The Last Shadow Puppets

silkworm

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've been thinking Arctics will headline again next year, though I won't make the mistake of seeing them again.

seems far too soon. i know Coldplay did it twice in the space of like three years but i don't think Arctics quite have that association with the festival, although where they will headline come the next album is a good question. wonder if it'll even be ready for next year - i doubt they're in any rush

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange what has happened to him. I seen AM at TITP in 2011 and he was normal as far as I remember. 2 years later at Glastonbury he was morphing into Elvis. He is even worse now. His music is still great though. I would argue that TLSP albums stand up to most AM albums as well. There's just something between him and Miles Kane that clicks in the studio.

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

It's strange what has happened to him. I seen AM at TITP in 2011 and he was normal as far as I remember. 2 years later at Glastonbury he was morphing into Elvis. He is even worse now. His music is still great though. I would argue that TLSP albums stand up to most AM albums as well. There's just something between him and Miles Kane that clicks in the studio.

I was at that TITP show. It was right at the beginning of the Suck it and See tour. A few months later he got the quiff, and the rest is history...

I give him kudos for showmanship.  I think he is trying to form a unique style like Jagger or Bowie and in order to do that he is throwing in massive exaggeration.  It kinda doesn't come to him naturally and i think it shows, but you can;t fault him for style.

I think he is the best British singer/songwriter of his era. Not quite the best in the world while Jack still draws breath.

3 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I was at that TITP show. It was right at the beginning of the Suck it and See tour. A few months later he got the quiff, and the rest is history...

Aye, bugger knows why he thought it would be a good idea.

They're long overdue an appearance at IOW. V will probably book them if they can, and TITP will book them because they haven't played there since 2014.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

seems far too soon. i know Coldplay did it twice in the space of like three years but i don't think Arctics quite have that association with the festival, although where they will headline come the next album is a good question. wonder if it'll even be ready for next year - i doubt they're in any rush

I don't really believe in a 'too soon' for major festivals that goes beyond about two years anymore. They want the biggest bands regardless of how recent or how many times they've played and I don't think Glastonbury are an exception. Plus the Eavises constantly talk about how few bands can headline Glastonbury so - at a point where Arctics look set to graduate into becoming one of the world's biggest bands - I'm sure they'd love to have them back and the feeling would be mutual.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't really believe in a 'too soon' for major festivals that goes beyond about two years anymore. They want the biggest bands regardless of how recent or how many times they've played and I don't think Glastonbury are an exception. Plus the Eavises constantly talk about how few bands can headline Glastonbury so - at a point where Arctics look set to graduate into becoming one of the world's biggest bands - I'm sure they'd love to have them back and the feeling would be mutual.

when Glastonbury (we're assuming) can afford to throw headliner bands like Radiohead in to sub slots then i don't think they have any problem finding headliners. can think of many more acts who haven't already headlined in the past four years who would make more sense to book than Arctics again. i hope so anyway - we don't need another house band to worry about every four years

Edited by FloorFiller

God just watched that big weekend gig and what is Alex doing? I always thought Miles was the cocky one but he's always been professional when it comes to the performances. Alex just looks like he'd rather be elsewhere - well he's obviously on another planet but y'know.

Maybe i'm not as down with the kids as i used to be, but aren't the Arctic Monkeys one of the biggest bands in the world? i mean, i know they are not big enough douchebags to reach the heady heights of Coldplay and U2 but surely you can discount them as droning mass entertainment conglomerates, rather than bands? Its like the X factor escaped and mated with The Voice and had a baby that grew up to be Coldplay.

Edited by Abensie

Just now, Abensie said:

Maybe i'm not as down with the kids as i used to be, but aren't the Arctic Monkeys one of the worlds biggest bands in the world? i mean, i know they are not big enough douchebags to reach the heady heights of Coldplay and U2 but surely you can discount them as droning mass entertainment conglomerates, rather than bands? Its like the X factor escaped and mated with The Voice and had a baby that grew up to be Coldplay.

i don't think a single person has called them mass entertainment or anything of the sort? in fact people are praising their progressively better music despite Alex Turner being a bit of a tit. but no, they're not one of the biggest bands in the world. they're big, especially in the UK, but they haven't quite conquered the rest of the world just yet

I wasn't saying that the AM are mass entertainment!! Far from it. 

I'm saying that the so called biggest bands/acts in the world can be discounted on the grounds that they are largely middle-of-the-road crap.

