The Future Of Download

oneoftherest

49 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

The Offspring wouldn't have been under Green Day as Green Day were not even in the running. Offspring would have been under Foo Fighters.

Download have already made 5 announcements, so not sure why you're saying they are gearing up for their 2nd.

I have no idea what Readings plans are, but it seems like there was a battle for GnR, not RHCP.

Under FF even better but Foo's were never going to play, all they need it a better offer on the table. They don't like being associated with a metal festival regardless of what AC says, you can't defend that it primarily is after what he's booked so far.

Downloads own Twitter that says news is coming two days ago and it's been said about a pre XMAS announcement so I'd take that as decent proof.

I imagine the biggest battle this year is for GNR.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, metalicbear said:

GD didn't happen because LS got his facts mixed up, they were never in the running in 2008.

Rammstein were approached originally, they chose not to tour.

Kiss approached Download asking to play.

Metallica and RATM ended up at Reading instead.

Foo Fighters decided to do their own shows.

Download went back to Kiss and Lostprophets and The Offspring got bumped up. There was also talks of Judas Priest being pushed up.

So which three were supposed to be headlining out of Foos, Rammstein, Metallica and RATM?

No idea why you're even trying to claim Lucky as being wrong, when everybody on here knows that you (and your alter ego Black Crow) have no idea what's going on, whilst Lucky has proven several times he gets good info.

50 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Under FF even better but Foo's were never going to play, all they need it a better offer on the table. They don't like being associated with a metal festival regardless of what AC says, you can't defend that it primarily is after what he's booked so far.

Downloads own Twitter that says news is coming two days ago and it's been said about a pre XMAS announcement so I'd take that as decent proof.

I imagine the biggest battle this year is for GNR.

He didn't say there isn't an announcement coming. He said they've already had 5 announcements so this wouldn't be the second announcement.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

He didn't say there isn't an announcement coming. He said they've already had 5 announcements so this wouldn't be the second announcement.

I see that, my bad, although I actually meant the 2nd after we knew the headers really or you could call it a 5th announcement coming.

I'm more inclined to believe LS about GD btw.

I have had so much info over the years for different fests, there's every chance I could have a wrong year. But obviously Green Day have been approached for Download and had talks, be insane if they hadn't.

Metalicbear is right Rammstein were approached that year but didn't want to do UK fests as they felt they wouldn't be received well, im not sure how much Soni had influence in changing that, or they just thought fuck it lets give it a shot.

A lot of people also mention RATM for that year, but I don't think they ever were booked, think they had an approach but they simple just went for Readings offer instead, don't think they were booked then pulled out to play Reading as that's pretty unprofessional. 

Can you guys actually imagine the amount of acts verbally agreed for all these major UK fests over the year that don't end up playing, its quite insane how plans change

Edited by luckysalt

3 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

So which three were supposed to be headlining out of Foos, Rammstein, Metallica and RATM?

No idea why you're even trying to claim Lucky as being wrong, when everybody on here knows that you (and your alter ego Black Crow) have no idea what's going on, whilst Lucky has proven several times he gets good info.

Re-read my post again. I said Rammstein were asked to play, they weren't sure what their plans were and then decided not to tour, the headliners were supposed to be Metallica, Foo Fighters, RATM. Green Day were never mentioned once at the time.

I don't have an alter ego, I only have 1 username. So I'm not sure what you're alluding too, didn't you also think that I was Gazza too.

LS has been proven wrong several times. He wasn't even on the DLF at the time, everyone who was, knows which headliners were in line to play. As it was common knowledge at the time.

6 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

Re-read my post again. I said Rammstein were asked to play, they weren't sure what their plans were and then decided not to tour, the headliners were supposed to be Metallica, Foo Fighters, RATM. Green Day were never mentioned once at the time.

I don't have an alter ego, I only have 1 username. So I'm not sure what you're alluding too, didn't you also think that I was Gazza too.

LS has been proven wrong several times. He wasn't even on the DLF at the time, everyone who was, knows which headliners were in line to play. As it was common knowledge at the time.

Well Neil has told us all that you and Black Crow have been posting from the same place, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're posting from the same place.

No, I didn't think you were Gazza.

Simply bollocks to be honest. I don't know who Gazza or Black Crow or that other guy is who people keep saying we're the same person...

I don't have any other aliases and only go by my 1 user on every forum I use. I have only had 1 other username and that was on the DLF and that was raebcilatem - Metalicbear backwards.

Download's biggest problem is that they're a festival with a massive identity crisis. Andy Copping tries pushing it as a "rock" festival with metal acts and not a "metal" festival with rock acts - but time and time again this has proven to be bollocks. He's gone all out on the metal front this year - I don't blame him for it in the sense the average Download punter only gives a shit about metal bands, even if they've seen them all before multiple times. It's no surprise to see that this year has been the one year when their Facebook group has generally been happy with the announcements. 

They're not doing anything at all to create a fan-base or loyalty around a younger demographic - especially with this year's lineup. What makes it all the more funny is Andy Copping's warped idea of the festival he books. On his Twitter he regularly states how he thinks bands like "Paramore", "You Me At Six" and "All Time Low" could or will headline the festival within 5 years. I just find that borderline insanity when you consider, as someone else in this thread pointed out, that they haven't even had likes of Green Day or blink-182 headline before. You can argue all day about whether or not Green Day want to play or if blink dropped out of it - but the bottom line is there is no previous for a pop-punk band headlining the festival - you can mention MCR if you want but I don't agree with them being in that label and that was a disastrous booking anyway. 

I just think that the majority of people between the ages of say like 18-26 who are into Slam Dunk/Reading sort of bands look at Download in exactly the same way that Green Day look at it - "oh. Download? well it's a metal festival isn't it? dunno if i'd wanna go to that really :/" 

I could understand the lineup they've gone with this year if they had no intention of being a rock festival and wanted to be a metal festival - but to still push the idea that an All Time Low, Paramore or You Me At Six could or will headline any time soon is pretty strange really. Seeing Andy Copping say shit like this after booking the top 9 he has this year - is almost like if Vince McMahon was on Twitter saying shit like "We love giving women's wrestling a chance" after booking Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch for a 3 minute throwaway match on Raw, or if he was saying shit like "Cesaro and Dean Ambrose are future Wrestlemania headliners for sure" - when it's clear from the booking that this isn't going to be the case.  

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought it was an interesting point. At least he didn't start babbling about water prices. :P

Well I didn't mention the price of water at all and was more complaining of an illegal action by the venue :P 

Also while, PPS does bring up some interesting points I just don't agree with half of them such as what the Slam Dunk and R&L crowd think of Download and the Pop Punk headliner despite the fact that there are only 2 much could comfortably headline anyway.

11 hours ago, metalicbear said:

Simply bollocks to be honest. I don't know who Gazza or Black Crow or that other guy is who people keep saying we're the same person...

and yet you and Black Crow posted from the same IP address within minutes of each other. :roilleyes:

Perhaps you've been sharing a library computer but haven't realised who you've taken the seat from...? :P

14 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Download's biggest problem is that they're a festival with a massive identity crisis. Andy Copping tries pushing it as a "rock" festival with metal acts and not a "metal" festival with rock acts - but time and time again this has proven to be bollocks. He's gone all out on the metal front this year - I don't blame him for it in the sense the average Download punter only gives a shit about metal bands, even if they've seen them all before multiple times. It's no surprise to see that this year has been the one year when their Facebook group has generally been happy with the announcements. 

They're not doing anything at all to create a fan-base or loyalty around a younger demographic - especially with this year's lineup. What makes it all the more funny is Andy Copping's warped idea of the festival he books. On his Twitter he regularly states how he thinks bands like "Paramore", "You Me At Six" and "All Time Low" could or will headline the festival within 5 years. I just find that borderline insanity when you consider, as someone else in this thread pointed out, that they haven't even had likes of Green Day or blink-182 headline before. You can argue all day about whether or not Green Day want to play or if blink dropped out of it - but the bottom line is there is no previous for a pop-punk band headlining the festival - you can mention MCR if you want but I don't agree with them being in that label and that was a disastrous booking anyway. 

I just think that the majority of people between the ages of say like 18-26 who are into Slam Dunk/Reading sort of bands look at Download in exactly the same way that Green Day look at it - "oh. Download? well it's a metal festival isn't it? dunno if i'd wanna go to that really :/" 

I could understand the lineup they've gone with this year if they had no intention of being a rock festival and wanted to be a metal festival - but to still push the idea that an All Time Low, Paramore or You Me At Six could or will headline any time soon is pretty strange really. Seeing Andy Copping say shit like this after booking the top 9 he has this year - is almost like if Vince McMahon was on Twitter saying shit like "We love giving women's wrestling a chance" after booking Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch for a 3 minute throwaway match on Raw, or if he was saying shit like "Cesaro and Dean Ambrose are future Wrestlemania headliners for sure" - when it's clear from the booking that this isn't going to be the case.  

I agree with a lot of what you have said except the Slam Dunk being 18-26, it's closer to 16-18 lol ;P.

15 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

is almost like if Vince McMahon was on Twitter saying shit like "We love giving women's wrestling a chance" after booking Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch for a 3 minute throwaway match on Raw, or if he was saying shit like "Cesaro and Dean Ambrose are future Wrestlemania headliners for sure" - when it's clear from the booking that this isn't going to be the case.  

WHAT

On 29/11/2015, 10:25:16, metalicbear said:

GD didn't happen because LS got his facts mixed up, they were never in the running in 2008.

Rammstein were approached originally, they chose not to tour.

Kiss approached Download asking to play.

Metallica and RATM ended up at Reading instead.

Foo Fighters decided to do their own shows.

Download went back to Kiss and Lostprophets and The Offspring got bumped up. There was also talks of Judas Priest being pushed up.

Still wrong.

It was Rammsten, Foos and RATM. Foos went for their own shows, RATM went for R/L for a double payday and Rammstein went back in the studio plus one of the band members' family was seriously ill.

KISS had originally approached DL but DL said they had their headliners - had to go back cap in hand to them. Offspring and Lostprophets bumped up - one from 2nd stage headliner and one from subbing.

It was also the year they had to move after turning up on site to a MotoX track in mainstage and being told htey could use half the area due to F1 works.

On 29/11/2015, 19:42:04, luckysalt said:

I have had so much info over the years for different fests, there's every chance I could have a wrong year. But obviously Green Day have been approached for Download and had talks, be insane if they hadn't.

Metalicbear is right Rammstein were approached that year but didn't want to do UK fests as they felt they wouldn't be received well, im not sure how much Soni had influence in changing that, or they just thought fuck it lets give it a shot.

A lot of people also mention RATM for that year, but I don't think they ever were booked, think they had an approach but they simple just went for Readings offer instead, don't think they were booked then pulled out to play Reading as that's pretty unprofessional. 

Can you guys actually imagine the amount of acts verbally agreed for all these major UK fests over the year that don't end up playing, its quite insane how plans change

It was a lot more than just verbal on all three bands from what I've been told over the years and the story never changes no matter who it comes from in the DL team. Rammstein, RATM, Foos. All 3 were booked but still negotiating the final terms (riders, timings, etc) and pulled out very very late in the day, hence the issues they had.

49 minutes ago, polythene_girl said:

It was a lot more than just verbal on all three bands from what I've been told over the years and the story never changes no matter who it comes from in the DL team. Rammstein, RATM, Foos. All 3 were booked but still negotiating the final terms (riders, timings, etc) and pulled out very very late in the day, hence the issues they had.

I think Foo's will always pull out as well should the offer be better, they'll be waiting until Glasto and R&L have had them at least.