Do you know ELO + how old are you?

stuartbert two hats

Choose one of the below  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one of the below

• I am in my twenties or younger and I know more than 3 ELO songs
    • I am in my thirties and I know more than 3 ELO songs
    • I am in my forties or older and I know more than 3 ELO songs
    • I am in my twenties or younger and I have very little familiarity with ELO
    • I am in my thirties and I have very little familiarity with ELO
    • I am in my forties or older and I have very little familiarity with ELO

There appear to be people who not only know ELO songs, but like them.  Both of these facts I find baffling and I'm wondering how much age has to do with it.  Surely nobody under the age of forty would willingly listen to Jeff's elevator rock? ;) 

This is slightly tongue in cheek, I'm sure I'll love ELO one day, but for now place me firmly in the ignorant 30-odd bunch.

And yes, the poll is biased around my own age group. I'm self-aware to notice it, but egotistical enough to not change it :P

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's inteteresting that people have never heard of them, they were massive at the time of the hit singles, up their with Queen in popularity. I guess this is what happens when the main man just calls it a day. There's been ELO 2 and some members still quote "from ELO" in their tour info (I saw one at a little festival years ago, he was a right miserable bugger and clearly hated the fact that the only reason anyone had turned out to see him was to hear him play some ELO), but to have faded to the point where people just have no clue who they are is astounding to me.

Watched Paul (again!) last night and there were 2 ELO songs in that.

You know far more of their material than you think you do. 

I don't.  I find their songs irredeemably uncatchty.  Every song I play on suggestion from here I find unrecognisable and immemorable.  I'm sure I've heard several ELO songs over the years, but I don't know any of them well enough to sing along to.  And I wouldn't recognise the vast majority of them, I assure you.

Looks like my theory was off.  Maybe it is a geographical thing...

I only know Mr blue sky from listening to local classic rock stations and don't bring me down from the 2 many djs mix! 

To my untrained ear they sound like a poor man's Beatles but wtf do I know  

Most people have heard the name but maybe not familiar with the tunes  

Edited by rubenz