Is Glasto suitable for partially disabled?

Terence Fletcher

I have paid a deposit to go to Glasto next year, first timer, but I have a knee condition called 'bone on bone' that causes my knee to swell after a lot of walking

It is controllable by drugs, but what i want to know is would i be allowed to use a walking stick/cane at Glasto? security/safety and all that

Cheers

Will

yea no worries old son ..i would be in touch with the disabled team tho and see wot they can do to help .

do you have a blue badge..if so you can use all disabled facilities if not they if they can help they will .there a great team .

walking sticks ect great flags not so great lol

There's no problem at all with sticks etc,  but,   being a farm,  it can be rough,  uneven ground and distances between stages are large.  You might want to plan a little more carefully the if you were at other smaller festivals to take account of this.  

You will find people with all sorts of physical disabilities  - in wheelchairs, on crutches and with sticks! And of course those with less visible health issues which make walking and exploring all aspects of the site a bit more difficult. That said if you pace yourself, take plenty of rest - and yes don't worry about taking a folding chair or one of those chair stick things to sit in if you need it! There are seating spots around the site too. Some of the site is hilly and you may not make it everywhere. the year I was recovering from a broken ankle I avoided some more difficult bits and rested when I could- especially with the mud which was hard going- but I still enjoyed it. The walk in can be a bit long depending where you park if coming by car. Camping on site in the flatter areas may be helpful rather than the campervans or Worthy View. I am sure you will have a great time:) 

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated

In terms of the disabled team at Glasto I don't think they would be able to help as I am not blue badge registered disabled, it's the legacy of a long term footballing injury so not what would qualify for blue badge

Glad you can take a stick there, in this health and safety obsessed society it did occur to me that some jobsworth security guard might take it off me incase it could be used as a weapon, but this has reassured me

Get some strapping for your knee (you'll need it) a sturdy walking stick with a large foot so it doesn't sink in the mud (if it rains) and make sure you take plenty of painkillers & medication. I did 2011 with a fractured coccyx which has left me with coccydynia and with the right pain relief and careful planning you can still do a festival the size of Glastonbury - it just slows you down a bit, which means ultimately you'll miss a few things you would have seen if more able, but I still went and I had a great time (probably because I was full of oxy-codeine and cider).

Glowsticks or led light strings on the stick for night time will help prevent it being knocked away by people who can't see it.

Beware of the hill at gate-C up to E21 it's a killer even for able-bodied people.

Edited by Penrhos