Citadel 2016

5co77ie

What would people recommend in terms of footwear for this? Apparently it's gonna be hot so I'd rather not wear walking boots unless I really have to. Plus I can't be arsed to carry walking boots down there with me for the weekend. I'm going to London tomorrow so won't be able to wait til the day to decide. Do you think a battered old pair of Converse will be fine?

34 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

What would people recommend in terms of footwear for this? Apparently it's gonna be hot so I'd rather not wear walking boots unless I really have to. Plus I can't be arsed to carry walking boots down there with me for the weekend. I'm going to London tomorrow so won't be able to wait til the day to decide. Do you think a battered old pair of Converse will be fine?

That's what I'm planning to wear. The ground there is normally fine if there's no/barely any rain so it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah this was alright. Sigur Ros were magnificent, naturally. Some sound issues and dull crowds, as well as extremely overpriced drinks of course. And what better way to follow up your £6.50 cider than with a £5 piss in the flushing toilets?

Still, it was fine. Not entirely convinced it'd be worth the asking price but with another strong line up I could see myself going back.

Yeah, good day Bizarre number of closed bars across the site, and only having a solitary bar serving ale (The Doom Bar) was a massive oversight. Also the lack of bins was pretty disgusting. Battles and Calexico were the highlights for me. Was surrounded by chatty twats during Sigur Ros, but the experience wasn't ruined too much. Sadly some "wooooo-girl" and her flailing elbows forced me out of the crowd for Caribou to watch from the side.

Also misjudged how hot it was going to get and regretted my jeans and lack of hat almost immediately.

Finally fair play to the organisation in getting people back to Mile End station. Despite the huge numbers of people, it worked nicely.

4 hours ago, Essex_George said:

Thought Sigur Ròs were amazing, never seen them before. So many people chatting and not even watching them though, moved twice and still ended up by annoying people! 

that's London for you, had same issue at BST a few years back christ there was even a women reading a kindle when Soundgarden was on, it was most defo WTF moment!! :blink:

So back at Victoria Park, and on a sunday mind. Christ, getting home and there was a pain in the arse, good job this one shat all over field day

started the day with GOGO PENGUIN who just played their stuff so effortlessly and made it look so simple, good start. (4/5)

then we had Gillbanks who i had never heard of before and despite appearences i found them quite interesting, they have obviously listened to a lot of deerhunter but put in some cute little variations which certainly kept my attention, hopefully they can build on this and not fade away to shite, quite funny as well (4/5)

not having to wade through piles of shit like at field day (5/5)

Burning hot weather, beats having to wade through piles of shit (5/5)

Cats eyes...pretty dull if were being honest (2/5)

Billie Martin cute, humble, and a lovely voice, a tad samey to be anything great but its always nice to see artists like this get somewhere (3/5)

Matthew and his atlas yeah..alright actually, wow this day is already shaping up well and we havent heard the big three yet (3/5)

Battles not clashing with Caribou (5/5)

Battles actual set (5/5)

Caribou, the combination of Arjen Robben, Father John Misty, Dr Wilson from house and some guy called matt who i went to school with pull it out the bag again, i always wondered why Caribou are so high up on these festivals, like im not saying its a bad thing i just never saw them as this super popular band they seem to be, but i have given it some thought, the landscape of music is currently geard towards electronic music, i get that and theres not a problem with that and caribous music does tick the typical electronic music boxes, interesting beats, long dream soundscapes, minimalist lyrics at times as well which is good but best of all...and this is important..THEY PLAY IT LIVE! Compared to say Dj sets you see dominating festival bills these days Caribou are able to tick both boxes of having the audience dancing having a good time but also able to bring out the personality in songs playing live does to it. I seriously cannot understate just how much of a difference that makes, if their (his) next album is a success i reckon they would slot in nicely as headliner at Green Man or something. The perfect live band for these dark times of live music. (5/5)

Sigur Ros - At first, i wasnt too keen on the stripped back approach, i thought imminently it was a bad idea, there was no way they could recreate the magic their live sets had when i saw them a few years ago when they had the full works going on. Of course by the end of it they proved me wrong and blew it out the water as always. How come Jonsi doesn't get much praise for his guitar work? i mean i know hes not doing anything technically brilliant but the sheer sound he gets out of it and how hes able to bass an entire band around that bow guitar is nothing short of genius! (5/5) The only other thing you can say about Sigur Ros is, and this may be biased, but when you talk about the greatest bands of all time, ya Beatles, Bowie, Prince, Radiohead etc. surely Sigur Ros have to be up there? I honestly don't know a popular music band who is able to pull out such emotion from so many places be it fear, sadness, optimism..i am always FEELING stuff from their songs, and they are ALWAYS beautiful. I am not saying they are the best band to ever walk to earth but in terms of artists that came from the 00s Sigur Ros has to be one of the leading lights and i would not feel uncomfortable if someone named them in their top 10 greatest artists...my op not yours x

London Crowd (0/5) SHUT THE F UP!!!!!!!!

Had a great day yesterday... a nice, chilled way to end the week. The talking amongst the crowd did wind me up a bit but most London day festival crowds seem to be like this so we just get as close to the front as possible (which was fortunately quite easy to do yesterday)!

Battles smashed it, really good set! Sigur Ros were outstanding... E-Bow in particular was something else!