James?

EIaine

1 hour ago, justperfect said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when blondie played she was second on. Was it not the kaiser chiefs who opened proceedings that year?

I think you're right and we missed KC because 1. we weren't that fussed and 2. my mates are tarts! ;)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the atmosphere at the beginning of the set, I'm pretty sure by the end of it James will have got everyone buzzing. They have so many good songs and have a disproptinaltely high number of "oh, this is by them is it?" tunes for the casual fans to get into them as well as the faithful.

Edited by Hotchilidog

51 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Plenty of great tunes, but I'd say out of those only Laid, Sit Down, She's a Star and maybe Come Home will really go down a storm to people who aren't fans. 

Thing is everyone thinks they have four songs that everyone will know. While Sit Down is a gimmee, the other three that people pick will depend on when they happened to be paying attention to them. There were six years between Sit Down and She's a Star, which takes in 6 or 7 songs from that list.

There will only be one or two that everyone will know. But you'll have a good half of the crowd knowing every other one (except for the two tracks they'll do off the new album and maybe one of the more obscure dancey ones to up the energy). It'll just be different ones.

It's a tough slot (though not as difficult with them pre-announced. Half the reason for it being death slot the past few years is that everyone turns up to see who it is, then the first song is half of them buggering off), but if anyone can pull it off...I've seen them win round uninterested crowds at festivals at many times. Maybe no-one could kill it in that slot, maybe they will die a death. But if they can't do it I don't think anyone can.

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I think they'll cope....

She's A Star

Sit Down

Waltzing Along

Sometimes

Laid

Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)

Come Home

Say Something

Out To Get You

Tomorrow

Born of Frustration

Destiny Calling

Ring The Bells

I'd love to see them play Sound in all its glory but not sure they'll go with it for that crowd 

4 hours ago, mario man said:

I'd love to see them play Sound in all its glory but not sure they'll go with it for that crowd 

It's pretty much always been their live highlight for me but it is one of those songs that either needs a good 10-12 minutes, the dark or, preferably, both. GAWI(AMU) is another absolutely awesome live track and they'll definitely include it - everyone knows when to do the Travolta, yeah?! It's an amazing thing when the whole crowd gets that right. I am so bloody excited about James "come(ing) home" to Glastonbury!

Interview with NME here: http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/1990s-indie-icons-james-are-set-to-topple-adele-from-number-1-we-spoke-to-frontman-tim-booth?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Talks a lot about Glastonbury:

What do you have planned for your Other Stage opening slot at Glastonbury?
“It’s gonna be fun. We haven’t been there in years. We thought they didn’t like us anymore, and maybe they don’t! We’re gonna make a big deal out of it and do something special for it. A bottle of champagne on a ship’s hull might be the appropriate response. ‘I name this festival…’.”

It’s become a prestige slot.
“So we’ve been told. Glastonbury’s clearly the festival to play, we’ve played there many times. We were second to the headliner one year. We love playing Glastonbury and it’s great to be back.”

What can you remember about replacing Morrissey on the bill back in ’92?
“I think he got one of his ailments and they asked us to step in. We opened with ‘We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful’, which is a song he wrote about us, so that was a high piece of narcissism on our part. We had a good gig and I don’t think they were too upset by the fact that it wasn’t Morrissey.”

Will you be sticking around this year?
“Yes, we probably will. Most of us are always curious about Glastonbury, there’s so much to see and so many different fields. Before it gets too chaotic over the Saturday and Sunday we’d quite like to stick around, certainly Friday, maybe a lot longer.”

Will you be heading for the Green Fields for all the alternative therapies and ideologies?
“I think you’ve got the wrong band. We’re more likely to head towards the orgy field.”

That’s where it is.
“Oh fine, yes, then we’ll be in the Green Fields.”

What makes Glastonbury special?
“It’s the variety of experience. You don’t have to be at the main stage the whole time you’re there, there’s so much going on, so many different events. It’s become such a tradition it should almost be a public holiday. The variety of styles going on, too, makes it special. Most festivals get genre-fied, stuck in one genre. At Glastonbury you can find whatever you want.”

Edited by wozwebs

21 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Thing is everyone thinks they have four songs that everyone will know. While Sit Down is a gimmee, the other three that people pick will depend on when they happened to be paying attention to them. There were six years between Sit Down and She's a Star, which takes in 6 or 7 songs from that list.

There will only be one or two that everyone will know. But you'll have a good half of the crowd knowing every other one (except for the two tracks they'll do off the new album and maybe one of the more obscure dancey ones to up the energy). It'll just be different ones.

It's a tough slot (though not as difficult with them pre-announced. Half the reason for it being death slot the past few years is that everyone turns up to see who it is, then the first song is half of them buggering off), but if anyone can pull it off...I've seen them win round uninterested crowds at festivals at many times. Maybe no-one could kill it in that slot, maybe they will die a death. But if they can't do it I don't think anyone can.

Probably why they decided to announce the slot. Putting on a slightly larger than normal band for that slot is one thing, but people were turning up expecting headliner sized acts. At least this way nobody is going to bugger off or stand there disappointed when they find out who it is.

I think the weather will have a lot to do with how well it goes.

Agree with all the shouts about it being a terrible slot and they could have their work cut out to get the crowd going.

Tim Burgess had a good go last year but The Charlatans only really played about 3 well known tunes plus Sproston Green for the hardcore fans. But If I remember rightly it was cold and wet when they played.

I'm sure Tim Booth will sort the crowd out, even if he has to dive in to wake them up.

On 23/03/2016 at 2:14 PM, arcade fireman said:

On the other hand it probably guarantees them a bigger crowd. There's absolutely fuck all else on at the time and a lot of people will make their way to the Other Stage (particularly given all the camping areas nearby) to have a look. True about the atmosphere but you can definitely look at it both ways. 

The first year they did it when Beady eye played it was a good sized crowd, many times the number that the other stage would draw at that time of the day and most stuck around for the Hives after.  Last year's crowd for the Charlatans wasn't more than a quarter of the size.  Hopefully the better reputation that James have will bring the larger crowd, people just couldn't be arsed for the Charlatans, a band who had 2 or 3 songs in the early 90s that anyone apart from a fan remembers.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can't remember if it was cold but it weren't wet. 

There might have been a few spots on and off before lunch, rain came as a punishment from above during the Catfish and the bottlemen set.  Bastards.

21 minutes ago, Spindles said:

There might have been a few spots on and off before lunch, rain came as a punishment from above during the Catfish and the bottlemen set.  Bastards.

I remember that.

I stuck around after seeing Sentient in the Glade for fun sake - I wanted to see if they were as bad live as I was told (they were I lasted about half a song) and almost as soon as they walked out it started pissing it.

quite appropriate really :P

37 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I thought I'd read somewhere he was gonna stop diving cos he got dropped recently cos everyone was too busy recording on their phones to remember to catch him. 

he went down at Kendal landing on Mrs Clark

First time at Glastonbury , been a long time coming but delighted to start with James a fantastic live band , go & see them even if you think you only know sit down.

Hoping for out to get you , curse curse , interrogation & off course sometimes but whatever they do will be great.   

• 4 weeks later...