Underworld

Deano77

25 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Underworld are quite a bit bigger than Leftfield. I don't think they're big enough for Other headers but I suppose they could get it, if not they'd be fine on West Holts

Yeah, I'm going for West Holts for Underworld, if Hot Chip and Disclosure can do it on there then it'll be fine.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I a.ways see Underworld  when I can. Last time was at the Brighton Dome - not the larger Brighton Centre. Not sure that they are that much bigger than Leftfoeld these days...WH would suit so that they could do a lightshow! 

Leftfield were absolutely amazing in Sonic..not my favourite place, but the atmosphere was brilliant. One of the best sets for me this year.

3 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Underworld are quite a bit bigger than Leftfield. I don't think they're big enough for Other headers but I suppose they could get it, if not they'd be fine on West Holts

i think if you put them on the Other stage as headliners in the dark, they'd still have a big crowd. they mightn't be as big as they were, but they still have loads of classic dance tunes and at that time of the night, it's the type of thing a lot of people want to go to.

they'd draw more than a lot of the other acts that people are touting as potential headliners.

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i think if you put them on the Other stage as headliners in the dark, they'd still have a big crowd. they mightn't be as big as they were, but they still have loads of classic dance tunes and at that time of the night, it's the type of thing a lot of people want to go to.

they'd draw more than a lot of the other acts that people are touting as potential headliners.

maybe true (although i think their crowd would be pretty pathetic myself), but i'm sure the bookers would rather have some big, crowd-guaranteed names headline Other rather than somebody like Underworld who could easily headline one of the smaller stages. Underworld on West Holts or JP would be a huge booking, with an appreciative crowd. Underworld on Other would be a half empty field full of people waiting to sing 'LAGER LAGER LAGER'

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Exactly this. Loads of people would only know this song

I would turn up with only being bothered by this song really. I do think other is too big, The Chem Bro's for instance are a much bigger deal.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Underworld on WH?

Yep, it'd be a great booking. The more I think, JP wouldn't be a good decision I don't think, an outdoor place to showcase their light show but not too big an outdoor place that it looks lost.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

maybe true (although i think their crowd would be pretty pathetic myself), but i'm sure the bookers would rather have some big, crowd-guaranteed names headline Other rather than somebody like Underworld who could easily headline one of the smaller stages. Underworld on West Holts or JP would be a huge booking, with an appreciative crowd. Underworld on Other would be a half empty field full of people waiting to sing 'LAGER LAGER LAGER'

Yeah at Bestival this year I stood at the very back barrier. The tent was pretty full at the start but it started emptying out once people realised that every song would be a 12 minute one that they'd never heard of before. By the time Born Slippy came on the tent was half empty. I thought they were brilliant personally but some of the songs do go on for quite a while and that might be a bit dull to someone who's there for just Born Slippy

Edited by jonodillieono

i was a bit of a mess by the time they came on at Bestival but yeah, walked in to the tent and down near the front about half way pretty easily. apart from Born Slippy i think a lot of people would struggle to recognise many/any of their songs, which is why they'd be best on a smaller stage. Big Top at Bestival ain't much bigger than JP is it?

2 hours ago, LeeGalvin said:

This is still one of my absolute favourite moments at Glastonbury, ever. I have a feeling that today's crowd wouldn't go for it in quite the same way, but I'd certainly get my rave on.  

Enjoyed that. I had a 3 year old child then and pregnant with #2, so wasn't at the fest. Thank you :-)

Edited by phillyfaddle
Added a comment

15 hours ago, Homer said:

Orbital - 1999.

they were put on that stage against the stage's wishes - I know that for sure, as I went to see them at a show in Bristol with the stage manager for pre-production talks.

They were originally booked to headline the Other Stage, but then there as a plan to put the Other Stage in a tent (because of the problems the rain had caused in 1998, tho it didn't happen in the end) and Orbital wanted to play on an outdoor stage, so they were moved to Jazzworld.

That Underworld '99 performance was one of a number of really great shows that year.  I remember it being the one that ate up the last reserves of my energy that night and being almost unable to stand on my shaking, exhausted legs by the end of the night, danced my ass off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

How come nobody is thinking JP headliner like with DJ Shadow?

I've put them there in all my predictions! :P 

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I wasn't there but after watching it on iplayer their new stuff sounded really great

Yeah they look decent on iPlayer. Always difficult to tell on recordings like that though.