The Fermi paradox

bamber

• 2 months later...

The latest thinking is that Gravity is just the propensity of all matter to seek the place where time travels slowest. Such a plausible theory should not be dismissed.  Gravity it turns out is just a universal attraction to kicking back, chilling out and wasting time.

• 2 months later...

An Orangutan made out of sticks*. An advanced alien intelligence might even, probably would, just, see this as a bunch of sticks? We could be looking at the products, the artistic outpourings, of great alien intelligence, broadcast across the vast interstellar, intergalactic universe and see just a bunch of sticks. Do you see what I'm saying here? In an infinite universe, there would of course be an infinite number of Orangutans made out of sticks. Intuition always suggests otherwise. If there are other planets where there are Orangutans and there are artists who chose to make a representation of their Orangutans made out of sticks, then there is is no sign of them. It does not mean they are not there.

There is however the tantalising possibility, in a finite universe, that this is the only Orangutan made out of sticks that has ever existed in the whole of the history of the Universe. Imagine that!

It is so, so beautiful. It is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

green_sun-6.jpg

*(Craft Field Glastonbury 2017)

Edited by bamber

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2017 at 7:28 PM, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

We still have love and music. And that'll do for me in the meantime.

Hooray to that!

Stephen Hawking thinks we should shut the fuck up and not draw any attention to ourselves because advanced aliens are likely hostile. I'm not so sure about that, but he likely knows better than me, so I kind of defer on that one.

Would aliens eat us when presented with this though?

Edited by bamber

As cosmically inconsequential events go, me going to see Roy Ayres next Sunday in Amsterdam, must rank as one of the more galacticly irrelevant outcomes. That said I'm fully looking froward to it. 

On this planet, I'm not able to name another Vibes virtuoso. Intuitively, again, to re-iterate an earlier point, in a finite universe Roy Ayres may be the only Vibes virtuoso that ever existed! Roy is 76 now, he was a lot younger here.... even I am too old to remember this Californian performance on Soul Train, I do so however wish I was there.... Just bees and things and flowers.....

• 5 months later...

Couple of weeks ago the US DoD released this with little fanfare. It looks like a bug stuck on the glass of a fighter plane to me but the pilots get awfully exited. Puzzling release though.

Edited by bamber

• 11 months later...

The Cosmos. It is all that is, all that ever was, and all that ever will be.

Carl Sagan.

If every child was shown this on their first day of school, we would not live in such a mad, misguided world.

Edited by bamber

It is a millisecond ago in Carl Sagan's cosmic clock, but this seems like a very long time ago to me.

Utterly wonderful re-discovery for  Black Friday.....

*Borrows quite heavily from sweet home Alabama*

Edited by bamber

• 1 month later...