Ease of access to and from campervan fields

Smeble

im contemplating getting CV tickets for next year I'm just wondering how easy it is getting in and out of the festival each day.

im assuming the Wednesday is pretty much like getting through to camp, queue, exchange tickets for wristband, cursory search and then enter, but without mountains of stuff?

but what is it like after that, is it just a case of showing your wristband as you walk through the gate or do they make it harder than it needs to be?

im contemplating getting CV tickets for next year I'm just wondering how easy it is getting in and out of the festival each day.

im assuming the Wednesday is pretty much like getting through to camp, queue, exchange tickets for wristband, cursory search and then enter, but without mountains of stuff?

but what is it like after that, is it just a case of showing your wristband as you walk through the gate or do they make it harder than it needs to be?

It all depends on the time of day you're going through!

It can take anything from 5 minutes to 45 minutes just queuing to get to the site access point. - (East CV/Gate C), this is at the busiest times of day... Both ways too... (In and Out)

Bear in mind that you have to show your wristband (twice on most occasions) and your actual festival ticket (which is UV scanned) each time you go in/out.

Also, on the way in, if you're walking in on your own, you most probably will get searched.... Just saying....!!!

Didn't ever seem too bad, it seemed to get longer as the weekend went on. The queue never seemed longer than 10 minutes to me though but it may have been longer than that. I got searched once over the weekend, they randomly pull people to the side and look through your bag and jacket pockets etc. They give you pass out (but if paper) when you leave each day and whatever you do don't lose it like one of my friends did. He had to go to the portacabin at the top of the hill and wait for a hours to be grilled and fill out a few forms.

Edited by tweed1981
Bad spelling

You need your wristband, your ticket, and a passout ticket to get back into the festival each time.  Given that originally I can get in with just a ticket it winds me up that I then need three pieces of id to get back in.

The queues aren't too bad. Wednesday you just time it based on how quickly the queues have died down, the other days it's pretty easy. Given I'm too knackered by the end of the day to partake of the naughty corner I join the other oldies queing to get out after the headliners but it's fine too.  Can get pretty muddy on wet years tho.

So they make it harder than it needs to be.

why give you a wristband if you need to keep your ticket and a pass out ticket?

i guess it's the price to pay for a comfy bed, accommodation you don't need to build first and a fridge to keep your alcohol cold.

If you stay in East, there's a lockup by the entrance bit, which is handy for leaving things to pick up each morning, or drop off late at night to retrieve the next day (like chairs etc)

You need your wristband, your ticket, and a passout ticket to get back into the festival each time.  Given that originally I can get in with just a ticket it winds me up that I then need three pieces of id to get back in.

So they make it harder than it needs to be.

why give you a wristband if you need to keep your ticket and a pass out ticket?

It's a way of preventing people getting in for nothing, to avoid people walking out with loads of tickets and wristbands to let friends back in for free - it's one pass out per person, and to take that back in when they return to the entrance gates.

If you stay in East, there's a lockup by the entrance bit, which is handy for leaving things to pick up each morning, or drop off late at night to retrieve the next day (like chairs etc)

It's a way of preventing people getting in for nothing, to avoid people walking out with loads of tickets and wristbands to let friends back in for free - it's one pass out per person, and to take that back in when they return to the entrance gates.

seems OTT but having seen a few videos on YouTube there are still people trying to find ways in for free

The queues, security and the multiple bits of paper are nothing compared to the hill of death from Gate-C to E21. On a wet year I've seen countless people stretchered off for first aid after coming a cropper going up/down the muddy hill path.

The queues, security and the multiple bits of paper are nothing compared to the hill of death from Gate-C to E21. On a wet year I've seen countless people stretchered off for first aid after coming a cropper going up/down the muddy hill path.

is the hill really that bad? 

What with the OTT entry/exit system, queuing, and hill of death I'm not sure campervaning it is the way to go. 

