ME this evening

jackmca

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very expectant (and hopeful) that ELO will play, but I'd be surprised if they fill the Legend slot. I see Jeff's re-launch of "brand ELO" along more of a 'fabulous-and-still-as-relevant-as-ever' thing, whereas the Legend is usually one playing on past glories, no?

So I'm still thinking ME would consider Elton to be a 'best-ever' legend for next yr. I bet Brown Dirt Cowboy and Yellow Brick Road have seen a fair few spins in Eavis Towers over the decades.

9 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

a bigger legend than Dolly?!

Popular though he is, WrongBazza doesn't feel bigger than Dolly.

ELO tickets went like hotcakes last week, but given that the legend slot is mostly a 'cult of personality' affair, they're probably just a tad anonymous to be the total slamdunk that Meavis is hinting at.

33 minutes ago, billum said:

I'm very expectant (and hopeful) that ELO will play, but I'd be surprised if they fill the Legend slot. I see Jeff's re-launch of "brand ELO" along more of a 'fabulous-and-still-as-relevant-as-ever' thing, whereas the Legend is usually one playing on past glories, no?

So I'm still thinking ME would consider Elton to be a 'best-ever' legend for next yr. I bet Brown Dirt Cowboy and Yellow Brick Road have seen a fair few spins in Eavis Towers over the decades.

Elton is the only candidate where Michael could not be talking bollocks about the "best-ever" legend.  So that's him pretty much ruled out then ;)

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Unless it's Bowie or someone else who should headline

Who though? Paul McCartney, Bowie or ???

We have enough trouble speculating over potential headliners every year without restricting the selection down to solo artists.  It's probably just Michael getting excited and it's Billy Joel or #wrongbazza or someone else not as good/big as previous legends.

Well that's perfect - they could come on together and alternate songs. Might as well throw in a few old classics while they're there, and get their mate Nick in on to drum for a couple... Maybe it'd be all so subtle that no-one would notice what a momentous thing had just happened.

3 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Has anyone considered Gilmour for the legends slot?

He has had his album out and been touring.... would make sense to me. I can see it being either him or Waters apparently Waters has another album out next year.

I doubt he'd even consider playing the festival after they bluntly turned down his close friend's dying wish to play

Hmm. Suspect the comparisons between T in the Park and Glastonbury are a little way off. The pipeline that runs below the ground at the former TITP site at Balado is a huge line running raw oil from The Forties in the North Sea to the Grangemouth processing plant. The Health and Safety Executive had for years been expressing concern that in the event of the pipeline exploding there could potentially be a lot of casualties. (Proper casualties as opposed to festival casualties.)

Never heard any sort of similar concerns coming from the Heath and Safety Executive with regards to Glastonbury and so therefore I can only conclude that the talk of moving the site because of this is complete and utter jibberjabber.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Who though? Paul McCartney, Bowie or ???

We have enough trouble speculating over potential headliners every year without restricting the selection down to solo artists.  It's probably just Michael getting excited and it's Billy Joel or #wrongbazza or someone else not as good/big as previous legends.

It's worth remembering this....

How many times have you heard a promoter say "this year we've got an average act. They're OK, but they're not my favourite".

:P

3 hours ago, LeeGalvin said:

Maybe Michael REALLY loves Phil Collins?

:lol:

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Gas pipe feeds Shepton I'd guess. I wonder what the site "20 miles from Glastonbury" is, and in which direction from Glastonbury? There are a few landowners that hold festivals not far from the current site at Worthy - wonder if they've said they've got 1,200 acres to spare...

I guess there's a database of landownership data that someone (?) round here might have access to, and that there wouldn't be many bits of land under single ownership of that size within 20 miles of Pilton, so perhaps might be easy to suss out.

I think it's unlikely they'd want to use an alternative site which wasn't in single ownership, as that creates all of the same issues that have grown up at Pilton over time.

The biggest problem for a move would, I think, be the licencing aspects. It probably would be the certain end of Glastonbury as a 24 hour festival.