James?

EIaine

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

Why is a band playing on the Friday considered to be opening the Festival when there is other stuff going on the days prior to that?

Same rules apply to Coldplay "closing" the festival on Sunday night rather than say....Lazy Habits closing the festival on the people's front room stage at 5am.

My group is notoriously difficult to get going in the morning - they perm their ears and disappear for marathon shits for hours on end before we make it to the stages so I am going to be ruling with an iron fist come Friday morning. 

I can't remember how long an opening set is, has anyone any ideas? I think Blondie (last one I saw) was about an hour. Does that sound right?

We're being soft and staying in Campervan East field this year, does anyone have an idea how long it took to get into the festival last year for the opening acts? The queues can be pretty large in the morning - I'm can see me having Glastonbury nightmares for the next three months that I'm stuck at the gates and miss James.

As for James' setlist - I expect a big hitter to open, probably Sit Down  with Laid followed by a massive Sometimes singalong to finish. I'm also hoping for some fantastic extended Saul violin-fiddling accompanied by some full-on Tim Booth shamanic dancing and may be Andy Diagram back in a dress playing his trumpet. 

Cannot bloody wait. I've been refreshing the line-up/rumours page on here for years waiting for James to appear in red. Best news ever. 

Edited by PaulieV
spelling

11 minutes ago, PaulieV said:

My group is notoriously difficult to get going in the morning - they perm their ears and disappear for marathon shits for hours on end before we make it to the stages so I am going to be ruling with an iron fist come Friday morning. 

If they're taking too long to get ready why don't you agree a meeting spot by the Other and head down on your own? Nothing worse than missing a band you really want to see cause everyone else won't get a move on!

14 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

If they're taking too long to get ready why don't you agree a meeting spot by the Other and head down on your own? Nothing worse than missing a band you really want to see cause everyone else won't get a move on!

Definitely doing that this year! 

57 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

I've been meeting people at the front left of the sound stage at whatever festival I've been at for over twenty years now. Never fails and, as a result of being so consistent, I even meet up with people I haven't arranged to see!

Interview with Tim Booth in the NME....

What do you have planned for your Other Stage opening slot at Glastonbury?
“It’s gonna be fun. We haven’t been there in years. We thought they didn’t like us anymore, and maybe they don’t! We’re gonna make a big deal out of it and do something special for it. A bottle of champagne on a ship’s hull might be the appropriate response. ‘I name this festival…’.”

It’s become a prestige slot.
“So we’ve been told. Glastonbury’s clearly the festival to play, we’ve played there many times. We were second to the headliner one year. We love playing Glastonbury and it’s great 

What can you remember about replacing Morrissey on the bill back in ’92?
“I think he got one of his ailments and they asked us to step in. We opened with ‘We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful’, which is a song he wrote about us, so that was a high piece of narcissism on our part. We had a good gig and I don’t think they were too upset by the fact that it wasn’t Morrissey.”

Will you be sticking around this year?
“Yes, we probably will. Most of us are always curious about Glastonbury, there’s so much to see and so many different fields. Before it gets too chaotic over the Saturday and Sunday we’d quite like to stick around, certainly Friday, maybe a lot longer.”

Will you be heading for the Green Fields for all the alternative therapies and ideologies?
“I think you’ve got the wrong band. We’re more likely to head towards the orgy field.”

That’s where it is.
“Oh fine, yes, then we’ll be in the Green Fields.”

What makes Glastonbury special?
“It’s the variety of experience. You don’t have to be at the main stage the whole time you’re there, there’s so much going on, so many different events. It’s become such a tradition it should almost be a public holiday. The variety of styles going on, too, makes it special. Most festivals get genre-fied, stuck in one genre. At Glastonbury you can find whatever you want.”

2 hours ago, PaulieV said:

I can't remember how long an opening set is, has anyone any ideas? I think Blondie (last one I saw) was about an hour. Does that sound right?

We're being soft and staying in Campervan East field this year, does anyone have an idea how long it took to get into the festival last year for the opening acts? The queues can be pretty large in the morning - I'm can see me having Glastonbury nightmares for the next three months that I'm stuck at the gates and miss James.

As for James' setlist - I expect a big hitter to open, probably Sit Down  with Laid followed by a massive Sometimes singalong to finish. I'm also hoping for some fantastic extended Saul violin-fiddling accompanied by some full-on Tim Booth shamanic dancing and may be Andy Diagram back in a dress playing his trumpet. 

