite as good as Howlin' (nothing's knocking me on my arse like The Throw did the first time i heard it) but still very good. i loved Howlin' so this will be getting repeated listens from me

new Green Day also out, although i haven't listened to it yet and am not particularly excited about it. that first song they released was surprisingly good but the two that followed were fairly shit

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

new Green Day also out, although i haven't listened to it yet and am not particularly excited about it. that first song they released was surprisingly good but the two that followed were fairly shit

Yeah, Bang Bang sounded like a return to form but listened to Still Breathing this morning and it left me massively underwhelmed.  I'd go so far as to say shite, in fact.