Another price hike

chestwig

Are  "poor people" this year's Scousers? Seem to recall a huge amount of bollocks written about Liverpudlians and tent theft around last year's festival.

One of my fathers stable hand's was from Liverpool and we caught the little toe rag stealing potatoes from the pantry, although saying that one of my nanny's was also a 'scoucer' and she was a lovely lady. 

Edited by bigfurbdogg

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucked up the quote... sorry. It should have read "when there was no limit to how many got into the festival for free (ie, before the fence), there was more (not less!) thieving"

I don't think it was anything to do with whether they were well off or not, more down to people going for the weekend on the spur of the moment - because they could - and then realising they didn't have a tent, sleeping bags, enough money etc for the weekend, so they just helped themselves.

Becuase they could

Yes, that makes sense, and i sincerely hope people with that attitude have now been priced out of the festival. I could think of nothing worse than having your weekend ruined because some free loader has stolen your sleeping bag/tent. 

It would be interesting to compare crime rates between 2008 and 2007 or 2009, when the festival took forever to sell out so it was easier to get tickets too.

And while you could give fairly sane reasons for poorer people committing more thefts than rich people, I'm not sure you could do the same for other crimes such as sexual offences or drug related offences.

And you can garuntee if the ticket price got doubled next year then crime would decrease. 

I see what you're getting at: the more costly a ticket, the more risky the "investment" that buying a ticket is for a thief. I agree that this is true.

However.

As you say, upping the ticket price will encourage more affluent people to attend the festival, and bring more valuable stuff, and carry more money around with them. And (...can you see where this is going?) that therefore increases the average value of stuff a thief will be able to steal, thus restoring the equilibrium of the "investment".

(And I'd argue the reason theft has dropped is because mobile phones were the high-ticket item, and those and tablets are increasingly painful to fence now as the security on them improves, while nicking tents and sleeping bags and low ticket items will barely win you back the ticket price, and you can just wonder in on Monday and do it without a chance of getting nicked either... cash is pretty much the only thing worth having now).

Look at football, working class sport attended by predominantly working class people, a season ticket for a premiership team can cost the equivalent of 4 Glasto's yet the working class have not been priced out of football, I could not imagine Tarquin and Pandora going to the Emirates to see Arsenal 20 times a year, so working class football fans manage to save fine for their season tickets without the need for instalments.

I know Mardy has the pointed out the actual stats, but you are mad to hold that view? Maybe further down the leagues, but in the Premier League its certainly not the working class sport it was!

Christ West Ham charged on average £40 a ticket and apart from recently, it has been some dire football!