Explosions In The Sky

EIaine

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Park headliner? 

Easily.

They headlined End of the Road in 2009 and were bloody amazing. They suffer from a bit of a stereotyped perception/reputation for being an uninventive quiet-loud-quiet-loud vanilla post-rock band. They're not. they're one of the architects of that genre and have retained their popularity because their songwriting is so strong.

I watched the Friday Night Lights movie for the first time a few weeks ago, having not listened to EITS for a while. They wote the soundtrack, incorporating themes and melodies from some of their previous tracks amongst the original material. Reminded me of why I like them so much.

Live, they are astonishing, unleashing massive power, interspersed with such beautiful, delicate guitar lines. That they can create that just with guitars and drums (with relatively little change to the guitar sounds through effects) is amazing. Sometimes they play with just three guitars and drums - i.e. no bass. That's pretty full on too.

Can you imagine if both Sigur Ros and EITS played GF2016? We post-rock fanboys would be wetting ourselves with excitement!

Ben

19 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Easily.

They headlined End of the Road in 2009 and were bloody amazing. They suffer from a bit of a stereotyped perception/reputation for being an uninventive quiet-loud-quiet-loud vanilla post-rock band. They're not. they're one of the architects of that genre and have retained their popularity because their songwriting is so strong.

I watched the Friday Night Lights movie for the first time a few weeks ago, having not listened to EITS for a while. They wote the soundtrack, incorporating themes and melodies from some of their previous tracks amongst the original material. Reminded me of why I like them so much.

Live, they are astonishing, unleashing massive power, interspersed with such beautiful, delicate guitar lines. That they can create that just with guitars and drums (with relatively little change to the guitar sounds through effects) is amazing. Sometimes they play with just three guitars and drums - i.e. no bass. That's pretty full on too.

Can you imagine if both Sigur Ros and EITS played GF2016? We post-rock fanboys would be wetting ourselves with excitement!

Ben

Looking at doing my second Green Man and first EotR this year, hoping that between th m they'll have Explosions In The Sky and Sigur Ros on the line ups. Not an enormous fan of either, but I've always intended to expand my listening ofthem, and their inclusion would mean two of my friends who are massive post rock fans will final!y change their stance on EotR to "we'll try it next time" to "we have to go this year".

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Looking at doing my second Green Man and first EotR this year, hoping that between th m they'll have Explosions In The Sky and Sigur Ros on the line ups. Not an enormous fan of either, but I've always intended to expand my listening ofthem, and their inclusion would mean two of my friends who are massive post rock fans will final!y change their stance on EotR to "we'll try it next time" to "we have to go this year".

SR would have to be Green Man, I think, as a return to EOTR would be far too soon. SR closing the Mountain Stage (if it is dry...!) would be just about as good as it gets. I can't think of a more beautiful festival setting.

EITS could be up for either, I guess, it being 4 and 6 years, respectively, since they headlined GM and EOTR.

I'm only doing Glastonbury, so am hoping for both of them at Worthy.

Ben

As an EOTR sort of regular (missed last year but been to a few) I always equate the Park with EOTR... headliners can sort of correspond and the acts in the day time.

(In fact, the more time I spend at the Park at Glastonbury the more I think why bother with the hassle and not just do EOTR again this year!) Can't beat a good big act on the Pyramid though, as infrequent as good ones seem to be for me in latter years.

• 7 months later...

Missed EITS due to clashes, but have now bought tickets for Liverpool Phil(perfect venue I would imagine) gig in October.

Who saw them at the Festival and what were your thoughts?

thanks

59 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They were excellent, Harry!

Worked a treat in JP.

Oh great, I'm really happy about that. One of my fave bands, but having seen them on the tour I skipped them for Foals (I think). Glad they were good. Did they have their cool lighting?

4 hours ago, Harry49 said:

Missed EITS due to clashes, but have now bought tickets for Liverpool Phil(perfect venue I would imagine) gig in October.

Who saw them at the Festival and what were your thoughts?

thanks

Great at Glastonbury, seriously considering going to the Phil.

• 3 months later...

Anybody go to Liverpool this evening? Really amazing stuff, I thought, even if I did miss the first few minutes. New album stuff is brilliant live. Lighting set-up is one of the best in the whole damn game! The time flew by for me, was really surprised when I looked at my watch at the end, was waiting for an encore because I thought they'd only been on for about 40 minutes.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Anybody go to Liverpool this evening? Really amazing stuff, I thought, even if I did miss the first few minutes. New album stuff is brilliant live. Lighting set-up is one of the best in the whole damn game! The time flew by for me, was really surprised when I looked at my watch at the end, was waiting for an encore because I thought they'd only been on for about 40 minutes.

I was there last night. Totally agree - brilliant set. Never seen them before and was blown away. Had wanted to see them at Glasto this year but clashes and mud put a stop to that. The Philharmonic was a perfect venue for them however. Spellbinding!