Phil Collins 'Out of Retirement'

Ommadawn

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at Uni we bought one of our mates a second hand copy of Serious Hits Live for his birthday as a joke.  After listening to it a few times we all actually ended up actually liking it, and became the most listened to album in the house.

I'd love to hear Sussudio blasting out across the Pyramid field!

Edited by windy_miller

It's only today I've bothered to check the real lyric to ELO's 'Don't Bring Me Down', it always sounds to me like 'Don't Bring Me Down....Bruce!' but now I see it is 'Groos' whatever the hell that is. I'm sticking to my version, makes more sense to me.

I've sang the word Bruce to that all my life. Quite disappointed to see it isn't to be honest. groos?? No such thing

It's only today I've bothered to check the real lyric to ELO's 'Don't Bring Me Down', it always sounds to me like 'Don't Bring Me Down....Bruce!' but now I see it is 'Groos' whatever the hell that is. I'm sticking to my version, makes more sense to me.

I've sang the word Bruce to that all my life. Quite disappointed to see it isn't to be honest. groos?? No such thing

#TeamBruce

I'm not having it that it is anything other than Bruce. If this is true, my whole like has been a lie.

Don't get all the hate for Phil considering some of the dross we've had as headliners and in the headliners thread. Coldplay, Beyonce, Gorillaz, Kanye, Kasabian, The Killers, Jay-Z, The Verve, Muse etc.

I'm not a fan outside a tune or two (great drummer mind you) but I find the vitriolic hatred for him a bit odd.

Just to cross-pollinate the threads bit, I find it fascinating that Phil Collins is so hated, and yet Noel G is just a bit of a divisive figure.

PC is an easy target. He's not very cool, probably a bit of a tory, and a bit too 'straight' for the tastes on this board. He's also produced some stinkers. But he's also been associated with some incredible stuff, whether early Genesis, his first two solo records (which are both great albums actually - have many of the most vitriolic on here actually listened to them, or do they base their prejudice [understandably, if ignorantly] on Sussudio and Groovy Kind Of Love?) or session stuff. He is one of the very best rock drummers of all time, IMLTHO, bringing the jazz feel from his early playing and time with Brand X to more conventional rock stuff. Have you ever watched live footage of him playing with Genesis in, say '72-75? OMG, he was incredible. And he sang brilliantly from the kit too. And for those of us of a certain vintage, the fact that he drummed on Do They Know It's Christmas will always convey a poignant memory.

Compare him to Noelly G in terms of pure musical ability, and the Manc Master should bow his head in reverence. 

Now, am I interested in seeing Phil at Glastonbury? Probably not. But if it was a straight fight for my patronage between him and NGHFB....?

"There's a girl that's been on my mind, ALL the time, Su-su-suddi....."

:)

Ben

That's at least 3 people extolling the virtues of Su(stu)sudio. Let me be clear, it's an abomination of a tune. Get a grip, the lot of ya!

I hope you're not (mis)counting me in that threesome, my little garden-fellow killer!

I was quite clear that it is execrable, and as such forms a basis for much of the hatred that is based on knowledge of <1% of his work over the years!

It is grim, mind. I remember buying No Jacket Required on vinyl, having been a huge Genesis fan and liked his first two records. What a depressing day for that teenager...

Ben

For years my mate Groos used to try and tell me the song was about him, and I would hit and send him out the room while sternly telling him its about my other mate Bruce.

How silly do I feel now. And Im never believing Bruce again either!!

I hope you're not (mis)counting me in that threesome, my little garden-fellow killer!

I was quite clear that it is execrable, and as such forms a basis for much of the hatred that is based on knowledge of <1% of his work over the years!

It is grim, mind. I remember buying No Jacket Required on vinyl, having been a huge Genesis fan and liked his first two records. What a depressing day for that teenager...

Ben

You make many a good point Ben and I apologise for mistakenly throwing you in with the unfathomable Susudio appreciators. One thing I feel I must point out however, is that Genesis were always bloody awful so the Collins solo material being shite should have come as no surprise to anyone. 

You make many a good point Ben and I apologise for mistakenly throwing you in with the unfathomable Susudio appreciators. One thing I feel I must point out however, is that Genesis were always bloody awful so the Collins solo material being shite should have come as no surprise to anyone. 

Right, that's it.

Outsaaard. Now!

I'm gonna give you a right good 'idin'...

Ben