Elton John - "I have never been asked to play Glastonbury"

StLewi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling BS on this.

If Neil Diamond got the call you can bet your bottom dollar Elton would have!

The Rolling Stones also claimed that they'd never had the call until the year they played...

More likely is that their "people" have had the call, but flat out rejected it due to money. So the news of "the call" never makes it as far as the artist themselves.

To be fair to Reg, he is not a stadium filling monster any more, perhaps he would play the legend slot? He's certainly got the tunes. I have a soft spot for Reg, one of the first albums I ever bought was  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and it still stands up pretty well today (with the probable exception of the over familiar "candle" song) - at least to my, admittedly ancient, ears.

Reg, old boy, give Emily a call.

To be fair to Reg, he is not a stadium filling monster any more, perhaps he would play the legend slot? He's certainly got the tunes. I have a soft spot for Reg, one of the first albums I ever bought was  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and it still stands up pretty well today (with the probable exception of the over familiar "candle" song) - at least to my, admittedly ancient, ears.

Reg, old boy, give Emily a call.

I think he could headline! Mounds of hits, I'd prefer him in the legends slot but wouldn't be surprised if he was billed as a headliner

I'm not surprised he's never been asked. It's only in recent times that pricks like him have been considered as appropriate by glastonbury goers.

As recently as 10 years ago people would have roared with laughter at the prospect, and now he's viewed as the second coming of the messiah. 

"...the second coming..." where has anyone said that? I see him in similar vein to Dolly and Lionel. I don't think he's a headliner. You seem to be rather stuck in a time warp fella. I'm not the first to suggest this to you on here but it sounds like you don't really like the festival very much any more?

Perhaps it's time to hang up your wellies?

"...the second coming..." where has anyone said that? I see him in similar vein to Dolly and Lionel. I don't think he's a headliner. You seem to be rather stuck in a time warp fella. I'm not the first to suggest this to you on here but it sounds like you don't really like the festival very much any more?

Perhaps it's time to hang up your wellies?

You want to see elton john at the festival, and I'm the one stuck in the timewarp.

Have a little think about that.

You want to see elton john at the festival, and I'm the one stuck in the timewarp.

Have a little think about that.

Nothing to think about is there really? You don't seem to like what the festival has become, you don't like the people that attend. Why put yourself through it?

IIRC, Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Lionel Ritchie, Tony Bennett, Lulu even Bruce Frikkin Forsyth have "played" the festival in recent years. Popping Reg in the Sunday Afternoon "sing-along" slot is hardly subverting the spirit of the festival is it?

it's the crux of most of my arguments on here, really. Not just the festival has changed, but society has changed. Yes, Glastonbury has become more mainstream, the acts and the audience both. But also society has changed. music culture in general has changed, it's far more backward looking, it's far more inclusive, less tribal and spans multiple generations. Reissues, reunions,rehabilitation, all the 're's generally. I don't like it, but it's not just specific to Glastonbury. And it's still shite mind, regardless of my like or dislike of individual artists involved. This book is really good on this stuff...

51%2BAUajt6fL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Nothing to think about is there really? You don't seem to like what the festival has become, you don't like the people that attend. Why put yourself through it?

IIRC, Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Lionel Ritchie, Tony Bennett, Lulu even Bruce Frikkin Forsyth have "played" the festival in recent years. Popping Reg in the Sunday Afternoon "sing-along" slot is hardly subverting the spirit of the festival is it?

The reasons I still attend the festival are beyond your comprehension, and are none of your business anyway.

To be honest, the thought of him playing doesn't signify any change to me but the consensus that people could only see a hugely successful, greatly revered British artist play a slot as an hour medley for people to dress up and do karaoke sets off some alarm bells.