Slam Dunk 2016

justanothername

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moose Blood > Young Guns/Roam/WSTR > Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! > We Came As Romans/As It Is/Gnarwolves > Yellowcard > With Confidence > New Found Glory > Panic! At The Disco

Only bands I'm a bit annoyed about missing will be Four Year Strong and King Blues

Moose Blood > WSTR > Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! > Mayday Parade > Real Friends > Four Year Strong > Mallory Knox > New Found Glory > The Story So Far

Really happy that Moose Blood and WSTR aren't clashing. I will miss the end of Captain Chunk! and head over to Mayday Parade, and catch the second half of Mallory Knox after FYS finish. The only clash that irks me is NFG and The Starting Line, who I wanted to catch just for The Best Of Me :P never mind though, NFG will make up for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ashleyluka said:

Yeah, technical issues made them half an hour late. The singer was really pissed about it, not their fault I don't think.

Yeah only got 4 or 5 songs in, but don't know them well enough to tell you the ones they played, and same with NFG I'm afraid 

Worst venue ever. The bands were amazing but after standing for an hour in the worlds longest queue to get in, not being able to find the stages, and then being met by the tinniest acoustics ever, well I was over it by the early afternoon. Wolvo was 10x better.

The Beat were excellent however.

Went to the North Date on Saturday and had a great day. Queues were a little ridiculous at times, and the main stage sound was a bit iffy, but overall it was great. 

I saw Moose Blood, WSTR, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Mayday Parade, Northlane, Four Year Strong, Mallory Knox, New Found Glory, The Story So Far and Of Mice and Men. 

Four Year Strong were the absolute highlight for me. Incredible and the most fun I've had at a gig for a while. They're SO good at what they do and so underrated. Brilliant. 

WSTR were also great fun. Their cover of Break Stuff was mad. Captain Chunk! were just as great as the last time I saw them at Download. 

Disappointed with both Moose Blood and Mayday Parade, both of whom I thought were just a bit meh. 

NFG was good fun and something nice to stand in the sun with a beer having a good ol' singalong to. 

I watched the first 20mins or so or TSSF, and really enjoyed it. Last time I saw them was on the main stage at Leeds, and they're so much better suited to indoor venues. I'm just in awe of Parker :lol: 

The big surprise of the day for me was Of Mice & Men. I'm not really a big fan of them on record, but all of my friends I was with were wanting to see them so I went along after watching that bit of TSSF. Wow. They were SO good. Austin really is an awesome vocalist. Crowd was loving it, pits were huge and they sounded amazing. The only song I really like (The Depths) was insane. I'm going to have to give their records another go. 

Overall it was a brilliant day and worth every penny of the ticket price. Excellent value. 

I saw coldrain, moose blood, spunge, wstr, Boston manor, chunk, no captain chunk, we came as Romans, yellowcard, four year strong, creeper, new found glory, issues and patd. 

Best acts of the day were coldrain, four year strong and creeper. Yellowcard were good for the 5 songs they played. Saw patd for my wife and it's not my thing at all. His vocals were great but I'm pretty sure all the music were tracks and not live. 

JB Conspiracy, [spunge], Mayday Parade, Elder Brother, Yellowcard, Capdown, Amity Afliction, Mallory Knox and NFG.  Couldn't be bothered waiting 45min for the King Blues, so sloped off early like the old man I am!

Spunge were the highlight for me, but they're one of my fave bands!

Great day in Hatfield, seemed well organised, not overly busy, despite being sold out.  Main gripe was they stopped you bringing food in - so bolted our picnic back at the car - first fest I've been to where you couldn't bring snacks in. 

Moose Blood, Young Guns, Mayday Parade, Yellowcard, Mallory Knox, New Found Glory, planned on leaving main stage but i was at the barrier by the time Yellowcard came of so decided to stay at the front

Highlights being Moose Blood and Yellowcard, especially Yellowcard, they were incredible.
Mayday Parade was painful to get through, Young Guns were kind of disapointing too, sound wasn't great.

North for me ...

Moose Blood - Young Guns - Hit The Lights - Mayday Parade - Yellowcard (shame about the short set) - Mallory Knox (no chance of getting in for FYS) - 1/2 the starting line - 1/2 NFG - Set Yours Goals - Every Time I Die

mainstage sound was iffy/weak and the que to get in for FYS was a joke !

Id prefer if they moved back to the uni but that aint gonna happen ...

never missed a band before it moved last year (missed finch/architects) but wasn't as bad for last year coz bayside/fireworks/twy was who I went for anyway ...

PS - think they oversold it ?

Edited by theshapeofpunktocome123

I was at North too. Was first Slam Dunk so I can't comment if it was usually that busy but loads of people on Facebbok seem to think this year was pretty bad with the whole running things. Luckily it didn't affect me and I got too see everyone I wanted apart from the first 10 mins of Moose Blood (got there an hour before hand and still missed 10 mins which is a bit shit tbh). Anyway

Moose Blood - Bit bland. Was Really looking forward to these guys and were a bit of a disappointment in the end 5/10

Chunk! - Was going to watch WSTR but my mates were all tired (they went out the night before) and I did want a minute to sit down after standing up on the train and queuing to get in. But about Chunk! they were bloody fun. Had an absolute blast during their set. Want to see these guys again soon. 8.5/10

Gnarwolves - Again just good fun all around. Gnarwolves know what they're doing and even know it wasn't quite their basement sets they're still the kings of stage banter 8/10

Real Friends - Only just managed to get into this (my mate got in before me and get sent upstairs and while I was allowed downstairs). They were good but I wasn't really paying attention and I was stood at the back. Still good to singalong to Floorboards I guess. Think I'm going to see them in December aswell 7/10

Four Year Strong - THIS IS HOW YOU DO A FESTIVAL SET! It was sooo much fun! When my mate thought he wasn't going to get into then jumps on me during Heroes Get Remembered was the moment of the festival for me. They put so much energy and drive into their performance and the end result was outstanding. These guys have to tour their UK soon and when they dour I'll be there. 9.5/10 (I'm very stingy with my 10s)

New Found Glory - Caught the first 10 mins. Seemed very good and I would have stuck around for the rest of it if it wasn't for...

Set Your Goals - Back from their 4 year hiatus and they look glad to be back. They were having fun and so was the crowd. Even gave out free pizza during their set (didn't get any mind but it's the thought that counts). Just like FYS their perfonce was full of energy and Gaia Bleeds was carnage. Was getting a bit ridiculous with the circle pits though as the floor was so wet that people kept slipping over (me included, twice) but that was all part of the fun. 9/10

The Story So Far - Seen the TSSF 3 times now and they just have the same fun factor that other Pop Punk bands do. They stand there looking miserable but they do show glimmers of fun during songs from Under Soil & Dirt but I still tought it was good. A very tight performance as usual just wished it'd be a bit more "fun". Oh well. Wil still see them when they tour next see they are the ones who win in the end :lol: 7.5/10

All in all I had a good time and will go again (if exams and other things allow it) but I do hope they organise it a bit better next year (if the comments I've seen are true)

Edited by justanothername

1 hour ago, justanothername said:

Set Your Goals - Back from their 4 year hiatus and they look glad to be back. They were having fun and so was the crowd. Even gave out free pizza during their set (didn't get any mind but it's the thought that counts). Just like FYS their perfonce was full of energy and Gaia Bleeds was carnage. Was getting a bit ridiculous with the circle pits though as the floor was so wet that people kept slipping over (me included, twice) but that was all part of the fun. 9/10

ha, I missed out on the pizza as well ! SYG and ETID easily top 2 bands for me (but mainly coz they was indoor in decent venues !)