Sigur Ros

admscott

Just now, FloorFiller said:

nobody has a clue! i'd like to think West Holts headliner, as although they seem far removed from what usually goes on down there, they'd be magnificent on that stage. think we can safely/hopefully assume they'll be headlining a stage though

Agree with you that it's against type, FF, bit also that they'd be amazing on there. Sound would do them proud (was great for Caribou and Hot Chip last year), and just a perfectly sized space. It'd be nicely rammed.

I'd take that, plus EITS on Park on another night and then [TBC] as my third headliner. I have no regrets that, once again, I'll be a Pyramid-non-botherer!

Ben

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Given they had Caribou and Hot Chip I don't think Sigur Ros would be that out of place. They're arguably more West Holts than either of those bands. 

those bands had the whole party atmosphere about them though which West Holts has always seemed to strive for, which is the polar opposite of what Sigur Ros do. not that i care. Other Stage removed, it's the stage size wise and atmosphere wise that will suit them the most i feel

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

those bands had the whole party atmosphere about them though which West Holts has always seemed to strive for, which is the polar opposite of what Sigur Ros do. not that i care. Other Stage removed, it's the stage size wise and atmosphere wise that will suit them the most i feel

I love Caribou and pissed off that I always seem to have someone else clashing with them at Glasto (last year it was the Libs, time before it was the Screamadelica gig), but was their gig that much of a party? Their beats can be pretty sombre a lot of the time. 

If Sigur Ros didn't have a massive indie following, you'd probably just as easily put them in the "world music" category. Yeah agreed though doesn't really matter anyway....

Edited by arcade fireman

Just now, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

Surely they will be on Other Stage?

we all thought, but the contenders to top that stage are already seemingly in place with LCD Soundsystem, New Order and Bring Me The Horizon and/or Disclosure, so doesn't look to be any room for them there.i think they'll be on West Holts

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

we all thought, but the contenders to top that stage are already seemingly in place with LCD Soundsystem, New Order and Bring Me The Horizon and/or Disclosure, so doesn't look to be any room for them there.i think they'll be on West Holts

Maybe, I'm not sure Sigur Ros would headline Other but on there somewhere. I'm pretty sure they sold out Wembley Arena the other year so have a large fan base.

Having said that, I'll go and see them anywhere and are pretty much the only act on the bill I would classify as "must see"

1 minute ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

Maybe, I'm not sure Sigur Ros would headline Other but on there somewhere. I'm pretty sure they sold out Wembley Arena the other year so have a large fan base.

Having said that, I'll go and see them anywhere and are pretty much the only act on the bill I would classify as "must see"

i think they've got to headline a stage due to the need for darkness in their sets - not exactly a daytime band, and the visuals add a lot to their sets - which is why i think a West Holts headline set would suit them down to the ground

Just now, LeeGalvin said:

Do we have a rough idea on the West Holts headliners yet? Could Sigur Ros be one of them?

Earth, Wind & Fire are obviously nailed on. James Blake is a possibility. other than that there are no definites. i think Sigur Ros will be one of them despite not fitting in with previous acts on the stage

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ach. I'm kind of resigned to it maybe happening.

But it's the thin end of a wedge that eventually results in the stage losing some of what makes it special. When Catfish is headlining it 2017 then you can point your finger at Legolas and the lads as the turning point.

More so than Disclosure?

Edited by Winslow Leach

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Earth, Wind & Fire are obviously nailed on. James Blake is a possibility. other than that there are no definites. i think Sigur Ros will be one of them despite not fitting in with previous acts on the stage

I can't see Sigur Ros or James Blake playing West Holts. They'll both be either headlining the Other stage or John Peel.

Guys, here's the thing, just because a band wants to play in the dark doesn't mean they get to. While I appreciate it's more likely then not, all of your theories are based on that fact that they absolutely 100% are!

If there's one thing I've learnt from these boards and all the bookings over the years, never say never! Exclusives are not exclusives, bands who say they'll never play somewhere again play, bands who SHOULD headline a stage don't and so on.

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

Guys, here's the thing, just because a band wants to play in the dark doesn't mean they get to. While I appreciate it's more likely then not, all of your theories are based on that fact that they absolutely 100% are!

If there's one thing I've learnt from these boards and all the bookings over the years, never say never! Exclusives are not exclusives, bands who say they'll never play somewhere again play, bands who SHOULD headline a stage don't and so on.

Didn't someone (you?) say that yesterday.  I don't disagree, mind.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Didn't someone (you?) say that yesterday.  I don't disagree, mind.

Indeed I said this....

On 29/03/2016 at 9:21 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

I'm aware. But you can't ever say never when it comes to festivals. Bands who say they hate a place come back, bands too big for slots play them anyway and so on.

....but it got buried a few pages back and generally disregarded so I thought I'd make the point again but with more words/examples :)

10 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I'd imagine that if a band the stature of Sigur Ros requested that they want to play in the dark, the Glasto organisers would agree. It would have almost certainly been nailed down before the band agreed to play. 

2 minutes ago, robalotalob said:

I'd imagine that if a band the stature of Sigur Ros requested that they want to play in the dark, the Glasto organisers would agree. It would have almost certainly been nailed down before the band agreed to play. 

Yeah you'd think so. My point is you can't be 100% certain.