Im taking my motorhome to the IOW but you are on site and it's flat, 

whats the nightlife like in the CV field, is it social or does everyone just use it as a place to crash?

The hill does get a bit much after a while and as mentioned, can be very tricky when wet. I've stayed the the East CV fields half a dozen times and i don't remember there being much in the way of night life, a few small groups who are parked up together may sit around a bit having food and drinks but other than that its just a base for sleeping

Pretty quite - E19-25 are classed "Family fields" and it's frowned upon to be rowdy late at night - this year the people across from us got a bollocking from the marshals for having music playing at 1AM Wednesday night.

E14-18 are supposed to be more lively but having stayed in them in 2013 & 2014 they still just seem to be a place to crash & sleep.

TBH your more likely to stumble on some people sitting round a BBQ drinking beer in the CV fields than any parties.

West CV access into the site is easier - and nearer to Arcadia, The park & Glade. But quite a hike to the Pyramid and kidz field.

Why not chuck a tent in the CV drive down with your stuff park up and tent It inside the fence - but keep all your stuff in the CV?

That way you wont have to carry tons of stuff in on Wednesday and just pop back for clean clothes and more beer as you need it (when the queues are small) - plus if its a wet one you have the option of a dry bed. Then Sunday afternoon pack the tent up drop it off in the CV and your ready to go as soon as you want Sunday night or get a good nights kip in the CV before setting off Monday.

Edited by Penrhos

• 3 weeks later...

hi ya

we are lucky enough to get campervan tix for next year. What time can we access the fields ?

Also can you get onto the Glasto site ? or do you have to stay in campervan field ?

Thank you !

Campervan fields officially open at noon on the Tuesday, but folks were getting in earlier than that this year. You can't get onto site until Wednesday morning along with everyone else, so chill out Tuesday afternoon...get set up, have a bbq, drink and take in the vibe :)

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

On the wednesday, you can join the 2 hour gate queue if you're keen, or wait until about lunchtime and walk thru in 5 minutes.

Makes a lot of sense.  Have a lazy breakfast first.  No point in rushing in at 9am when you don't have to race to find a place for your tent.

• 4 months later...
On 18 October 2015 at 8:44 AM, Stave_1974 said:

Put your tickets in the clear plastic thingy attached to the neck ribbon on entry, the enclosed booklet is quite handy if you're a newbie , old hands forgive me we all know its all contained within the grey stuff somewhere !!

Edited by babyonastick1

On 22 October 2015 at 1:58 AM, Smeble said:

is the hill really that bad? 

What with the OTT entry/exit system, queuing, and hill of death I'm not sure campervaning it is the way to go. 

Im taking my motorhome to the IOW but you are on site and it's flat, 

whats the nightlife like in the CV field, is it social or does everyone just use it as a place to crash?

My wife says YES, I'm allowed to have my own opinion apparently so I say it's a necessary evil for a luxurious comfortable & warm sleep so i say welcome it and in the morning as you walk down it feeling very excited at what the day will bring. Keep all your tickets especially the re entry one VERY safe. Do not lose it because the very friendly people will help but this can take a while. Final thought is hold tight to 2 things: your ticket & your sanity !

Is it possible for friends of mine to access the campervan fields if they're not actually staying in a campervan?  I'll be in campervan west and am bringing a load of booze for some friends who'll be arriving separately and camping in the main area.  I was therefore wondering if I'll be allowed to bring them into the field to show them around and collect their booze?

15 minutes ago, WallaceHigh said:

Is it possible for friends of mine to access the campervan fields if they're not actually staying in a campervan?  I'll be in campervan west and am bringing a load of booze for some friends who'll be arriving separately and camping in the main area.  I was therefore wondering if I'll be allowed to bring them into the field to show them around and collect their booze?

yep, it's not a problem after the main festival gates have opened.

Before then, in theory people in cars are held back in the car parks until near gate opening time.