The Arctic Monkeys are brilliant and Turner is a genius and i would be buzzing if they were playing rather than Coldplay as i went to see them at Hyde Park and the sound (and crowd) were so bad i never got to see them do anything off AM decently. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

when Glastonbury (we're assuming) can afford to throw headliner bands like Radiohead in to sub slots then i don't think they have any problem finding headliners. can think of many more acts who haven't already headlined in the past three years who would make more sense to book than Arctics again. i hope so anyway - we don't need another house band to worry about every four years

I don't think that Radiohead throwing in a non-headline performance means that they have headliners coming out of their ears every year. They probably could find a lot more headliners but as for safe, huge, willing headliners then Arctic Monkeys on their next album is a no-brainer. They're gonna be a house band whether we like it or not.

3 minutes ago, Abensie said:

Maybe i'm not as down with the kids as i used to be, but aren't the Arctic Monkeys one of the worlds biggest bands in the world? i mean, i know they are not big enough douchebags to reach the heady heights of Coldplay and U2 but surely you can discount them as droning mass entertainment conglomerates, rather than bands? Its like the X factor escaped and mated with The Voice and had a baby that grew up to be Coldplay.

I dunno what you just wrote but they've grown at a much slower rate in the rest of the world compared to the overnight success in the UK, and only really properly cracked America on their last album, so the next album is where they will claim on that and headline shit like Coachella and sell out a few nights at Madison Square Gardens and other markers of Stateside success.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think that Radiohead throwing in a non-headline performance means that they have headliners coming out of their ears every year. They probably could find a lot more headliners but as for safe, huge, willing headliners then Arctic Monkeys on their next album is a no-brainer. They're gonna be a house band whether we like it or not.

i duno. even Coldplay had another album in between their two appearances this time round. i know Arctics headlined before the album was released, but i just can't see them returning with only one more albums worth of material to perform before there's even another fallow year. like was said above, i think TITP, R/L and V will be the ones jumping at them, as they're clearly the festivals that are struggling, not Glastonbury

You've got to organise and book a big festival, loads of expectations, media attention etc. You're asking folks to pay up front, no names. You can only book who's available on that specific year. You get offered coldplay and/or muse. Do you really turn them down?

I may be a little late to the party on this one, but thought I would share my opinion anyway. I watched alex today at big weekend or whatever and sure he's all over place and on the occasional interview maybe on the extravagant side but I feel that now with the new direction his music is heading, a change of style was needed too. Between the albums, the genre has changed significantly and I think he's matched the personality to go with it, I mean would adidas tracksuits, suit the AM album? Also, since when was it such a criminal to have a bit of showmanship without then becoming a total tit in the process, must have missed that one..

I don't think we'll see AM at the farm for a long time, mainly due to timings. Definitely cannot see them releasing anything this year, back end of 2017 seems more likely, so they'll be doing festivals and stadia in 2018 which is the fallow year anyway. They might have finished by 2019 so you'd have to wait until the next album after that for them to return.

Personally I would evoke some sort of rule that states an artist has to have three albums of new material between headline sets.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think we'll see AM at the farm for a long time, mainly due to timings. Definitely cannot see them releasing anything this year, back end of 2017 seems more likely, so they'll be doing festivals and stadia in 2018 which is the fallow year anyway. They might have finished by 2019 so you'd have to wait until the next album after that for them to return.

Personally I would evoke some sort of rule that states an artist has to have three albums of new material between headline sets.

Isn't it pretty much like that for headliners anyway, apart from Coldplay?

I think I probably prefer the Shakin' Stevens version to the Van McCann one.

9 hours ago, Mardy said:

You've got to organise and book a big festival, loads of expectations, media attention etc. You're asking folks to pay up front, no names. You can only book who's available on that specific year. You get offered coldplay and/or muse. Do you really turn them down?

You don't,  no.

And I can see those two from Kasabian taking advantage to sueeze themselves onto the roster.

34 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Jesus christ I'll take a Mumford return before that.

Seriously? That Mumford set was so dull. Kasabian whilst their music isn't that great (with the exception of the debut) know how to get people moving. I do agree it's too soon for them to return, but they did well enough to justify a return for sure. 

Edited by reflekting

Absolutely no idea why anyone would worry about AM or Kasabian being booked next year. They have enough options to not have to resort to them returning for a while. Coldplay are an exception. Its been 6 years for Muse, even if most of us don't want them.