The Elephant in the Room.

Wooderson

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grew up with armed guards at the end of the road, barbed wire barricades and mirrors to check under the cars, and you just got on with it. Same as now.

As for attacking Glastonbury, surely the frustration of ticket day would have been enough to drive any extremists to kill themselves, even before the "Sold Out" sign came up?

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

But can we believe that figure? 

If the threat is there why has there not been any successful mass killing since 2005? It's absurdly easy to slaughter a few people in the middle of london. Why does it never happen? 

Well it did: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/may/22/police-respond-serious-incident-woolwich

But the terrorists are trying to make a point. Hence the co-ordinated attacks on Friday, at multiple locations at once. For right or wrong, they think that works better.

Of course, the more people involved in an attack, the more ways to find out about it before it happens by the police / security services.

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yep that's the logic I use too. After those shootings in tunisia and the egyptian plane crash, the days after those events would be the perfect time to go there for a holiday I thought. Same goes for a weekend in paris. This weekend coming will be the safest possible time to visit.

Cheaper to!

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

It must be very scary to be a Muslim in Britain, or anywhere in Europe, at the moment.  If you get on the tube, for example, how many people will be moving, uncomfortably, away from you?

Even if you did feel uncomfortable around Muslims in London, during most hours of the day, you would find it bloody hard to move down the carriage away from them!

4 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

It must be very scary to be a Muslim in Britain, or anywhere in Europe, at the moment.  If you get on the tube, for example, how many people will be moving, uncomfortably, away from you?

With 'instant' 24 hour a day TV news coverage any crowded place will be a target, so I'm quite glad to live half way up a mountain on the edge of a small village in South Wales.  But that won't stop me going to gigs and public gatherings. 

As for bands cancelling, I can understand how it must be difficult at the moment to be standing on stage shouting at the audience: "Are you having a good time?"

But that's only because the media make it plain that IS=muslim when it should be obvious to any rational person that IS is a "terrorist" organisation just as the IRA were (are), The IRA aren't christian and IS aren't muslim (not in any meaningful way). It's probably scary being a Hindu or Sikh too as most people seem to be unable to think for themselves.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It could mean more bag checks and more stringent bag checks at Glastonbury. Which would probably lead to more drugs busts.

I can't see it, unless there was specific 'intelligence' to warrant it; god, imagine the queues.....

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It could mean more bag checks and more stringent bag checks at Glastonbury. Which would probably lead to more drugs busts.

It will mean we get closer to a police state (not just at Glastonbury) and that is the intention. I suspect you could smuggle in quite a lot of explosive in a beer can if you wished to and that wouldn't be easy to detect. it isn't possible to prevent these types of acts if people are motivated enough to do them, we need to stop giving them the motivation.

Edited by gizmoman

2 minutes ago, oneeye said:

I can't see it, unless there was specific 'intelligence' to warrant it; god, imagine the queues.....

I did say 'could'. I know that Glastonbury is the big kid on the block in terms of the number of attendees but maybe they will be given no choice other than to have an increased regime of bag checking.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Well it did: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/may/22/police-respond-serious-incident-woolwich

But the terrorists are trying to make a point. Hence the co-ordinated attacks on Friday, at multiple locations at once. For right or wrong, they think that works better.

Of course, the more people involved in an attack, the more ways to find out about it before it happens by the police / security services.

Once soldier killed is not really a mass killing...

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It will mean we get closer to a police state (not just at Glastonbury) and that is the intention

There does seem to be a slow creep in that direction. It's rather galling to think that a totalitarian state could be achieved because of our own inertia.

17 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

we need to stop giving them the motivation.

It's a bit late in the day now though for that as they already have been given the motivation.

I think I've mentioned this before but when I first arrived in Moscow, I got invited to a music festival thing, we got there, it was total fucking chaos to get tickets, big scrum basically, fought my way through got a ticket, went in through the gates. About 10 mins after we'd got in we heard some booms behind us, but you know, didn't think much of it. Had a few beers, bit confused because the running order seemed all to cock, and no-one had a mobile phone signal, but fuck it, you know, doesn't matter. When we left, after Splean had played and the event finished, we got out to find rows and fucking rows of militia and we got bussed down to another metro station.

Got back home (actually, it was hotel, I hadn't found a flat yet) to find an absolute shedload of messages and calls from the embassy and my employer. Turns out the bangs we'd heard were suicide bombers who'd detonated just outside the gates. No phone signals all day cos the govt had turned off the mobile phone towers in the area to prevent panic from those of us inside the festival

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Tushino_bombing

But you know, fuck it, what you going to do? S'alright innit? Still here. You really can't let these things stop you doing anything. 

The worry is yeah, it leads to more surveilance, more police state powers. That's what I'm more frightened of.

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

But you know, fuck it, what you going to do? S'alright innit? Still here. You really can't let these things stop you doing anything. 

The worry is yeah, it leads to more surveilance, more police state powers. That's what I'm more frightened of.

Yes. This entirely. I'm old enough to have lived through the IRA bombings. If you stop doing things and going places then terrorists win. 

I think Glastonbury, though high profile, is nothing like as easy a target as, say,  ... a bus in Sheffield, the train from Sheffield to Birmingham/London/Newcastle etc tomorrow, Meadowhall, a gig at The Leadmill ...... will I stop doing any of those things? Of course not.

Will I feel a bit tense on the train tomorrow morning? In all honesty, I will. It isn't going to stop me though. 

13 minutes ago, Crystal Waters said:

Yes. This entirely. I'm old enough to have lived through the IRA bombings. If you stop doing things and going places then terrorists win. 

I think Glastonbury, though high profile, is nothing like as easy a target as, say,  ... a bus in Sheffield, the train from Sheffield to Birmingham/London/Newcastle etc tomorrow, Meadowhall, a gig at The Leadmill ...... will I stop doing any of those things? Of course not.

Will I feel a bit tense on the train tomorrow morning? In all honesty, I will. It isn't going to stop me though. 

Well said, it's worth pointing out that that the only advance threat posed so far at Glastonbury was to Suzanne Vega and she performed wearing a bulletproof vest, a fine and brave example and I suspect very few performers nowadays would do so.

shit man we cant hide from these fuckers ...[ soz swearing ] ..its a good job my daughter doesnt come on here shes worried enough .........its a bloody shame that the foos and U2 have cancelled there tours tho......could insurance have a part in this ????either way Isisisisisss fuckers have won ..