Field Day 2016

5co77ie

Only caught 20 minutes towards the end of The Avalanches' set and was quite disappointed. Glad I decided not to leave Goat early for them!

Tourist, Molly Nilsson, Goat and Beach House were particular highlights... all superb.

PJ Harvey outshone everyone for me though. Thought it was a bit quiet at the start but didn't have any issues once I edged towards the centre of the stage. I quite like the new album but the songs are a different beast live.

Was good to get some oldies too. The run of Queenie, To Bring You My Love and Down By The Water was ace!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/13/2016 at 1:13 PM, BlackHole2006 said:

Highlight of the day for me was Air. They were so so good. A dull start but when they got into it, it was sublime.

Yeah they was much better than I expected them, totally awesome! Stayed until Sexy Boy then went to see PJ Harvey (because Glasto Clashes =p). Hope to see them again sometime !!

On 6/13/2016 at 4:52 PM, mercury said:

avalanches was the biggest disappointment ever

Quite!

On 6/14/2016 at 7:47 AM, TomViolence said:

Only caught 20 minutes towards the end of The Avalanches' set and was quite disappointed. Glad I decided not to leave Goat early for them!

I wish I had done the same, I bloody love Goat, but I've seen em a couple of times now, still feel like I chose wrongly.

Not sure what to make of Avalanches' was basically just a CD being played, it was good hearing the songs on the PA system nice and loud...but was there any mixing at all beyond a fade out/fade in between tracks?!

That aside, brilliant day, met up with some Glasto people, saw some other brilliant bands. Mystery Jets, The Brian Jonestown Massacre were both outstanding.

Good facilities, seemed to have enough toilets for every one. Beer was in plentiful supply and hardly any queues. 

Queues for food before headliners and most of the day were a downside, but I wouldn't want to many trucks. Think maybe it could do with a couple more places, that just do simple quick food to get people in and out =p

Taken a few days to process my thoughts

Went to scout the area and saw the Shacklewell arms was now tucked away behind the Mainstage, completely messing up our plans to flip flop between the arms and the rural. 0/5

Formation - Christ what a dull dull terrible student band, I don't know who they were mates with to get them on the bill, but I hope he has deleted them by now. 0/5

Cass McCoombs - Maybe I just was not in the right mindset for him, would of been nice after a really hectic band or lying in the sunshine but in a tent after that previous pile of shit I just couldn't do it...sorry cass 2/5

Weather and wading through pile of shit that was meant to be the grass - I think this exemplifies why we need to leave the eu, having the deal with their shitty weater conditions, I say take back our country, take back our weather #brexit.

Mystery Jets - Mindset after being quite bored after those 2 we needed something more upbeat and hard hitting, naturally we chose Mystery jets over fat white family and eeehh, I suppose I can appreciate these guys for sticking around as much as they have but theres a reason they never shooted off into the stratosphere, I think their may problem is they try too often to pretend to be deep and psychadelic maaan when their main focus should be the cute pop songs they do, nice hit of nostalgia but just not a great band unfortunate 2/5

Beer...in a can...4.50 - Look I know this is a problem at all festivals and this is the way things are these days but...the fact I paid 4.50 for an actual physical can that I can buy down my local shop for a pound, it just makes the ripping off that much more blatent. If I'm going to get screwed id rather you do it subtely than do it right to my face, at least pour it into a cup so the extra 3.50 can be "service charge" or something! Moved on to the ales apart from that. Lack of cider - 0/5, First Ale - tasted like piss 0/5. Second Ale - was alright! and got me pissed 4/5

Chicken, Chorizo, Wrap rice..thingy - Delicious! 5/5

So we decided to stick around and watch Temper Trap so we could get a good spot for the Avalances (yeah yeah premptivley laugh it out), You can see why these guys were one hit wonders, its a good job all their fans suddenly showed up as they played their big song, lucky that! 2/5

The Avalanches - It was a dj set, not advertised as such. Apparently they had visa issues and were unable to play a full band set they had planned for this and primavera, fair enough but you could of just played ya new album for us to hear, left early as it wasn't worth sacrificing being right at the back for Beach House 0/5

That stupid wheelbarrow race and shit they had on - What are we children? 0/5

Beach house, MUCH BETTER, even if they were a bit off key, and they don't seem to be able to grasp what their best songs are (Most bands would die to have a song like Lazuli and you are too cool to play it!?) and it was a bit short. I have no idea why they were made to get off at the end, no one was after them!? Still what we got was a wonderful journey through their spirit world as they boomed out this ethereal beast like music whilst shrowded in smoke. One of the best bands in the world these days 4/5

Peej - First flawless performance of the day, not much else you can say really, vocally on point, great instrumentation and whilst the material was mainly from her latest (and brilliant) 2 albums it thematically made sense. Though she chucked a few classics in for good measure. Obviously everyone knows how good she is but at what point will we be discussing her as one of the great female talents this country has ever produced? To be doing this quality of work this late in her career as well as totally ticking the box as a live act, I think it may be very hard for her to be topped. 4/5

Crowds - Wouldn't stop talking! 0/5

So there we go really, kind of saved by the last 2 acts, but shitty weather and being hungover from the England game the day before put a damper (!) on the day for me, hopefully Citadel will be better experience!!!??! x