GF will never have massive bands like Zep/Floyd/ACDC ever again.

Cooter

I'd be extremely surprised to be honest. The last massive ones were the Stones and U2 and neither did the festival or themselves proud and from what I understand they gathered very few fans from the tv performances or even from the festival itself. I know there are exceptions like Stevie etc but generally speaking it's a no from me. Why would they do it? Especially with the weather risk, the lack of payment, stage and production limitations, and not to forget that they are rich already. I bet Mick and Bonio wish they hadn't done it.

I for one won't be disappointed, Glastonbury is for the up and coming big bands, not billionaire celebs that made it 30 or 40 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I'd be extremely surprised to be honest. The last massive ones were the Stones and U2 and neither did the festival or themselves proud and from what I understand they gathered very few fans from the tv performances or even from the festival itself. I know there are exceptions like Stevie etc but generally speaking it's a no from me. Why would they do it? Especially with the weather risk, the lack of payment, stage and production limitations, and not to forget that they are rich already. I bet Mick and Bonio wish they hadn't done it.

I for one won't be disappointed, Glastonbury is for the up and coming big bands, not billionaire celebs that made it 30 or 40 years ago.

I thought the Rolling Stones were superb u2 not so much (weather didn't help mind) but the stones really got what the festival was about, wasn't really sure what to expect from them but the stones won me over with their performance, paint it black and sympathy for the devil have gave me goosebumps everytime Ive heard them since

there just arent the mega bands around nowaday old son its just a fact of life after 20 years of dance music and music just being done by a DJ thats wot you get ............and yea led zep / floyd will not be touring festis no more just cos the stones can keep going and prob will do till there all 100 doesnt mean all bands can or even want to OR need too lets face it everyone one wants to retire at some point DONT they lol

mind you saying that theres alway PEARL JAM beats AC/DC hands down ...true

15 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The Stones were simply stunning and anyone who was there and thinks otherwise needs to have a word with themselves. 

Indeed. Glorious, glorious scenes. And the sound where I was standing was off the hook. Superb all round. The crowd singing the Satisfaction riff back at the band will live with me forever. As will the ceiling of red smoke that happened during Sympathy for the Devil. As surreal as Ive ever seen. U2 were good for the first 20 minutes but the rain was a disaster and the some of the odd setlist choices didn't help.

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was just behind the barrier and the sound was awesome. From Gimme Shelter onwards will live with me forever. I dunno why but pre-Gimme shelter it just seemed ok to me. Possibly down to me rather than the band though. 

They've never played Jumpin Jack Flash well live. Without that intro its not the same. And they play it too slow. Only Rock and Roll is Stones by numbers. Paint it Black started lighting the place up and then yeah... Gimme Shelter!

Seems this is what Ill be watching this evening so! While trying to hide the fact theres an Adele special on from the missus. Hopefully Ill just get away with recording it for her for tomorrow.

"errr theres nothing on telly tonight I already checked".

Edited by The Nal

Stones were fantastic, watched it again on the telly and the sound was dreadful so perhaps it was where you were standing?

Anywho, not sure who the next Mega Band might be? AC/DC are probably the only possibles but they seem to be able to play huge stadium shows on their own and don't seem interested in playing? Prince, if he ever gets over the paranoia that Glastonbury is selling out every year just on the off chance that his purpleness might be on the bill. Unlikely.

Who else is there?

Truth is, there really isn't anyone anywhere near the size of Zep/Floyd nowadays which I think is just more a sign of the times (as the Mauve Member might put it) as anything else?