Cannot bloody wait. I've been refreshing the line-up/rumours page on here for years waiting for James to appear in red. Best news ever. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but when blondie played she was second on. Was it not the kaiser chiefs who opened proceedings that year?

27 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when blondie played she was second on. Was it not the kaiser chiefs who opened proceedings that year?

Yeah, and pretty sure they did a 45-min set.

ETA: Yep:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2014/

Edited by MoilyX

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

All it will take though mate is one band to really nail that opening slot and it will become a prestigious slot.

It's an impossible, hopeless task. I'm absolutely distraught they've got this slot. There will never ever ever be a good atmosphere at that time of the of the day. It's an insult to the band to fob them off with this shit.

On the other hand it probably guarantees them a bigger crowd. There's absolutely fuck all else on at the time and a lot of people will make their way to the Other Stage (particularly given all the camping areas nearby) to have a look. True about the atmosphere but you can definitely look at it both ways. 

That said James might be a couple of really big tunes away from making it a successful set (which is not necessarily just a good set). They have 3-4 songs that will go down really well, but if they had another couple it would have been at least half the set. 

Edited by arcade fireman

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's an impossible, hopeless task. I'm absolutely distraught they've got this slot. There will never ever ever be a good atmosphere at that time of the of the day. It's an insult to the band to fob them off with this shit.

I'm hoping to see Russy at the front waving a "Down with this sort of thing!" placard.

Edited by Hugh Jass

32 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

That said James might be a couple of really big tunes away from making it a successful set (which is not necessarily just a good set). They have 3-4 songs that will go down really well, but if they had another couple it would have been at least half the set. 

I think they'll cope....

She's A Star

Sit Down

Waltzing Along

Sometimes

Laid

Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)

Come Home

Say Something

Out To Get You

Tomorrow

Born of Frustration

Destiny Calling

Ring The Bells

Edited by danbailey80

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I think they'll cope....

She's A Star

Sit Down

Waltzing Along

Sometimes

Laid

Come Home

Say Something

Out To Get You

Tomorrow

Born of Frustration

Destiny Calling

Ring The Bells

If that was the setlist I'd quite happily go home straight after

6 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I think they'll cope....

She's A Star

Sit Down

Waltzing Along

Sometimes

Laid

Come Home

Say Something

Out To Get You

Tomorrow

Born of Frustration

Destiny Calling

Ring The Bells

Plenty of great tunes, but I'd say out of those only Laid, Sit Down, She's a Star and maybe Come Home will really go down a storm to people who aren't fans. 

Edited by arcade fireman

25 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

On the other hand it probably guarantees them a bigger crowd. There's absolutely fuck all else on at the time and a lot of people will make their way to the Other Stage (particularly given all the camping areas nearby) to have a look. True about the atmosphere but you can definitely look at it both ways. 

Aye I agree on the size of the crowd, but tim booth doesnt strike me as the sort of person who will enjoy performing to a crowd of silent, motionless automatons. 

That interview reads like they've well and truly had the wool pulled over their eyes. By their own admission they havent attended the festival in years so it's easy to see how the conversation went. I suspect they've been conned in to thinking it's equivalent to the sunday afternoon legends slot.

Probably taken it on the cheap too because of it!

They've undoubtedly got the songs. If they manage to get more than 10% of the crowd going it will be the most remarkable achievement in the history of music festivals.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Aye I agree on the size of the crowd, but tim booth doesnt strike me as the sort of person who will enjoy performing to a crowd of silent, motionless automatons. 

That interview reads like they've well and truly had the wool pulled over their eyes. By their own admission they havent attended the festival in years so it's easy to see how the conversation went. I suspect they've been conned in to thinking it's equivalent to the sunday afternoon legends slot.

Probably taken it on the cheap too because of it!

They've undoubtedly got the songs. If they manage to get more than 10% of the crowd going it will be the most remarkable achievement in the history of music festivals.

I intend to go full Booth-style-whirling-dervish-dancing-man for every minute. I figure if I throw myself about enough it will look (to my eyes) as if the whole crowd is jumping. 

Seriously, though, they'll absolutely nail it. Then the problem will be how much of a let down everything after is!!

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Andy diagram hasn't worn a dress for a few years when I've seen them but he still plays his trumpet. 

Agreed - he wore a dress at V when I saw them about five years ago there but it's rare these days. 

Yeah I know, I know I went to V :( but it was principally to see James. Got to the front had a dance with Tim and even sang into his mic for a bit of Born Of Frustration. One of the best festival moments of my life! :rofl: