Working / volunteering at Glastonbury

GlastoAwe

So after a second unsuccessful ticket year (last year didn't hurt too much as we were getting married the following week so took it as a sign we might be too busy!) I'm obviously keen to find my way back. I'd be more than happy to work to get my ticket - previous bar experience; give information/advice/support as my job; not afraid of physical stuff like litter picking etc, however, we usually take our daughter who will be four next festival and don't have a childcare option not to take her unless one of us misses out. Perhaps it's too ambitious or naive but I wonder whether anyone has ever worked/volunteered and gone with children - is it possible to negotiate shifts to work around this if we were both to work; are there any options to work in the kidzfield where she could be too? I'm thinking its probably not possible and our only option to try our luck in resales but wanted to check I'm not missing anything?

Perhaps it's too ambitious or naive but I wonder whether anyone has ever worked/volunteered and gone with children - is it possible to negotiate shifts to work around this if we were both to work; are there any options to work in the kidzfield where she could be too? I'm thinking its probably not possible and our only option to try our luck in resales but wanted to check I'm not missing anything?

I don't have kids but I know the main points of the Oxfam Stewards policy on this.. Other groups will vary.

Basically, there's no problem with you taking kids and bringing them into the staff campsite, as long as they comply with the Festival ticket policies (which is fine at Glastonbury as 12 and under don't need a ticket), but there's absolutely no childcare options provided. Because shift patterns go 24/7, you can't really rely on leaving them in the kidz field or wherever so you definitely need to make sure that someone responsible is around at all times.

What this ultimately means is that you either need to request to each be put on different shift patterns so that one of you is always available (which would inevitably mean you wouldn't see each other all that much), or you need to have friends at the Festival who you trust to do some babysitting when you're on shift.

Edited by incident

So after a second unsuccessful ticket year (last year didn't hurt too much as we were getting married the following week so took it as a sign we might be too busy!) I'm obviously keen to find my way back. I'd be more than happy to work to get my ticket - previous bar experience; give information/advice/support as my job; not afraid of physical stuff like litter picking etc, however, we usually take our daughter who will be four next festival and don't have a childcare option not to take her unless one of us misses out. Perhaps it's too ambitious or naive but I wonder whether anyone has ever worked/volunteered and gone with children - is it possible to negotiate shifts to work around this if we were both to work; are there any options to work in the kidzfield where she could be too? I'm thinking its probably not possible and our only option to try our luck in resales but wanted to check I'm not missing anything?

well that would rule out the WBC as there is no way would they give you permission to enter the crew campsite with any children { whatever their age } - they move stock about with heavy machinery so they cant have children getting in the way and its a insurance requirement that children don't have access - they would also go nuts if you were not camping in the crew area as shifts can change so they depend on people being close to hand + you would have to be with the WBC 20+ years before you would be able to pick your own shifts - its all down to luck as to what shifts you end up with.

But if I was in your situation I would look at the smaller charities as they may be more flexible.

I had a look at Oxfam and does feel like it might be a logistical nightmare as although they are willing to give opposite shifts, I guess firstly we'd be unlikely to get to Glastonbury having not volunteered for them previously and secondly we'd probably not actually get too much time to enjoy the festival together as a family! 

Thanks glasto-worker for your point about the campsite as I hadn't considered that some of these workers areas are probably not as child safe as family camping areas. 

Thinking we might have to hold out for resales, however, does anyone know if there is a list of any of the smaller charities who are there?

sorry this site is a right wind up since the change as it keeps repeating things it should not ' with no clear way how to sort it out ' 

well of course as you have never worked there you would not know its not just a campsite - stock is moving in and out all the time.

sure they have it fenced off but it would be easy for a kid to wander in thinking it was fun - we have 40 foot refrigerated trucks reversing in and at times there can be five vehicles moving  at the same time

as you can see its not a place for kids.

now I don't know who runs it but somewhere on these boards there was a group who control the cleaning of toilets - they were not after cleaners - they wanted a few volunteers who would be willing to inspect the toilets - don't have all the details because I already had a job but I Know they were looking for people to work day time - have no clue where they were camping but I suspect it was in the general crew area in or close to Tom's field - do a search as you may find them - it was just a e-mail address.

there will be more posts next year from various bodies

P1010353.JPG

Edited by glasto-worker

now I don't know who runs it but somewhere on these boards there was a group who control the cleaning of toilets - they were not after cleaners - they wanted a few volunteers who would be willing to inspect the toilets - don't have all the details because I already had a job but I Know they were looking for people to work day time - have no clue where they were camping but I suspect it was in the general crew area in or close to Tom's field - do a search as you may find them - it was just a e-mail address.

Sounds like Gaia's Guardians are the people who do this at Glasto.  Would be an ideal job for those people that want to make a difference to end the land-pissing scourge.

Sounds like Gaia's Guardians are the people who do this at Glasto.  Would be an ideal job for those people that want to make a difference to end the land-pissing scourge.

well done - that is them - I don't think it was March that I spotted the post so I reckon it was a later post as they may have had a few drop outs - as I had a place I did not note all the details.

Just to say that you can take children and litterpick but one of you would have to do 6-12 and the other 2-6. The good thing would be that if one of you was doing recycling centre then you could camp in cocksmill family camping as the centre is at the top of that field.

The other option would be for one person to work prefestival and the other one on mornings during.

We just leave the children with relatives and litterpick as the shifts are exhausting- I couldnt come off shift and then do childcare.

• 3 months later...

Note I have never worked for them but I know that some people may not have heard of them and as their process starts today it makes sense to list it now.

Please do read all the # terms and conditions # first - if there is something that is not clear ' contact them '

I know that some people may assume that they can get all the shifts they want - unless you have been doing it a very long time then that is highly unlikely to happen - you have to take the rough with the smooth - it can be good fun but you have to be prepared to work - go in with the right attitude and you will fit in.   

All below is their words { edited down for new applicants }

Festaff are delighted to announce that applications for volunteer positions will open NOON Monday 15TH February. 

We have over 30 events on offer including your festival favourites Glastonbury, Isle of Wight, Download, Creamfields, V Festival, Bestival, BST Hyde Park and T in the Park. New events for 2016 include Forgotten Fields and Common People in Oxford. More events will be added throughout the summer so keep your eyes peeled! We have several more roles to choose from at Isle of Wight Festival including wristbanding and info point personnel too.

The majority of events on our roster require a £20 deposit and a £15 non-refundable admin fee to be placed with your application. There are a select few that have different deposit/admin fee rates to pay, these include: Glastonbury, both Common People events, EDC, and each day of the BST Hyde Park series. For further info, please visit the specific event pages on our website.                 

Glastonbury applications 2016
Applications for Glastonbury are not yet open.  We will be contacting you in the near future with details.  Please bear with us until you receive the email.  You will be alerted before any announcements on social media to give you the best chance of success.

Please be aware that volunteer places do fill quickly, so get your applications in soon to avoid disappointment for summer 2016.

We look forward to meeting and working with you in the near future,

The Festaff Management Team