The Future Of Download

oneoftherest

Just because I'm interested who do you see headlining in the next few years who hasn't headlined before?

I'm just thinking because after this years announcement where all 3 have played before and all three are pretty old acts. Mainstream metal seems to be dying so is the festival going to have to open itself up to more standard rock bands like Fall Out Boy, Bring Me etc.

I just think they're not doing much to set themselves up for a future without these classic rock/metal bands.

Anyways weigh in with ya thoughts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Bring me the horizon

Five finger death punch 

Bon jovi 

Foo fighters 

Pearl jam

Paramore 

Van Halen 

Volbeat 

Let's be honest, FFDP are way off, FF clearly don't give a fuck nor do PJ pr even VH for that matter and Volbeat may take more than a few. Paramore depending on what they do, BMTH and Bon Jovi maybe but I still don't see it, there has been lot's of opportunities.

Foos could easily still happen.

Van Halen if they can be arsed.

Pearl Jam won't ever happen

Paramore could easily fade away to not being headliner strength IMO, would need to happen sooner rather than later.

BMTH are on the cusp.

FFDP will be sub next time then get the push.

Volbeat are much further down the pecking order

Bon Jovi could happen at anytime tbh

adding a couple

Alter Bridge are getting there but would need strong headliners alongside them I reckon

Blink are a very strong chance

RHCP may be touring this year and not playing but theres every chance they will in the future

I agree on Fall Out Boy as well. They're getting close, another big album and arena tour and they probably will.

Biffy could also headline no problem.

I've been thinking Mastodon might make a slow rise to the top. They are quite well loved already and have been creeping up the lineups after every album. They just strike me as the sort of band that could be the next Metallica or whatever, although I wouldn't bet on it.

But for the matter at hand, I don't really think it's actually gonna be in that poor a state. The headliners that will be packing it in soon will be Sabbath, Maiden, and also the less frequent AC/DC, KISS and Aerosmith and that's about it. The likes of Van Halen, Metallica, Rammstein, Bon Jovi may have been around for ages but still could have 15-20 years left in them. Even then people aren't just gonna stop going to festivals as a consequence of these bands retiring and other bands will be promoted to top billing.

Edited by dentalplan

Paramore? headlining Download!? don't see that ever happening myself. likewise with Blink 182 really. hasn't ever been a pop/punk headliner before and i don't see it happening any time soon either (The Offspring i guess, but that wasn't exactly a roaring success). as much as Copping may say he wants it to be a rock festival rather than a metal festival, most of the headliners fall more in to the metal or hard rock bracket than anything else, and any time he strays from that (Feeder, My Chemical Romance, Lostprophets, Muse etc) it seems to go down badly (when announced, anyway - performance wise i think they tend to do alright)

this is exactly where Sonisphere should be taking advantage, though. if it booked these type of acts to headline that Download tends not to (RHCP included in this - can't really see that one happening) it'd be able to get together a great set, instead of just going for exactly what Download does and failing

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've been thinking Mastodon might make a slow rise to the top. They are quite well loved already and have been creeping up the lineups after every album. They just strike me as the sort of band that could be the next Metallica or whatever, although I wouldn't bet on it.

can't see Mastodon ever quite making it unfortunately. seem like the type of act that should've reached the upper levels by now but have just kind of hung around mid-level

as for the state of the festival, it's been repeating the same stuff for years and is still doing okay. all the people i know who go are over the moon with this years headliners despite them being such close repeats. metalheads like what they like, and whenever Copping has fucked about with that it's caused a fuss

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Paramore? headlining Download!? don't see that ever happening myself. likewise with Blink 182 really. hasn't ever been a pop/punk headliner before and i don't see it happening any time soon either. as much as Copping may say he wants it to be a rock festival rather than a metal festival, most of the headliners fall more in to the metal or hard rock bracket than anything else, and any time he strays from that (Feeder, My Chemical Romance, Lostprophets, Muse etc) it seems to go down badly (when announced, anyway - performance wise i think they tend to do alright)

this is exactly where Sonisphere should be taking advantage, though. if it booked these type of acts to headline that Download tends not to (RHCP included in this - can't really see that one happening) it'd be able to get together a great set, instead of just going for exactly what Download does and failing

can't see Mastodon ever quite making it unfortunately. seem like the type of act that should've reached the upper levels by now but have just kind of hung around mid-level

as for the state of the festival, it's been repeating the same stuff for years and is still doing okay. all the people i know who go are over the moon with this years headliners despite them being such close repeats. metalheads like what they like, and whenever Copping has fucked about with that it's caused a fuss

Yeah, I went to watch Clutch the other night in Bristol and was talking to two guys who were absolutely delighted with the line up.

One of them said that 8 out of the 9 (not Nightwish)announced bands were in his top ten bands of all time.

