Mini Mansions - The Great Pretenders
Peace - Happy People
Drenge - Undertow

White Men Are Black Men Too

The Magic Whip

Compton

Uptown Special 

Courteney Barnetts 2nd album.

To be fair it's slim pickings for albums Ive listened too regularly that were released this year. Just had a quick spy on last.fm and most new releases passed me by.

Compton was way better than Butterfly though, Dre had no right to release an album that good. And i love that Anderson Pak who's on it.

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

A fan, or a recent convert to Oli's genius, kc (not that the two are mutually exclusive, obviously)?

Ben

I only listened to it since it was so high in a Drowned in Sound list of best albums of the year so far in June or something, so very much a recent convert! I went into it not really knowing much about it but I really enjoyed it and it's one that I keep going back to a lot. I've not got round to checking out any of his other stuff but looking at his bandcamp there's quite a lot of stuff on there. Any suggestions as to what to go for next?

13 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I only listened to it since it was so high in a Drowned in Sound list of best albums of the year so far in June or something, so very much a recent convert! I went into it not really knowing much about it but I really enjoyed it and it's one that I keep going back to a lot. I've not got round to checking out any of his other stuff but looking at his bandcamp there's quite a lot of stuff on there. Any suggestions as to what to go for next?

He's become slightly less droney and incorporated more percussion/beats over the last couple of years. I like both sides of his stuff. Just as an hors d'oeuvre, listen to Canute from his debut, Haeligewielle. Listen in headphones if you can, and bask in the bliss of the drones that swell and build to a wall of sonic magnificence! It's like Steve McQueen emerging into the light after a month in the cooler. Ugh.

If you like that, then listen to all of the first LP. I think it's wonderful. Mima, the LP previous to Flailing Tomb is similarly 'accessible' to its successor.

Let me know what you think of Canute. It got me hooked onto Petrels.

Ben

On 24 November 2015 at 19:35:42, FloorFiller said:

only just got round to giving that Tobias Jesso Jr album a proper listen after having it downloaded since it's release. bloody fantastic isn't it? can definitely see it entering my top ten after a few listens. wish i'd given it a listen sooner

On 25 November 2015 at 12:56:41, scrippit said:

Thank you for Tobias Jesso Jr - loving it!

Ayyyy. Between that and writing the best song on 25 he's had a decent old year. Sad he wasn't booked for Glasters 2015, would've been great for a Sunday swaying session.

17 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Hot Chip, Tobias Jesso Jr, Chvrches, Bill Ryder Jones, The Maccabees, Everything Everything and El Vy's records have all been on repeat for me this year.

How did I forget Get To Heaven :o Ashamed of myself.

Resubmitting my top five as Chvrches, EE, Kendrick, Tobias JJ and Bleachers.

Edited by Zac Quinn

On 26/11/2015, 14:54:04, not worthy said:

Ezra Furman - Perpetual Motion People

Alot of others this year but this has something raw, refreshing and so far from mainstream

Give it a go

It's a great album (can't choose between it ofr Father John Misty for best album this year). Saw Ezra last month in Bristol - flipping fantastic. Hope he's at Glasto, he is back over next year for more dates I beleive.