ME this evening

jackmca

So got talking to ME himself and he answered a few questions at the talk.

As far as acts, he kept tight lipped but when asked about a few he was quiet open to the idea of ELO and said he always wanted The Stone Roses to play since he seen them in Manchester last time they played.
Also when asked about Fleetwood Mac he said they're too expensive costing nearly £4m but said we might see them in 2017. When asked about the headliners for next year he said he got his first choices and was happy to have them secure unlike last year with the whole mess with the Foos and The Who. He also mentioned the the 'Legend' on the Sunday is in his opinion the best he has got. 

He was also asked about the possibility of the festival site being moved and he said that there is a possibility but hopes it doesn't happen and it is down to the gas pipes under the festival, same as the craic with T in The Park. He then went on to say many times that he has an excellent site ready if it happens writhing 20 miles of Glastonbury.

He was also asked about his favourite act but he insisted he couldn't say but he really really liked Radiohead in '97. 

He also spoke briefly about JayZ Kanye and Noel Gallagher 

It was recorded and will be put on YouTube. I'll link it as soon as its up

£32m it costs to run the festival and he has a cap of £500,000 for headliners just incase anyone is interested. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

That's defintely interesting 

I wonder who Michael would consider his first choice headliner, and who the hell could be the best legend slot ever?

Not reading too much into that as there's not a lot to go on, ELO must look good, especially with being on tour too

these are such abstract concepts coming from him that it'll drive you crazy trying to work it out.

His first choice can only mean first choice out of what was possible. Obviously FM are his first choice. Then there is what is possible from other festivals already booking first. So it means nowt really.

25 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I wonder who Michael would consider his first choice headliner, and who the hell could be the best legend slot ever?

Trying to look through ME's peepers I'm thinking the legend slots's gotta be Elton

(and yes really now sounds like ELO's a shoo-in)

Edited by billum

13 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How does anything said make Elton likely? What am I missing here?

I assume where he mentions the Sunday legend being "in his opinion the best he has got" may have been taken to mean the actual biggest appropriate legend slot booking regardless of his opinion; Elton, despite being ridiculously overqualified.

Though obviously, he hasn't even bigged it up really. He's just saying that the act is the best he has booked in his opinion so he might be a really big fan of whoever it is. Can certainly see him being a big ELO fan. Manilow fan? I don't know. :P

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, jackmca said:

He then went on to say many times that he has an excellent site ready if it happens writhing 20 miles of Glastonbury.

The proposed site is already writhing? How will we cope? lol

In all seriousness I think you can count me out if the festival moves. It's that natural amitheatre or nothing.

What's the score with the gas pipe? I didn't even know there was one there.

2 hours ago, jackmca said:
He was also asked about the possibility of the festival site being moved and he said that there is a possibility but hopes it doesn't happen and it is down to the gas pipes under the festival, same as the craic with T in The Park. He then went on to say many times that he has an excellent site ready if it happens writhing 20 miles of Glastonbury.

Wonder if it follows the ley lines? :P

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

In all seriousness I think you can count me out if the festival moves. It's that natural amitheatre or nothing.

Been trying to look online, and the map I looked at , it looks like its further east of the site...bit odd that reasoning but interesting all the same.

Edited by LondonTom

Thanks Jackmca.

I'm probably reading this wrong - I usually am - but could:

"He also mentioned the the 'Legend' on the Sunday is in his opinion the best he has got"

...also mean:

"..the 'Legend' on the Sunday the best I could've got (given who was available)"?

Semantics, I know. But then its an opinion based on Jackmca's interpretation.

52 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

he said that every year they have to turn the pressure of the pipes down during the weekend as it could be harmful if they werent. dont really know much about that sort of thing so... 

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Thanks Jackmca.

I'm probably reading this wrong - I usually am - but could:

"He also mentioned the the 'Legend' on the Sunday is in his opinion the best he has got"

...also mean:

"..the 'Legend' on the Sunday the best I could've got (given who was available)"?

Semantics, I know. But then its an opinion based on Jackmca's interpretation.

that could be true but he did seem to say that it was the best they have got ever to date. 

i would be very surprised if this is true.

19 minutes ago, jackmca said:

he said that every year they have to turn the pressure of the pipes down during the weekend as it could be harmful if they werent. dont really know much about that sort of thing so... 

Thanks for the info jackmca. I can't see how the inert pipework could be affected by the visitors to the site. Maybe it's not within the law / regulations to have that many number of people above such a 'potential' health and safety hazard? I mean, imagine if them bastard killer badgers just carried on digging and went through the pipework one late summers evening towards the end of June.

In June at the Q&A in the Green Fields he said there was no way it was moving and all the disputes had been resolved. Kind-of anyway. You will never get a plain, straight answer from ME.

We get what we are given, and it rarely disappoints.

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's no gas in the village

6 hours ago, jackmca said:

that could be true but he did seem to say that it was the best they have got ever to date. 

i would be very surprised if this is true.

He must mean it's an improvement on recent legends like dolly and Lionel, which isn't that hard really.

It's not likely to be anyone better than Brian Wilson, Johnny cash or Macy gray

I've just looked at The National Grid's in house magazine for 2010 which has an article about the Glastonbury festival within it. It says;

“In the case of the pipeline, one of our
technicians will visit prior to the start of
the festival to mark out a 10m exclusion
zone. Marquee pegs can penetrate up to one
metre into the ground, and therefore only
small tents are allowed in this area. One of
our representatives will also supervise the
erection of the superfortress perimeter fence
where it crosses the pipeline.”

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've just looked at The National Grid's in house magazine for 2010 which has an article about the Glastonbury festival within it. It says;

“In the case of the pipeline, one of our
technicians will visit prior to the start of
the festival to mark out a 10m exclusion
zone. Marquee pegs can penetrate up to one
metre into the ground, and therefore only
small tents are allowed in this area. One of
our representatives will also supervise the
erection of the superfortress perimeter fence
where it crosses the pipeline.”

I get involved with approving work relating to underground utilities stuff on a daily basis at work, Yog. There's a whole raft of regs about breaking ground, GPRS, Underground Service Officers / detection, digs near live services, loads above ground on below ground services. It's a fucking nightmare.

But that above seems pretty standard. I expect the area would be scanned first too.

Funny how at work I'm conscious of all this stuff, yet it never crossed my mind relating to putting on Glasto each time. I expect it costs the festival a fair bit to have this done independantly too.