Optimus/NOS Alive 2016 anyone been before?

Justiceforcedave

Went there in 2014 with Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys and The Libertines. Great fun, cheap beer, quite a small festival (compared to the likes or Reading, V Festival, Glastonbury etc.) 3 main stages that can be categorised by Main stage, Dance/Alternative and Indie/Pop. The main stage is great, changes colours with the stage lighting and is a massive sun trap through the day.1529685_10152145530365946_12225788720580

I'm sure the festival has changed a lot since I went 2 years ago and it seems to get bigger acts now, all of your festival programmes were thrown in with the price when I went including lanyards, hats etc. Main downfall to the area it is in is that it's very dry and when the wind picks up you can get a lot of dust flying around!

The city is also great and we stayed in Lisboa camping so that we had the free shuttle to/from the festival which runs until about 3/4am. The festival started at around 4pm so we spent the mornings around the pool in Lisboa camping. We also didn't camp, we contacted them directly (+351217628200 or info@libsoacamping.com) and booked one of the bungalows which was very basic and almost like a wooden camper van but was much nicer than sweating in a tent with shared showers.

The city has a decent night life too if you plan on spending more than just the festival there and most restaurants server great food!

They always share plenty of acts, including headliners with bilbao BBK

2015 - Mumford, Muse, Jesus & Mary Chain, Alt-J

2014 - Black Keys, Bastille

2013 - Depeche Mode, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Editors, TDCC

2012 - Cure, Radiohead, Snow Patrol

So far Bilbao announced Pixies, Father Joe Misty & Courtney Barnett and also M83

3 hours ago, carlmcg said:

Pixies aren't a headline band anymore.

It sounds very much like they're gonna be headlining at Bilbao BBK the same weekend.  Although it seems that festival always has at least one smaller headliner!

On 07/12/2015 at 6:41 PM, Justiceforcedave said:

Some Portuguese web site is also saying Pearl Jam, apparently the source is separate to the one from the PJ fan site. Sounds like it could be legit.

Really hoping that if this is true they end up at Bilbao, too.  Don't want to be left feeling like I've booked up for the weaker festival going on that weekend.

14 hours ago, Lord Rooster said:

It sounds very much like they're gonna be headlining at Bilbao BBK the same weekend.  Although it seems that festival always has at least one smaller headliner!

Really hoping that if this is true they end up at Bilbao, too.  Don't want to be left feeling like I've booked up for the weaker festival going on that weekend.

1zzruid.png

Rumoured dates.

14 hours ago, Lord Rooster said:

Quite fancy that one year but always drawn to Primavera and/or Optimus.

Pixies played Lisbon in 2013 at the Coliseu, tickets were easy to get hold of. I saw them last year at Manchester Castlefield, which is 8,000 or so. But Manchester is a second home to them and they had Royal Blood plus Maximo Park on the bill.

On 12/11/2015 at 2:15 PM, Homer said:

I don't think I could return to this fest - being set in essentially a carpark in the city centre wasn't great! Hopefully Foals will get added to BBK too.

It isin the city Centre? really? I looked on google maps and it looks like set a good few miles out of Lisbon city centre and is set next to the sea.

The car park bit wouldn't bother me as been to Benicassim and that is exactly the same and prefer that over a muddy field in England any day.

1 hour ago, oxford20 said:

It isin the city Centre? really? I looked on google maps and it looks like set a good few miles out of Lisbon city centre and is set next to the sea.

The car park bit wouldn't bother me as been to Benicassim and that is exactly the same and prefer that over a muddy field in England any day.

It isn't in the city centre, it's a couple of miles out set at the side of the river Tagus. Whilst the site itself is set on concrete it didn't bother me in the slightest as the atmosphere was brilliant & the riverside setting was rather beautiful. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but I throughly enjoyed it in 2012 & intend to return when I get the chance. 

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It isn't in the city centre, it's a couple of miles out set at the side of the river Tagus. Whilst the site itself is set on concrete it didn't bother me in the slightest as the atmosphere was brilliant & the riverside setting was rather beautiful. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but I throughly enjoyed it in 2012 & intend to return when I get the chance. 

Thanks for clearing that up, Flights are all booked . I can't wait!

On 14/12/2015 at 9:20 AM, Homer said:

It's out of the centre but it still feels very urban - in a big carpark next to some A-roads!

Homer, it sounds as if you didn't enjoy the experience?

I went in 2014 and really enjoyed it! I thought they did a great job with the layout and space they had and when everyone is there and the place is fully set up, it's nothing like a car park (in my opinion).

Just something I mocked up for anyone who is going - in 2014 they layout was like this and you can also see the train station and main road where the buses drop you off.

Map.png

On 16/12/2015 at 2:34 PM, AndrewSmith said:

Homer, it sounds as if you didn't enjoy the experience?

I went in 2014 and really enjoyed it! I thought they did a great job with the layout and space they had and when everyone is there and the place is fully set up, it's nothing like a car park (in my opinion).

Just something I mocked up for anyone who is going - in 2014 they layout was like this and you can also see the train station and main road where the buses drop you off.

Map.png

Thanks for the info and the map. Got a place booked in Belem which should be walking distance from festival. Any other tips would be greatly received