Best Albums of 2015

eagles69

10 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Yes. Really good album all the way through. Reminds me very much of Arcade Fire. In fact don't think I would have gotten into it so easily without previously listening to Arcade Fire.

Based on this I've just had a quick listen... and I like what I hear! So thanks to you both.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/8/2015 at 7:13 PM, Zac Quinn said:

Yo if you can give Meghan Trainor three stars you need to listen to Chvrches' new thing. Best pop album in years.

This is worse than comparing Charli XCX/Marina and the Diamonds to Carly Rae and T Swiz. Good lord.

A complete insult to Chvrches

18 hours ago, LondonTom said:

This is worse than comparing Charli XCX/Marina and the Diamonds to Carly Rae and T Swiz. Good lord.

A complete insult to Chvrches

What? No. I was just saying that if you don't regard yourself as 'above' listening to pop music you should welcome the new Chvrches record into your life cos it's the best pop album produced this year. Not putting Meghan Trainor on a level with Chvrches, agree that would be silly. :) 

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

What? No. I was just saying that if you don't regard yourself as 'above' listening to pop music you should welcome the new Chvrches record into your life cos it's the best pop album produced this year. Not putting Meghan Trainor on a level with Chvrches, agree that would be silly. :) 

Chvrches new album isn't even as good as Chvrches first album - never mind anything else

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Chvrches new album isn't even as good as Chvrches first album - never mind anything else

Really? I'm surprised with this opinion, I liked Chvrches first album, but this was really good, it really is the best pop record I've heard in a long long time 

But each to their own 

I'm with Floorfiller on this one and was surprised to see people think otherwise. The second Chvrches album felt pretty middling and just urged me to listen to the first one again, and that's probably had more listens since Every Open Eye was released. But yeah it's cool that there are people out there that do appreciate it.

the second album to me just sounded like more of the same except the thrill of hearing that sound for the first time was gone, and i just don't think the songs were as strong this time round. nothing on there as good as The Mother We Share, We Sink, Night Sky etc, and i'm with dental in that it just made me want to listen to the first one again

7 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Oh ok, but Spotify has assured me its not pop and in fact Indietronica :P 

5 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Incorrect

Agreed!

I've started to quite like Martin on the 2nd album, I think its filled them out a bit live to (as 2nd albums usually do to bands I guess :P).

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

the second album to me just sounded like more of the same except the thrill of hearing that sound for the first time was gone, and i just don't think the songs were as strong this time round. nothing on there as good as The Mother We Share, We Sink, Night Sky etc, and i'm with dental in that it just made me want to listen to the first one again

Bury It/Make Them Gold/Clearest Blue beat anything on the 1st album imo

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm in the same mindset as this. Bones disappointed me at first because of the pretty 18 months of hype that preceded it, but it really does hold up as a great listen, songs on the new one just aren't as good.

1. Trust Fund - No One’s Coming For Us

2. Trust Fund - Seems Unfair

3. Susanne Sundfor - Ten Love Songs

4. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

5. Vince Staples - Summertime ’06

6. Bjork - Vulnicura 

7. Grimes - Art Angels 

8. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

9. Ought - Sun Coming Down

10. Evans the Death - Expect Delays

Will probably change my mind. 

Edited by bocumaroy

On 08/12/2015 at 3:25 PM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Top albums for me this year ;

Belle & Sebastian      - Girls in Peacetime want to Dance
The Charlatans         - Modern Nature    
Courtney Barnett      - Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit
The Cribs                  - For All My sisters
Drenge                      - Undertow
Ghost Culture           - Ghost Culture    
Jape                          - The Chemical Sea
King Gizzard             - Paper mache dream balloon
Miley Cyrus               - Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz
Modest Mouse          - Stranger to Ourselves
Ought                        - Sun Coming Down
Paul Weller                - Saturns Pattern
Royal Headache `      - High
Siskiyou                      - Nervous
Sleater-Kinney            - No Cities to Love
Sufjan Stevens            - Carrie & Lowell
Tame Impala               - Currents
Titus Andronicus          - The Most Lamentable Tragedy 
Vince Staples               - Summertime 06
Wolf Alice                     - My Love is Cool

I've upvoted you solely on the basis of your layout.

44 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

I dont get the wolf alice album fuss. I loved their early EPs but was not sold on their album at all. 

Yeah I'm the same. As you say the EPs are great and showed a lot of promise but the album seemed a bit underwhelming. Giant Peach is really good but apart from that and maybe a couple of other songs I don't think there's anything on it as good as the EPs. It was strange to leave Moaning Lisa Smile, one of their best songs, off the UK version of the album too.