Screens at West Holts?

LeeGalvin

This may have been something talked about at great lengths many times on here before, so apologies if that's the case...

But why aren't there any screens at WH? Or is that an unpopular suggestion? In 2014 for The Wailers I was about halfway back and even though I loved the sound and the whole vibe of the place, I couldn't see a bloody thing. WH attracts pretty huge crowds, so a screen or 2 makes perfect sense to me... or am I missing the point?

Maybe they just don't have the budget for screens, as well as attracting the bands they do. I agree to some extent, though. I've seen a few acts there when the field has been packed and we ended up right at the back, and the atmosphere has been lacking. Being able to see what was happening certainly would've helped. 

Not sure that the field size really requires it? Remember that until relatively recently (can't remember the exact year it changed but I'm guessing about 3-4 years ago?) you didn't even have screens at the Other Stage and that field is about 3 times the size.

I've been right at the back of the field many times and never noticed it as being an issue. I think it's the kind of thing that will come eventually as the technology gets ever cheaper, but there's no pressing need right now.

I find that I like the fact that it doesn't have screens in that people exclusively watch the stage. It's a very genuine stage, as I find screens a slight interence of seeing an act in its flesh.

Watching a screen is almost an indirect performance.

Yes on massive stages they aid the viewer to see what's going on from 80+ meters back, but on a stage that's 'relatively small' and smallish area you screens might appear a bit too overkill.

I'd maybe consider one screen for the back of the sound desk, that really gets in the way for the bigger crowds/headliners unless you want to go back further and not be in the crowd as such.

Maybe even more the sound desk back a bit? It does seem rather close compared to other stages/festivals? Its just right in the way with its size/where it is.

On sunny days the field can be pretty full regardless of who's on, but more likely just people lazing around as it's a decent central spot with good food options and more often than not top-notch 'background' music.

But it's that sort of laidback r'n'r vibe that saw the place empty out when the rain came on on the Friday of this year, meaning that Marcos Valle was playing to an empty field.

Oh sure yeah but thats the Brothers Bar more than the band. No need for a screen in that case. Field can still be busy at 2am when Brothers drop the tunes.

Last year I saw an ambulance come and scoop some unconscious lad off the floor as everyone else danced about paying no attention to it. Committed cider drinkers that lot.

Edited by The Nal

The no screens thing at West Holts doesn't usually bother me; a lot of the time, it's not particularly busy and I like the vibe of it being a mini festival of its own within the festival.  It's quite similar to the main stage at smaller, local festivals and they tend not to have screens.

However, it was a bit annoying during FKA Twigs' performance this year.  That was very visual but a lot of our party couldn't really see what was going on.  Screens would have been handy then but I suppose the occasional visual performance doesn't really warrant the cost.

I would like screens so when I'm walking past or eating food around the back I can see as well as hear the acts. 

The stage is filmed for BBC anyway isn't it? if so putting a couple of medium sized screens shouldn't be too much hassle. 

28 minutes ago, morph100 said:

I would like screens so when I'm walking past or eating food around the back I can see as well as hear the acts. 

The stage is filmed for BBC anyway isn't it? if so putting a couple of medium sized screens shouldn't be too much hassle. 

I'm pretty sure the Beeb only film the acts they want to film, and not every act.