The Elephant in the Room.

Wooderson

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:
Just now, Slugworth said:

I fully support Anonymous and i believe they have the resources to cause havoc, but what exactly have they done apart from take down a few propaganda websites?

good on them i hope they can do what they say old son

I have no idea what they can and cannot do. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting to me. I guess they can go down avenues that governments are rightly fettered from going down. I suspect these are also people who don't exactly need the name of your first pet to get in to your system.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have no idea what they can and cannot do. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting to me. I guess they can go down avenues that governments are rightly fettered from going down. I suspect these are also people who don't exactly need the name of your first pet to get in to your system.

Just had a brief look and it seems they are more than capable of taking down the IS website and the likes of. Therefore distrupting their efforts to get their messages across. 

#TeamAnonymous

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

I think I've mentioned this before but when I first arrived in Moscow, I got invited to a music festival thing, we got there, it was total fucking chaos to get tickets, big scrum basically, fought my way through got a ticket, went in through the gates. About 10 mins after we'd got in we heard some booms behind us, but you know, didn't think much of it. Had a few beers, bit confused because the running order seemed all to cock, and no-one had a mobile phone signal, but fuck it, you know, doesn't matter. When we left, after Splean had played and the event finished, we got out to find rows and fucking rows of militia and we got bussed down to another metro station.

Got back home (actually, it was hotel, I hadn't found a flat yet) to find an absolute shedload of messages and calls from the embassy and my employer. Turns out the bangs we'd heard were suicide bombers who'd detonated just outside the gates. No phone signals all day cos the govt had turned off the mobile phone towers in the area to prevent panic from those of us inside the festival

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Tushino_bombing

But you know, fuck it, what you going to do? S'alright innit? Still here. You really can't let these things stop you doing anything. 

The worry is yeah, it leads to more surveilance, more police state powers. That's what I'm more frightened of.

i remember that well...i was in Moscow on a few days up to and including the 3rd of july, day before that festie in 2003 i believe, remember reading about when i got back...

I haven't read this thread in full, but I would imagine Glastonbury would be possibly one of the least likely targets for a terrorist attack.

Its on for one weekend of the year, in the middle of nowhere with steel fence and very tight security. I would hazard a guess that the type of person who would carry out the type of attack that happened in France would probably never have even heard of Glastonbury and it wouldn't even be on their radar.

Why would they risk an attack on Glastonbury with all the necessary planning and preparation, the very real risk of getting caught in various queues getting into the festival and getting noticed as being suspicious before they even get in. Then when they do get in the won't really know what is behind the fence.

The reality is they could just attack an airport, cause a lot more death chaos and disruption, do it any day of the year and be able to plan for it about 100 times more easily too.

i dont think there that worried about getting caught in queues old son ..i think they sort of like crowds ,queues ect BUT

A like rissy has said ,,,theres no reason to worry

and

Z imo the mo we yak on about it the more some nutter may get some silly idea i there heads yea lol

31 minutes ago, Tom Wells said:

I have been thinking the same thing over the past few days.
In fact, I logged in to make a thread about it!

There's a few ways I've looked at it... How they could do it, and why they couldn't.

If they wanted to get in, they would struggle to sneak themselves in. They would have had to have registered and bought a ticket, or registered to work to get in without detection... So that would be unlikely, because their identity would be massively narrowed down already.
Their other option would be to sneak in at night. Unlikely, because they seem to be going for things that would be televised for more publicity, and (from what I've heard) security patrol the wall 24/7.
The third option is to bring dozens of people and storm the gates.

I personally think that there will be no armed security on site, but there will be some ready in case it does happen. There will be precautions taken.
However, I will be there enjoying myself the same as every other time I've been.

FUCK TERRORISM.

Or just fire an RPG over the fence.

I'm playing devils advocate btw.

Not even mentioning drones - about which I have zero technical knowledge, not my field - but not one single military establishment, as an example, in the country is impervious to attack in this manner, broadly speaking. Despite what perimeter protection they have.

Many people on efests dismiss me as a frivolous c*** (fair enough) but I do have some professional knowledge in this respect.

Edited by Woffy

2 hours ago, Tom Wells said:

The third option is to bring dozens of people and storm the gates.

I believe the current fence was designed to repel this type of attack :P

They also tend not to work in big groups to avoid you know detection (and the fact that very few people are actually up for killing themselves or other people).

12 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

i dont think there that worried about getting caught in queues old son ..i think they sort of like crowds ,queues ect BUT

A like rissy has said ,,,theres no reason to worry

and

Z imo the mo we yak on about it the more some nutter may get some silly idea i there heads yea lol

I know what you're saying, but why go to all that trouble just to blow yourself up in a queue outside? Surely if they did hit Glastonbury they would want to cause maximum impact.

This sounds flippant and I don't mean it to but they want maximum bang for buck when they carry out an attack, Glastonbury for all the associated effort would never provide that in relation to an attack on London or an Airport.

I can't help thinking - and this may have been said already - that an attack on Glasto would probably fail to have the desired universal groundswell of moral outrage, as say an attack in central London.

The right wing press and its readership would just think, "Fuck it. A few less hippies, crusties and travellers in the world".

It wouldn't sink in until later that Cressida and Binks and StJohn were there during their gap year.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎08‎:‎01‎:‎03, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know what you're saying, but why go to all that trouble just to blow yourself up in a queue outside? Surely if they did hit Glastonbury they would want to cause maximum impact.

This sounds flippant and I don't mean it to but they want maximum bang for buck when they carry out an attack, Glastonbury for all the associated effort would never provide that in relation to an attack on London or an Airport.

Unfortunately / Tragically some of the 7/7 bombers came from West Yorkshire but travelled down to London that day for that very reason