NME's top 10 headliners of the century...

LeeGalvin

I only caught a few of the arctic monkeys songs in 2007 but I thought they were awful, confirmed when I watched the beebs coverage, rabbits caught in headlights.

as for Beyoncé, not there in person but she was terrible in what was shown on the tv, the backing singers did most of the singing as she was too busy dancing like an epileptic and yelling hello Glaston-berry!

16 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

Christ Arctic Monkeys above Arcade Fire?!

Beyonce 3rd and higher than the Stones?!

And surely in 40 year old festival, there should be at least one band from before 2000 that makes the top 10?! (Obvious stand out to me Pulp)

It was headline acts of this century not all time

No complaints with Muse being number 1 over here, I mean how can you? They closed with the greatest riff off of the greatest album of the century 

Spoiler

Drones

Edited by jonodillieono

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That Dom Howard thing is so sad. Poor bugger.

Have you not heard that before? Apparently they played Guiding Light in tribute to him in 2010. I thought it was shit when they played it, but knowing the reason behind it I understood it.

It's such a horrible thing to think about, though. Regardless of what you think of Muse, that 04 set was probably the most career-defining set they've ever played, and to come away from that and find your dad had died during it; I don't even know what I'd be thinking.

Imagine having a brain that thinks muse would ever rank above david bowie in anything, let alone pyramid headline sets. Amazing really.

Beyonce better than radiohead!

Jay Z included, Stevie Wonder excluded!

The only saving grace is no mention of any of coldplays 3 sets :sarcastic:And the best thing is I bet they have read that list and are absolutely fuming about it. "B-b-b-but we really get the festival!"

I don't agree with their list really..... 

If they are talking Pyramid only my favourite I have seen would be the Stones, followed by Muse in 2010 and Stevie Wonder the same year.

Overall headliners on any stage Chic clearly number one by a mile for me, followed by Stones, then SFA last year.

Thanks to all on here that suggested SFA songs to listen to and got me into them, I would have been stuck with not a lot to do on the Friday night last year were it not for them!

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Have you not heard that before? Apparently they played Guiding Light in tribute to him in 2010. I thought it was shit when they played it, but knowing the reason behind it I understood it.

It's such a horrible thing to think about, though. Regardless of what you think of Muse, that 04 set was probably the most career-defining set they've ever played, and to come away from that and find your dad had died during it; I don't even know what I'd be thinking.

Yeah I had heard it before but for the reasons you said it's just crushingly sad every time I re-read it. Ecstasy to agony in minutes.

Well its all subjective, and I certainly didn't even see many of those on the list, but I did see Beyoncé and would rate her as the least impressive of all the headliners I have seen - I found her show far too slick and overproduced, it could have been in Vegas. #3...?!!

Personally, I loved U2. I'm a big Springsteen fan and although it was not his greatest night, it was still very special for me. Neil Young and Metallica were also excellent.

I watched the Beyonce set a few weeks back, and the first half hour is sensational.

It does peter out a bit in the mid-stretch due to an influx of ballads and covers of atrocious originals, but rallies round again by the time she get's to the Destiny's Child section.

But that opening stretch is world-beating stuff. So I glad I was there for that bit.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I watched the Beyonce set a few weeks back, and the first half hour is sensational.

It does peter out a bit in the mid-stretch due to an influx of ballads and covers of atrocious originals, but rallies round again by the time she get's to the Destiny's Child section.

But that opening stretch is world-beating stuff. So I glad I was there for that bit.

What was good about Sunday 2011 was; there was a genuine mix of stuff to find for the headliners.

I was at QOTSA, but:

Beyonce, The Streets, Kool and The Gang, Gruff Rhys and Pete Tong were headlining around the site.

A proper quality mix. I want sunday 2016 to be as good as that, something for everyone there really.

Loved the Sunday in 2011

i was driving back on the Monday so took it easy

watched the start of Beyoncé walked round to other for a bit of QOTSA, then west Holts for Kool and the gang and finished with Suzanne Vega on the acoustic

great finish to the festival