festis line ups good ones and bad

guypjfreak

So IOW has got Queen headlining ...amazing since as far as i remember freddies dead lol so its a tribute band lol....so thats one i dont have to worry about going to .

whos next to release a headliner ?? AND do you have to go ???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I hope for is better Other Stage headliners than last year.

I'll probably get a day ticket for Reading if Foals and/or Florence play. Might check out one of the small UK fests next year as they'll probably get some good headliners.

I'm mainly waiting for 2017 though (Radiohead/Arcade Fire - hopefully not at Reading).

44 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Except it's not about the music or the headliners.  There's a lot of other things to choose between those festivals.

we KNOW that grumpy old son we know BUT it would be nice to have a good headline act ..its a festi after all and russsy old son before i saw your post thats the first thing that came into my mind when i saw grumpys post ...

we NOT dooooomed yet there are still a few bands that would make a great headline act ....need i say it need i lol

NEED I lol

ok PJ

I saw Queen + AL earlier this year and they were bloody fantastic so I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again next year.. I think Adam lambert is very good fronting queen, he is camp enough and 'gets' Queen and Freddie's legacy in a way  Paul Rodgers never did.

I agree we need to fit a bit of music around the eating, drinking and other things.  It's also great to look back and think: "That was the year when I saw ....."

Although sometimes a band had an outstanding performer (for example Freddie), I'm still happy to see 'remnant' bands, like Queen + AL or Roger Waters without the rest of Floyd, if they've got a great body of music and put on a good show.

But I also enjoy discovering bands I've not previously known, often found on the smaller stages.  Those discoveries can also make the festival.  With fests like Glasto you know there will be one of two discoveries.  And example for me would be Gogol Bordello a couple of years ago.  So my point that it is not about the headliners didn't mean it wasn't about the music.

But increasingly for me with festivals it's the non-headline or even non-music moments that stand out.

An example was seeing Feeding the Fish a couple of years ago in the Cabaret tent.  I was so knocked out I went back and saw their second show.

A great festival is one where you can also find non-mainstream acts like this.

O8b708KdCuQ

https://youtu.be/O8b708KdCuQ 

Edited by grumpyhack
Not inserting youtube clip

My attitude towards headliners veers towards the extreme at times, to the point where I get a bit annoyed if there's a headlining act I want to see. Trying to get away from a stage after a headliner, particularly as some of my favourite things happen once the main stages shut, is just too much of a ballsache. Combine my general dislike for headline sets with my "it's not about the music" attitude and I can come across a right hipster c**t.

I didn't see a whole headline set this year.

And all those announced/rumoured acts look shit.

6 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I agree we need to fit a bit of music around the eating, drinking and other things.  It's also great to look back and think: "That was the year when I saw ....."

Although sometimes a band had an outstanding performer (for example Freddie), I'm still happy to see 'remnant' bands, like Queen + AL or Roger Waters without the rest of Floyd, if they've got a great body of music and put on a good show.

But I also enjoy discovering bands I've not previously known, often found on the smaller stages.  Those discoveries can also make the festival.  With fests like Glasto you know there will be one of two discoveries.  And example for me would be Gogol Bordello a couple of years ago.  So my point that it is not about the headliners didn't mean it wasn't about the music.

But increasingly for me with festivals it's the non-headline or even non-music moments that stand out.

An example was seeing Feeding the Fish a couple of years ago in the Cabaret tent.  I was so knocked out I went back and saw their second show.

A great festival is one where you can also find non-mainstream acts like this.

O8b708KdCuQ

https://youtu.be/O8b708KdCuQ 

This reminds me that Glastonbury need to re-book Gogol Bordello, great fun at Sziget this year!

Cant understand the hate for Muse. Sure they have headlined twice before (6 years ago was last one) so you can bring up the age old argument of seeing something new.....but look at state of modern music. Its in a desperate state. There aren't many headline worthy acts around.

Plus if you were there in 2010 to see them, or you have seen them countless other times like I have done both....you will know they put on an incredible live show. Not seen many better live acts tbh.

If Muse headline, they will get a huge crowd and absolutely smash it, no question.

29 minutes ago, Ben Holland said:

Cant understand the hate for Muse. Sure they have headlined twice before (6 years ago was last one) so you can bring up the age old argument of seeing something new.....but look at state of modern music. Its in a desperate state. There aren't many headline worthy acts around.

Plus if you were there in 2010 to see them, or you have seen them countless other times like I have done both....you will know they put on an incredible live show. Not seen many better live acts tbh.

If Muse headline, they will get a huge crowd and absolutely smash it, no question.

isnt it because all their new stuff is complete shit?

11 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Except it's not about the music or the headliners.  There's a lot of other things to choose between those festivals.

I didn't say there wasn't!!

presumably you don't talk about lineups or headliners then?  no point as they don't mean anything hey.....

Well Bloodstock has Twisted Sister and Mastodon with Slayer yet to be announced, so that is one festival where i shall enjoy all the headliners.

Would like at least one Glastonbury headliner to watch on the Pyramid this year as it is a spectacular occasion, if it's Muse, CP and Adele I will once again be elsewhere I fear.

Edited by Hotchilidog

1 hour ago, Ben Holland said:

A lot of acts aren't being given a chance to headline maybe? I'm fond of nostalgia but people are craving for it especially at the minute.

I'm not even saying I want them to headline. Seen them countless times including at Glasto.

I'm saying they are just a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Will they fill the field? Yes. Will they deliver the goods? They do every time.

I'm.hoping for something else too but Muse are a festivals booking department's dream. That was my point.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

OK. I'm a fair, broadminded man.

Which Muse album by Muse do the Musesplainers think is the best Muse album to convert a non Muse fan into a Muse fan?

Showbiz is underrated I think which is their first album, Origin of Symmetry & Absolution are decent but anything after that isn't very good. I'd probably just do the first three in order but then go no further.

Indeed.  Showbiz was a pretty good record in it's day, Origin was them finding their feet and Absolution was the first sign that they enjoyed the smell of their own farts, from there on out you might as well have been playing old Queen LPs at 45rpm.

They do have a reputation for a good live show and their 2010 headline performance was well received, but honestly they have not released anything since (or in fact for a good while before) of any value at all.