Offsite camping - end of railway track

Nice hymer

I seem to remember someone telling me about some off-site camping at the end of the railway track. Other side of the fence at the SE corner.

Not glamping, more like a proper campsite with provision for tents, caravans and motorhomes..

Can anyone confirm that it exists ? Pretty sure that I didn't imagine the conversation...

A name or link would be great - thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM, pilton digger said:

...they allow arrival by Helicopter.

That'll be handy.

If It Is Ashcombe Park, you are thinking of, they advertise a mini bus to the gate. As we drove past on the way out this year, there was a sign saying the shuttle bus had been cancelled on Instruction of the festival organisor.

Edited by Gnomicide

On 12/29/2015 at 1:50 PM, Gnomicide said:

That'll be handy.

If It Is Ashcombe Park, you are thinking of, they advertise a mini bus to the gate. As we drove past on the way out this year, there was a sign saying the shuttle bus had been cancelled on Instruction of the festival organisor.

They stopped all private buses/mini buses from dropping off/picking up at the main festival bus stop this year.

From the website here.
"The Festival Bus station is not available for private coaches at any time this year & you will need to use the Drop & Collect regardless of your arrival time."

It does say "Updated information for 2016 will be available soon" so this may all change again.

On 12/11/2015 at 8:11 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have no idea where this camping site is in relation to the end of the railway track, but will mention it just in case it's the one that you refer to, or if not, would suit your purposes anyway;

http://www.ashcombefarmcaravanandcamping.co.uk/

We stayed there last year. It's opposite the apple tree pub. Cut through the workers car park (orange I think) to get into the festival. 

Nice campsite, but wouldn't stay there during the festival again. 

Hope that helps. 

• 2 months later...

We thought about ashcombe park for last year as the kids are so young and we really wanted to take the caravan. We decided not to in the end. But it's always been in the back of my mind for future festivals should we be unlucky and not get a camper pass. Curious to know why you wouldn't stay there during the festival again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I camped here http://ashcombepark.com in 2014. Just for the Tuesday night but left car there the whole week and camped in Dairy.

Close enough to go back to car a few times for stuff, maybe 20 mins from Gate D, closer than some of the car parks certainly, as this side of the main road. Only had to carry tent on Wed morning and then had all the time in the world to get the rest.

But opposite side of festival from SE corner, so quite irrelevant to OP really!

fc

On 10/03/2016 at 6:08 PM, Wondermum said:

We thought about ashcombe park for last year as the kids are so young and we really wanted to take the caravan. We decided not to in the end. But it's always been in the back of my mind for future festivals should we be unlucky and not get a camper pass. Curious to know why you wouldn't stay there during the festival again. 

It's not miles from the festival but it's a bit of a trek after a long day and I didn't like leaving the festival. The benefits of flushing loo and shower stop by Thurs as the water pressure so low none of it worked.

That said if you've got children and need a bit of peace and quiet at night it would be fine. But you wouldn't go back during the day once you leave the tent/caravan.

I think the nail in the coffin was when the group next to us got their ocado delivery.....  

12 hours ago, ladybird33 said:

But you wouldn't go back during the day once you leave the tent/caravan.

We did wonder about that, especially as we spend most of our time near the Kidz Field or up in the Green areas during the day. It's bad enough heading back to the East Campervan fields for a change into warmer clothing at the end of each day before heading out for the evening, although I guess we should use the lock ups for our evening gear instead really. 

12 hours ago, ladybird33 said:

I think the nail in the coffin was when the group next to us got their ocado delivery.....  

Oh my days!