James?

EIaine

50 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Or maybe they've got so many other hits that they can afford to change up a setlist and not just trot out the same predictable set just to appease those who only care about hearing the one song they'd heard of before the gig?

I get the point, but it didnt work. 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

I saw them years ago at a Solar Eclipse festival. Very mixed crowd, certainly not a hardcore fanbase, they played Sit Down - but a stripped down, slow, semi acoustic version. I've considered them a bunch of pretentious w*nkers ever since.

What festival was it?

56 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I love the acoustic, Larry and Tim version of "Sit Down". When they did it at the Albert Hall about 4 years ago, with a fanfare from the upper tier and the two of them playing while ambling into the back of the arena before climbing on the mixing desk, to launch the show it was utterly magical. Hilarious that James are getting called out for not playing their anthem properly but Radiohead are always given a free pass to ditch all of their more authentic tunes.

I was there for that! Tim fell off the mixing desk didn't he? Got up and soldiered on! 

49 minutes ago, DGrant261 said:

The setlist will probs be very similar to this from Kendal last year, http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2015/lowther-deer-park-penrith-england-23f64cc7.html

I enjoyed that gig. Found them a litte self indulgent the last few times I've seen them, but they headlined bearded theory and Kendal last year and I thoroughly enjenjoyed both. 

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Whens the last time the Mondays played?

Well, that's The Fall and James we've had in consecutive years. Both Manc bands believed to be banned...

Edit: Let's see Tim Booth piss his pants before he goes on stage though!

Edited by jackarmy

2 hours ago, sirdannytee said:

I was there for that! Tim fell off the mixing desk didn't he? Got up and soldiered on! 

He certainly did. There's a bad video on YouTube of it, which I believe includes my only, fleeting appearance on the aforementioned platform.

I wonder what is appealing to the band about playing that opening slot. Aren't they meant to ask for big fee's for a band of their size? They won't get that for opening the Other stage, and the BBC probably won't even record the set either.

2 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Fair enough, don't have that version of it but by T in the Park later that summer they were back to playing it as the regular version.

Last few times I heard it they seemed to settle on playing the first verse and chorus stripped down, before bringing everything back in for the rest of the song.

41 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I wonder what is appealing to the band about playing that opening slot. Aren't they meant to ask for big fee's for a band of their size? They won't get that for opening the Other stage, and the BBC probably won't even record the set either.

I dunno if they're getting what Beady Eye or even Charlatans got it's probably enough. It's not like they want headliner money, but they probably do want Other headliner/third on the bill Pyramid money. Whereas the festival see them as more of a mid-afternoon band. I don't think it's a huge monetary difference, just a few grand out. This slot sort of fixes that.

Or maybe it's the fact that they got to announce early, just the sixth band announced, in the week their new album came out. This announcement has got them a lot of press, far more than they'd be getting from a more prestigious slot (say Other headliner) announced with the rest of the poster.

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

The big fee thing might actually be a load of bollocks, I think it was only ever a presumption.

It is a terrible slot though, maybe they're just happy to be asked to play and would take any old slot. Everything we thought we knew about them could be wrong!

Edited by russycarps

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

If they were on at 4pm, they'd get 1/3 of the size crowd.

I'd rather headline the park (which they definitely could), but they wouldnt be playing in front of 55,000 then.

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The big fee thing might actually be a load of bollocks, I think it was only ever a presumption.

It is a terrible slot though, maybe they're just happy to be asked to play and would take any old slot. Everything we thought we knew about them could be wrong!

Maybe they agreed to do it if they were allowed to announce it early and thus generate lots of talk and record sales as a result?

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Note that the slot has been rebranded from the mystery special guest to The Performance That Kick Starts The Whole Festival.

Surely The Performance That Kick Starts An Ailing Career.

Why is a band playing on the Friday considered to be opening the Festival when there is other stuff going on the days prior to that? Does the festival evolve around the two largest stages?

Having said that, I will be there seeing James as they very much fall into the category of worth checking out for the first time

1 hour ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

Why is a band playing on the Friday considered to be opening the Festival when there is other stuff going on the days prior to that? Does the festival evolve around the two largest stages?

Having said that, I will be there seeing James as they very much fall into the category of worth checking out for the first time

It's like totally symbollick innit.

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Surely The Performance That Kick Starts An Ailing Career.

Much like the Charlatans last year year, it's the performance that kick starts my Friday turn-out at the Other compost shitters. Laxatising Russian coffee and cig optional.

6 hours ago, Alan_C said:

gives them the rest of the day to get pissed and enjoy the rest of Friday, see other bands etc :)