Personally I'm quite happy despite seeing all bands before except Disturbed.Theres loads of bands I watch every time they tour so seeing a band at a festival 3 years after the last time is no biggie for me.

2 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Copping himself says Paramore are in the running to headline. 

If it wasn't for the problems in the band a few years ago you would have seen them high on the bill then.

Blink were also booked as headliner before, but they went on hiatus. 

what year were Blink booked? i think both would go down like a sack of shit if announced, so i look forward to the day when/if it actually happens

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

what year were Blink booked? i think both would go down like a sack of shit if announced, so i look forward to the day when/if it actually happens

I put 2008, that was wrong got completely mixed up.

It was 2005 they were booked as headliner but went on hiatus before announced, Feeder replaced them, they were originally gunna sub Blink.

Edited by luckysalt

1 minute ago, luckysalt said:

See above dude, I got mixed up. 

2008 was originally Green Day, Lost Prophets and Foos.

And trust me on LP, they were ALWAYS booked as headliner.

The Offspring always struck me as the weaker of those headliners - at the time it looked like Lostprophets were soon to be all-round festival headliners but they fucked about too much releasing the follow up to Liberation Transmission (for reasons that are more apparent now) which stalled their rise indefinitely. hard to argue with that trio. shame it never came to pass

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's the thing though; I don't agree they've 'hung around' but just progressed at quite an amble so you don't really notice it. But the last album broke the top 10 so with the right promotion (they're willing to do Jools Holland and shit like that) the next one could do top 5 - so that, headline Bloodstock, good slot at R+L, 3rd down at Download 2017 (on Metallica day obviously) and then we'll be talking big leagues. :P

32 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

You got mixed up again, as GD weren't down to headline in 2008. Both Lostprophets and The Offspring were bumped up when headliners pulled out. Kiss were a last minute replacement as well, but actually approached AC in the beginning asking to play. Original headliners were meant to be Metallica, RATM and Foo Fighters.

Edited by metalicbear

Machine Head's time would have been the first Download in 2003. Just a shame Supercharger was a terrible album and Through the Ashes of Empires was basically trying to catch up again, then they took so long to release The Blackening; which ended up just being a Metallica tribute album and by that time their time had already passed them, Unto the Locust did nothing to help them.

Their pig-headedness hasn't helped their cause either - refusing to headline 2nd stage, refusing to play a UK festival unless they headline etc.

Edited by metalicbear

12 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

BMTH are still on the rise. Obviously they could be future headliners.

I mean Bon Jovi as could have played anytime, not BMTH sorry.

11 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Copping himself says Paramore are in the running to headline. 

If it wasn't for the problems in the band a few years ago you would have seen them high on the bill then.

Blink were also booked as headliner before, but they went on hiatus. 

I do think Paramore need to do it quick, the perfect time for Download to get then would of been 2013 as they were selling everything. Paramore are a much better indoor than outdoor band it has to be said though. Yeah I was going to say about Blink. Them, SOAD and Sabbath is decent, even if it was a half arsed Sabbath.

11 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Who why did GD and Foos not happen? LP were massive then and it was probably the time when bar the top boya like Metallica, people playing 3rd at Reading could headline Download.

33 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Who why did GD and Foos not happen? LP were massive then and it was probably the time when bar the top boya like Metallica, people playing 3rd at Reading could headline Download.

GD didn't happen because LS got his facts mixed up, they were never in the running in 2008.

Rammstein were approached originally, they chose not to tour.

Kiss approached Download asking to play.

Metallica and RATM ended up at Reading instead.

Foo Fighters decided to do their own shows.

Download went back to Kiss and Lostprophets and The Offspring got bumped up. There was also talks of Judas Priest being pushed up.

17 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

GD didn't happen because LS got his facts mixed up, they were never in the running in 2008.

Rammstein were approached originally, they chose not to tour.

Kiss approached Download asking to play.

Metallica and RATM ended up at Reading instead.

Foo Fighters decided to do their own shows.

Download went back to Kiss and Lostprophets and The Offspring got bumped up. There was also talks of Judas Priest being pushed up.

As much as at the time The Offspring inder Green Day would of been ace, you are he person telling us Soni is happening next year with no sign of an announcement while Download are gearing up for a 2nd one. 

I would take a slight bet that if Reading have RHCP, they have gone for them so that Soni don't have them as Chilis and maybe SOAD would do well.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

As much as at the time The Offspring inder Green Day would of been ace, you are he person telling us Soni is happening next year with no sign of an announcement while Download are gearing up for a 2nd one. 

I would take a slight bet that if Reading have RHCP, they have gone for them so that Soni don't have them as Chilis and maybe SOAD would do well.

The Offspring wouldn't have been under Green Day as Green Day were not even in the running. Offspring would have been under Foo Fighters.

Download have already made 5 announcements, so not sure why you're saying they are gearing up for their 2nd.

I have no idea what Readings plans are, but it seems like there was a battle for GnR, not RHCP.