Blues Music at Glasto

Billy Corgan's Ego

First timer next year here seeking good, real blues music. 

I know Glasto caters for nearly all genre's, and that there seems to be a stage called 'The Blue's', however how many actual real blues artists are there usually booked over the 5 days? Do many artists come over from the deep south in the US?

Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's bits of it spread out on different stages rather than being in the one place (since the sad demise of Bourbon Street) so you have to do a little research first.

These boards are a good source of information,  ask the question again after the line up is out and I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations. 

It was an excellent venue. It's a shame Glastonbury seems to have been moving away from distinct styles on each stage over the past few years. E.g. W Holts is a broader range of music than Jazzworld + Other Stage being much more an overflow for Pyramid than the indie-centric stage it used to be.

I've not done a detailed analysis of the lineups, so I may be way off the mark with this, but it certainly feels that way to me.

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was an excellent venue. It's a shame Glastonbury seems to have been moving away from distinct styles on each stage over the past few years. E.g. W Holts is a broader range of music than Jazzworld + Other Stage being much more an overflow for Pyramid than the indie-centric stage it used to be.

I've not done a detailed analysis of the lineups, so I may be way off the mark with this, but it certainly feels that way to me.

I think you're right, I've been surprised at some of the acts that have been shoehorned onto WH or Other in recent years. Especially the former. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

All the good blues guys are long dead unfortunately.

Far from it.  The blues are alive and well - though thriving far more in Germany and Holland than the UK.  I went to see a great young blues guitarist, Danny Bryant, who I've championed for a dozen years or more, the other night and he's in the middle of a 40 gig tour - most of which is now in Europe. www.dannybryant.com

Also going to see Oli Brown's new band Raveneye next week.

Walter Trout, Danny's mentor, is now recovered from his liver transplant and is back on the road.  The blues will always be.

agreed that it's a shame that bourbon st had such a short run. that area was really picking up as a glasto hub, what with the lineup at QHead/Williams Green having a few gems from time to time. John Fairhurst seems to play all over the site nowadays, but i first caught him late night once at the Bimble Inn, and I'm guessing you can probably catch a few blues sets there, one of my fave small venues on the site

best blues discovery for me was the first act up on the great pyramid saturday that was 2003...Ben Andrews and his acoustic blues. wayne coyne (flaming lips) was similarly amazed and came up to Ben afterwards asking him 'who are you again?'...

16 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Far from it.  The blues are alive and well - though thriving far more in Germany and Holland than the UK.  I went to see a great young blues guitarist, Danny Bryant, who I've championed for a dozen years or more, the other night and he's in the middle of a 40 gig tour - most of which is now in Europe. www.dannybryant.com

Also going to see Oli Brown's new band Raveneye next week.

Walter Trout, Danny's mentor, is now recovered from his liver transplant and is back on the road.  The blues will always be.

Fair enough but not really blues is it?

Yeah all good stuff but a lot of this isn't blues really. A lot of it is rock music.

To answer the OP question, no we don't see a lot of artists from the delta over this neck of the woods. They play tiny clubs there at best. Would love it they did though!

Reds in Clarksdale is probably the best boozer in the world! They could just ask old Red for a list of people who play his club and fly them all over!

I filmed this one. On the sly as they don't like it!

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Suwalki Blues fest is on in Poland in early July. Glasto could get all these guys. AND pay for a load of the Delta guys to come over.

2015 lineup but an idea of the sort of people knocking about.

http://suwalkiblues.com/performers/

Also Taj Mahal is in Europe in May.

This is the sort of stuff we need down in the farm. Class! 

Hope Taj tour in the UK, cannot see it however. Real blues has never really caught on in the UK