Boomtown Festival 2016

5co77ie

There are shops which sell water, cigarettes and pot noodles etc but not like the supermarkets selling cheese etc at Reading. 

The 16 can rule is a bit shit but there are always ways around it. Last year me and my partner took in two 24 pack crates and no one mentioned it (it was absolutely pissing it down though tbf) and we also snuck in a couple of bottles of vodka decanted into water bottles and hidden in our bags. Also, if you go to the Bad Apple Cider Bar in the town centre they have a 7.5% cider for the same price as the normal ciders. A couple of those always got me ready for the evenings fun.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, saw_gameover said:

Any idea what would happen if caught taking too much in? I assume they'll just confiscate the excess?

Yeah, they'd take the excess off you. I think they are quite hot on it from what I've heard but spirits are always smuggle-able. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:25 AM, eFestivals said:

the Lions Den usually starts at around midday and runs to 11pm-ish (I forget the exact times).

If they do things the way they normally do, Damian will open that stage on the Friday.

Sounds like they are mixing it up again "catch Junior Gong after Fat Freddy's drop on Sunday night"

Boomtown podcast - Trenchtown 2016 https://www.mixcloud.com/BoomtownFair/boomtown-podcasts-trenchtown-2016/

I was hoping he'd be on the Friday when I'm still full of beans.  I'll have to take it easy . . . ..  .  maybe

1 minute ago, dumski said:

Sounds like they are mixing it up again "catch Junior Gong after Fat Freddy's drop on Sunday night"

Damn .... I always thought the idea of having the biggest name of the weekend open the festival was a fantastic way of doing it, and that it worked very well.

Any ideas who'll open on Friday instead, then?

I'd like it to be Inner Circle but if they are going BIG then Madness wouldn't be too bad a shout.

Did they release the set times online last year a few days before?  this is sort of ringing a bell but I may be imagining it

57 minutes ago, dumski said:

I'd like it to be Inner Circle but if they are going BIG then Madness wouldn't be too bad a shout.

Did they release the set times online last year a few days before?  this is sort of ringing a bell but I may be imagining it

You might be right about Madness, who are down for the Lion's Den. It'd definitely work as a band to get the party started.

I'm pretty sure the set times did come out in advance last year, yeah.

-----

I was chatting to a well-known food trader at a festival the other day, and we said where we were each going. He said he wasn't doing boomtown, so I mentioned its age-range had broadened and that he might sell more food there now.

He said it wasn't having customers that was the issue, the problem was keeping the staff straight enough to serve them. :lol:

2 hours ago, dumski said:

I don't think that they did, you had to buy the programme on the day and i  missed Ruts DC on Thursday night as i hadn't read it by then.

Ok the loser in me scrolled back on FB and they gave the set times for lions dens on 6th July 2015. I'd post a pick if I knew how

I hope this happens again. 

You mention the food, I only ate from the campervan field and kids field but the food was ace, service good, if a little slow. Can't think why

14 hours ago, Turtlepie said:

Hello people, thinking of going to this alone as none of my mates are able to go, do you think this is a good idea or not? Also concerning what were allowed to bring in, is there a limit to food that can be brought in? 

Hey!

A few of us that were going solo are now going as a meetup. I think you can find the group on the app. I'm sure the more the merrier!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 June 2016 at 8:10 PM, Turtlepie said:

Hello people, thinking of going to this alone as none of my mates are able to go, do you think this is a good idea or not? Also concerning what were allowed to bring in, is there a limit to food that can be brought in? 

There's no limit on food!!

Average sort of festival prices... I was drinking cider, mainly from the Bad Apple Cider bar up in the Town Square and it was about £3.50 - £4.00 for a pint.. depending what type I got.

Not sure on food prices, didn't really eat much but a breakfast box was about £6-7 and decent up that way too..

After another amazing Glastonbury, I got speaking to some people while there, who told me about this one. So after getting home and severely missing the feeling of being surrounded by like-minded people I have just now purchased my tickets for this year. I will be travelling on the coach alone from Manchester and can't wait.

See you there!

Personally,. I prefer 'herder and travel from the south to do it instead of boomtown.

theyre both great, independent and banging festivals though.

Depending on your 'habits' be careful with boomtown though, the security is ridiculously tight.  

Hampshire police use it to drive up their conviction rates.  

8 minutes ago, man next door said:

Personally,. I prefer 'herder and travel from the south to do it instead of boomtown.

theyre both great, independent and banging festivals though.

Depending on your 'habits' be careful with boomtown though, the security is ridiculously tight.  

Hampshire police use it to drive up their conviction rates.  

Looking at the lineup I think there are more on that I would watch at Boomtown, but def some good ones at BeatHerder like the Dub Pistols and Gentlemen's Dub Club.

I am pretty much committed at this point with buying the tickets and all :-)

Thanks for the heads up, but I will only be taking what is on the allowed list with me :-)

Having seen boomtown grow year on year, every time I've been amazed at the things they do and the detail and craftsmanship of everything you see.

to walk into boomtown for the first time in this iteration, will be amazing - even having been to Glastonbury I reckon.

youll love it I'm sure 

20 hours ago, punx78 said:

going for the first time. cant wait.. how much is the average beer and food prices dont really want ro soend more that £300?

It's the same as any festival, you can spend however much / little you like. Beer / cider is about £4 a pint and food ranges from about a fiver up. £300 is plenty of spending money I'd say. Last year my partner and I spent about £450 the whole weekend but that included drinking and eating in the hotel bar Wed night too. 

4 hours ago, man next door said:

Having seen boomtown grow year on year, every time I've been amazed at the things they do and the detail and craftsmanship of everything you see.

to walk into boomtown for the first time in this iteration, will be amazing - even having been to Glastonbury I reckon.

youll love it I'm sure 

I whole-heartedly agree.I can honestly say I've never seen a festival like Boomtown. It really is an immersive world and you can see the effort they put into each tiny detail. It will literally blow your mind the moment you step foot into the first district. There's so much to see and do, the first day I went for a wander to get my bearings, came back 5 hours later and hadn't even been downtown yet.