Longdrops with a 3 year old!

gorfield

I am getting increasingly worried about this situation.. especially in the dark!

Last time I took my child she was in nappies and there were still some portaloos around - I didnt see any last time.

What do other parents do?? those longdrop "seats" are not for sitting on and to be honest I would be scared of her falling down!!!

I know there are decent toilets in the kids field but I am not spending the whole weekend there.

Surely the size of the seat in a portaloo is the same or very nearly as that of a long drop. If sanitation is your worry, then maybe keep plenty wet wipes and spare toilet roll in your bag. Also it's going to be easier fitting the both of you into a long drop cubicle than a portaloo. Failing all that, you have the flush loos at the top of Big Ground. Good luck, I can't imagine really :)

Take a potty and then she can use that, you can tip it down the long drop.  Or get one of those toilet seats that sits inside the edge of the normal seat.  Or hold your daughter over the long drop...if possible.  Is your daughter likely to be awake during darkness - bearing in mind it doesn't get dark til late?

Buy one of those folding portable pottys you can use nappy sacks in? You could even hold her over a sheepee urinal! There are a lot of compost toilets about now, scout them out, I only had the unfortunate pleasure of using long drops (with a sheewee thankfully) once or twice last year (williams green and greenfields come to mind). I had a similar problem with my 8 year old when he wanted a poo. Couldn't manage it in the compost loos and then finally had no choice but to use the long drops at the top of pennards. I had to have a scarf across my mouth to stop me gagging and basically wiped the whole area down first. Good luck!

We've been taking the Potette Plus for a few years (got a 5yr old and two 3yr olds) and it's great. Don't have a problem with stability as long as the legs on it are clicked into place properly. Also carried sanitising wipes  for those times we did use a long drop. But the Potette also sits on top of the long drop seats so you can perch a child without fear of them falling in.

Out and about around the site, the portable potties or seat inserts are a good idea. If you stay at Wicket family field, there are compost loos, including kids' ones if she's big enough to use them. Well looked after by the crew, and don't smell much at all. I think there might be some kids' ones at Cockmill meadow too, but last time we stayed there our boy was only 6 months, so it wasn't really something we worried about!