2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to the LNZNDRF album a bit over the last few days. It's the two Devendorf brothers from The National and someone from Beirut who's name I can't remember. I think it's pretty good, probably my favourite of the various side projects from The National over the last year or so. The album isn't really that similar to either The National or Beirut, more of a post-punk sort of thing and the songs are quite long.

I've also been listening to the new Iggy Pop album which leaked the other day. Again I think it's good, can definitely hear Josh Homme's influence on a lot of the songs.

2 hours ago, supasum said:

Did anyone else actually quite enjoy bloc party's new album ?
Saw them in Brixton last night, very good gig, and even the new songs they played went down pretty well

No it's fucking terrible, and I'm a big fan. Saw them in Newcastle last week and they were alright but the new songs were naff, as expected. 

13 hours ago, supasum said:

New King Blues song posted on their Facebook, not sure if I think its terrible or not, but its nice to have them back and angry

Its angry, but it sounds like 15yr old kids trying to be political. Unfortunately its so far down the line that I cant take anything Itch does seriously.

3 hours ago, wozwebs said:

Manchester band Spring King getting a lot of hype. I'd expect a JP or BBC Introducing slot

Yeah I think the 'class of 2016' of acts that are featuring on most major festival bills including Glastonbury will include them, Blossoms, Clean Cut Kid, Jack Garratt (obviously), Rat Boy and maybe Sunflower Bean. Them ones seem the most hyped.

On 2/12/2016 at 10:07 PM, Will-2609 said:

No it's fucking terrible, and I'm a big fan. Saw them in Newcastle last week and they were alright but the new songs were naff, as expected. 

Indeed, I defended Four against people slating it...but the new is just shite all over. First Bloc Party I've not even really liked one single from :S

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There's a song towards the end (Virtue, I think) where a similar sound to that noise from The Love Within makes a comeback. Did anyone else recoil at that moment?

I didn't think about TLW when I was listening but that was the main one I was thinking of when I was on about baffling noises coming out of nowhere.

Quite enjoying the new Flowers album, who are a bit 'brooding post-punk garage shoegazey-ish' - saw them supporting Hop Along in November, though they're better live than on record.

Foxes new album is alright too for Tesco-CD-section pop.

New DIIV is too bloated and samey for me to get through right now, though I think there's a good album in there somewhere.

Milk Teeth's debut was disappointing too after a cracking couple of EPs. They've lost their grunge in favour of just general shit-punk.

2 hours ago, Veg & French said:

Hi Music lovers!
Here is a small survey about food consumption on music festival,
I would be really thankful if you take time to answer it!
Thanks a lot for your attention,
https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/5G6QBPT

Veg & Fre(n)sh

Please find an appropriate thread to post this request, or start a new thread. Unless this is actually an advert, in which case contact the admins to get guidance on the best way to proceed.

Not that you'll read this reply if any of the other request for surveys are anything to go by.