James?

EIaine

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think I read £35 - £45

Aye. I`d guess it will be the guts of £40 in Glasgow. Shame it`s back in the Hydro. It won`t sell out as Thursday this time and there were spaces on the Saturday last year. Pity it`s not in the Barra`s but will probably head along. Thought Kendal in the summer would have been my last time seeing them for a while. Their like a disease..... ;)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's worth it mate. Not many I'd pay that for these days and getting increasingly disenchanted with gig prices but they're one of the best live at the minute. More than just a nostalgia trip. 

aye it's tempting but I cant afford that sort of expense so close to christmas unfortunately, especially as the new album is unknown. I'll probably try and get one off a tout on the day, I only live down the road from brixton

the glastonbury dream is still just about alive too...

How likely is this to sell out quickly? Mrs Jass is a fan and tickets would make a good Christmas present. I'd have to wait a week until payday though.

Not likely they'll sell out in minutes is it? 

Should add I can be easy with locations, can imagine Kentish going quickly but Birmingham taking a while longer.

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

How likely is this to sell out quickly? Mrs Jass is a fan and tickets would make a good Christmas present. I'd have to wait a week until payday though.

Not likely they'll sell out in minutes is it? 

Should add I can be easy with locations, can imagine Kentish going quickly but Birmingham taking a while longer.

I think the standing ones will go pretty sharpish mate.

I honestly have no idea how they are still shifting so many tickets considering they are always playing live. Their record sales have never corresponded with the demand for them live.

I am going to get tickets on Friday (Have done a load of overtime recently, thankfully).

Would rather not go to the MEN as I have seen them there God knows how many times and it is soulless.

On 16/11/2015, 20:32:10, Mardy said:

The seasons roll by, and every year, as i hurtle through middle age to the grave the coppers look younger and younger, jammie Wagon Wheels get smaller and smaller and the annual futile James thread starts earlier and earlier

These threads have to happen. To preserve everything that James has done for modern music since their inception m8.

I paid for two tickets to see James in Birmingham and at the last minute didn't go. I also paid for two tickets to a festival specifically to see James and also didn't get there. I'm pretty fucked off with the money I've spent on James, but when I listen to their music (albeit a limited sample of their music) I get my pay back.

Perhaps if they begged to play a slot that was suitable for their size then said begging wouldn't fall on deaf ears. A mid-tier band most notable for the theme from American Pie talking themselves up as a suitable replacement for the Foo Fighters or Florence and the Machine just generates a bad smell.

EDIT: American Pie wasn't even in the 21st Century.

Edited by Zac Quinn

24 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Perhaps if they begged to play a slot that was suitable for their size then said begging wouldn't fall on deaf ears. A mid-tier band most notable for the theme from American Pie talking themselves up as a suitable replacement for the Foo Fighters or Florence and the Machine just generates a bad smell.

EDIT: American Pie wasn't even in the 21st Century.

Next you will be telling me New Order are most notable for a song in Trainspotting and that was not even in the 21st century :-)

42 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Next you will be telling me New Order are most notable for a song in Trainspotting and that was not even in the 21st century :-)

No, because - unlike the suggestion James are nowadays most notable for the theme to American Pie - that would obv be unreasonable.

The Mancunian obsession with talking up bands that come from their city is genuinely quite weird, I wish I understood it.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

No, because - unlike the suggestion James are nowadays most notable for the theme to American Pie - that would obv be unreasonable.

The Mancunian obsession with talking up bands that come from their city is genuinely quite weird, I wish I understood it.

Edited by eastynh

3 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Have a read of this mate, its a very good book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-England-Story-Cult-City/dp/1841151467

I don't think anyone was suggesting James get a primetime spot at Glasto. The band were just replying to questions on twitter and said they would love to play if a fill in was needed.

Edited by eastynh

3 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Not just Manchester though, is it? I agree it's really odd, but it happens with loads of people/towns. 'Oh yeah, we've got to go and see them, they're good Leeds/New Zealand/Glasgow/Small village just ouside the New Forest boys' or whatever. Absolutely baffling. Good music is good music, clearly doesn't matter a fuck where it comes from. Personally, I find any expression of regional pride really fucking odd, but especially in music.

51 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Not just Manchester though, is it? I agree it's really odd, but it happens with loads of people/towns. 'Oh yeah, we've got to go and see them, they're good Leeds/New Zealand/Glasgow/Small village just ouside the New Forest boys' or whatever. Absolutely baffling. Good music is good music, clearly doesn't matter a fuck where it comes from. Personally, I find any expression of regional pride really fucking odd, but especially in music.

I feel the same as you but I think it's because I've never lived in one place for longer than 5 years, up until my most recent place, so I've never really had a chance to develop these tribal feelings of loyalty to anywhere. You've lived a similar life haven't you?

Football's worse though. Those knuckle daggers actually beat people up for having the nerve to be born elsewhere.

That being said, the Mancunians love for their local bands is unlike anything else in music in this country I think. When I lived in Liverpool people there always put it down to lingering beatles envy. 

42 minutes ago, Mardy said:

To be fair I do not think it is a pride of the place you come from, but more kind of defending the bands you like. At the end of the day your taste in music kind of defines you and says a lot about your personality. 

My taste in music is pretty broad but it is no secret I like a lot of the Manchester bands. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly a lot of them were truly original innovators with great songs. Growing up in 80/90's Manchester is not like it is now. There was no internet,  one mtv channel if you were lucky. Manchester was a dump with not much hope for young kids growing up. But the kids in Manchester like myself were being exposed to all this fantastic music. When you are growing up with pretty much nothing in an absolute shit hole then what you do have tends to mean a lot to you. As well as the Manchester bands I also grew up loving Depeche Mode, piano and Italian House,  plus all the rave and break beat stuff. It is fair to say that you would get the same reaction on them areas out of me as you get on the Mancunian stuff.

Music is a lot more throw away these days. People just download a track and stick it in a play list. Believe you me there is a bit more emotional commitment attached to a band or record when you have spent all your money on the cd/vinyl/tape and are having to live on beans on toast for a week. I perfectly understand if someone does not understand that especially if they are younger, but don't be too judgemental on us older ones if we seem a little precious at times about our tunes.

Further to the Manchester thing, I thought Noel Gallagher was a right prick for having a dig at Hot Chip and I am firmly on Hot Chips side, although I am on Noels side when it comes to Radiohead :-)

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I too love Manchester because the kids today have it too easy.

no, it's a fair point, I only listen to shellac 78s on a hand wound gramphone (if I'm feeling lazy) or preferably on a wax cylinder with a calliope steam engine powering it. You johnny-come-latelys just wouldn't understand with your cds/tapes/vinyl.