Who popped your Glastonbury cherry?

LeeGalvin

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shire horses  (mark Radcliffe and Mark Riley) on the other stage in 97. Then the stage 'sank in the mud' and kenickie didn't play. Bit of a 6 music morning going on there.

What a shame, Kenickie are fucking great. Never heard Radcliffe and Riley's musical output (it's brand new information to me that they have some) but judging by what a pair of trumpets they are on the radio, I've decided I'm not a fan.

Stumbled across Ellen & The Escapades on the Thursday night at the Greenpeace stage in '10. Ended up watching their two other gigs on site that year and became friends with Ellen Smith, the lead singer. Their music will always remind me of that magical first Glasto.

Sadly the band have since gone their separate ways. 

Magic Numbers opening the Other stage in 2010. Tried to get to Queens Head on the Thursday, but it was rammed, so we just chilled out drinking mojitos, getting wasted and talking shit. :)

so glad I didn't get dragged to pyramid on Friday morning to see Rolf!

Having left the Magic Numbers halfway through, I can confirm that Rolf was marginally more entertaining. 

it was indeedy; really weird hour or so  after hearing MJ had died. Even weirder the following morning, waking to see all the MJ RIP t shirts for sale, talk about identifying a market opportunity!

we didn't make it to see them, but heard them from the tent if that counts? 

Mine was Bjorn Again, opening the Pyramid in 1999! Haha. Epic sing-along!

Mine also.  On the one hand I sort of wish it had been someone really epic and cool, but to be honest the irreverence seems equally fitting.  1999 was a great year, happiest crowd I've seen apart from 2010.